Fatal Attraction

Guest Ashirr-Leigh

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...

Right, it's been aaages since I've updated any of my fanfics but I've been preoccupied with other things and, if I'm being honest, I sort of forgot! <_< I have remembered again though and I am going to try and update them all within the next week, starting with this! :) Hope people actually remember it and are still interested in reading it.. :unsure:

Chapter Three

Laying in bed that night, Kirsty didn't want to cuddle up to Kane. Something about it now felt wrong because, in some way, she felt that she had betrayed her husband because of what had happened - or nearly happened - with Marcus.

As she studied the bright and colourful picture on the wall, she remembered the day that she and Kane had bought it. They'd gone to Spain for a holiday which had taken them years to save for - making it all the more special.

Walking along the street at night in Barcelona, everything was perfect. It was a humid but not clammy night where the street was lit up by huge lamps and filled up with excited young holidaymakers like themselves. That night was there last night when a sudden surge of bright light caught Kirsty's eye.

He was a dirty and downtrodden little man, skinny and small - obviously from lack of food. The clothes that he wore were torn and thinning, all he carried was cardboard in his hand, all blank barring one. This one was beautifully painted with intricate detail in black on a background of contrasting colours - blue and orange.

The little man's light was yellow to help him see and Kirsty was soon mesmerised by his painting. When he saw her, he felt the same. Kane soon appeared by her side and immediately he began scribbling away on his canvas. When the young couple leaned in for a kiss, the painter clapped his hands in excitement and continued to draw. Fifteen minutes later, he presented Kirsty and Kane with the brightly coloured painting, now donning an image of them in black.

"What's wrong, Kirst?"

"Huh?"

Kane could tell that something was wrong with his wife, he always could. He'd known her for years and they'd been close for as long.

"Oh.. emm.. nothing, I'm just not feeling too good."

"Old age not treating you so well, eh?"

Kirsty managed to force a laugh at Kane's joke, desperately trying to convince him that everything was normal. She couldn't tell him about Marcus, he was their friend and nothing had actually happened.

For the time being, Kane seemed to buy into Kirsty's false laughter as he rubbed her arm then turned over to sleep.

"Love ya!"

"Me too."

Sam smiled brightly at Marcus as she went to bed, happier than ever before. He really had made a huge difference in her life. He'd given her confidence that she didn't know was in herself, he made her feel pretty even when she'd just woken up, he made her love herself again.

For Marcus, however, the novelty had long since worn off. When he'd met Sam, he'd instantly been attracted to her - she was a very pretty girl. Her long dark locks and equally as dark eyes made her seem mysterious and he liked this. Plus, there was always the added bonus that she had her own flat and he had only just been evicted.

Initially, though, he had loved her. For a while. Then she began to annoy him. Things that had once seemed cute and quirky now only appeared irritating and predictable. He could only ever reply 'Me too' when she told him those three little words. And anyway, someone else had caught his eye.

Kirsty Phillips.

"Don't stay up too late, you'll regret it in the morning."

"I know, night."

He hated how she always told him what to do. Kirsty never did that to Kane, she would never do that to him.

Kirsty would be the perfect partner, he could just tell. She was pretty, smart, funny, bright.. she was everything. Just the thought of her made him tingle and their near kiss tonight had made him want to jump up and down with happiness.

Ok, so Kirsty hadn't exactly been overly enthusiastic but now she at least knew how he felt. For two years now he had kept his feelings for her a secret but now she knew, and now she could choose.

"Kirst, you have got to be kidding me! It's 6.30 in the morning."

Dani very rarely saw this time of day. Her job as a journalist gave her flexibilty and she normally didn't start work till around 12 in the afternoon, that meant getting up around 10, not 6.30am.

"Look, I'm sorry.. but can I just come in, please?"

Before Dani could answer, Kirsty had barged her way past and was opening the fridge to look for a bottle of water. When she found one, she sat down on the couch and tossed it between her hands.

"Jesus, Kirst, what's got into you?"

Dani knew that Kirsty often went for runs early in the morning but never this early. None of the Sutherlands had ever been a fan of early mornings, Kirsty being no exception. Infact, she used to hate them the most. When her parents had been working early, the responsibility of waking and getting Jade and Kirsty up had fallen with Dani - a task she had hated as much as they had.

"I needed to talk to someone."

As she slouched over to the couch, Dani tried to wake herself up a bit. She hadn't slept greatly that night because Jo had been up almost every hour being sick.

"About what?"

"You can't tell anyone this."

"Whatever."

"I'm serious, Dan, this goes no further, not even to Scott."

"Ok!"

"Promise?"

"Yes!"

Kirsty pulled herself closer to her older sister and gulped down about a quarter of the water before taking a deep breath and beginning to talk.

"It's.. well, it's Marcus. He.. I don't know how to put this exactly.."

"Kirst, did you wake me up at 6.30 in the morning just so that you could drink my water and make no sense on my couch?"

"Dani, this is serious!"

"Well, maybe I could empathise if you would tell me what's going on!"

Another quarter of the bottle disappeared before Kirsty finally outed with it.

"He hit on me last night."

"Who?"

"Marcus! Dani, keep up!"

"Oh right.. ok.. Marcus? Marcus hit on you?"

Kirsty nodded, now beginning to regret telling her sister anything. The more people that knew, the more chance there was of Sam and Kane finding out - and Dani wasn't exactly reknowned for her greatness at keeping secrets!

"How?"

"He tried to kiss me."

"Where?"

"At mines."

"No! I mean.. where?"

"On the lips. Kane and Sam were in the next room, Dan. I mean.. obviously I pulled away from him and I was about to tell him where to go but then Sam came through."

"Did he say anything?"

"Something about how he couldn't help it, I don't know. What do I do?"

Dani was certainly now more awake. What Kirsty was saying came as a shock to her, she thought she knew Marcus, she thought he loved Sam.

"I don't know, what about Sam?"

"What do you mean?"

"Doesn't he love her anymore?"

"I don't know, I didn't exactly get the chance to ask."

"Alright, alright! No need to get stroppy on me, I'm only trying to help. Right.. well.. I don't think you should say anything. To anyone."

"I wasn't planning on it but what if he tries again?"

"He won't if he knows what's good for him. Was this last night?"

"Yeah, I told you that already."

"Oh yeah.. well, he was a bit drunk, was he not?"

"Yeah, I suppose."

"Well there you go then. It was probably just the drink."

What Dani was saying made alot of sense to Kirsty, she hadn't thought of it like that. Perhaps Marcus wouldn't even remember what had happened.. or if he did, he would be too embarrassed to mention it.

"Yeah, you're probably right, thanks Dan."

"No problem."

Dani leaned in to hug her little sister, silently laughing to herself at how paranoid she was. Kirsty had always jumped to conclusions as a kid and it seemed that now, at 30, nothing had changed.

"Now can I go back to sleep?"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey! Again, it's been ages but I worked quite alot on this chapter so please do read and review!

Chapter Four

Marcus woke around 7am but waited until 8 before he got up, just after Sam had left. He had started avoiding her at any possible chance now because seeing her only seemed to rile him even more. He didn't want to be with her. Kirsty, Kirsty was all he wanted!

It was hard, however, to avoid someone when you lived in the same house as them and slept in the same bed. Marcus could hardly even look at Sam now without thinking how unlike Kirsty she was. Not only in a physical sense, personality wise too. Sam was perhaps more shy and retiring whereas Kirsty always said what was on her mind and thought about it later.

Because of this, Marcus had convinced himself that Kirsty would soon declare her undying love for him. She had been about to say something the night before when he had tried to kissed her but Sam and Kane had interrupted. Was that what she was going to say? That she loved him? Some moments, he was almost sure of it.

Disturbing him from his mesmerising fantasy, Marcus' mobile phone rang and began shoogling around the cabinet on which it sat. He picked it up and was immediately disappointed to see that it was Sam calling him. This was something else which he had begun to hate. She had become clingy. She always had to know where he was and expected that they should be together at all possible times.

"Hello?"

"Hey honey, it's me!"

Honey? He wasn't her honey. He wasn't anything to her anymore.

"Of course, I'll be there straight away. Tell her to hold on just a little bit longer. Ok.. yeah.. thanks for letting me know.. see you soon."

Dani put the phone down and sighed as she quickly logged out of her computer and switched it off. It had been the headmistress at Jo's school calling to tell her that Jo had been sick - infront of a class full of students. Many more of them had now added to it.

So Dani now had to leave work to collect her daughter and bring her home. The school was only about 10minutes away so it wouldn't take her long to get there.

Kirsty stood anxiously waiting for Sam outside her place of work. They'd arranged days ago to meet up that lunch time and although Kirsty knew that she would feel extremely uncomfortable, she couldn't cancel without looking suspicious.

Finally, after another 10minutes of waiting, Sam appeared, frantically waving at Kirsty.

"Hey! Sorry I'm a bit late - awkward customer."

"No worries. So.. where we headed?"

"Well, I've only got an hour.. so do you want to just go to the cafe on the corner?"

"Sounds good to me."

They set off, Kirsty a little more cautious than usual. She wasn't talking as much in fear that she would somehow blab something about the night before and cause unnecessary problems. Sam, however, had not noticed and enthusiastically grabbed Kirsty's arm, entwining it with hers.

"Mum, you have to stop."

"Why?"

Before Jo could reply, Dani got her answer. Jo shoved her hand against her mouth in a desperate attempt to keep the sick down.

"Alright, alright, we're just at the Diner, you can go to the toilet in there."

As soon as the car stopped, Jo jumped up and ran for the Diner door. Anyone in her way was relentlessly pushed aside, for their own good as much as hers, and she made a frantic dive for the first empty toilet cubicle.

Dani walked in a couple of minutes later and immediately spotted Marcus, sitting alone with a cup of coffee which he was stirring over and over again. She sat down opposite him and smiled before saying hello.

"Oh, Dani, hey."

"Not feeling so great today?"

As she said this, she chuckled, implicating that he would have a hangover from the previous night's drinking.

"You what?"

"Have you got a hangover?"

"Nah, why'd you ask that?"

"Oh.. emm.. just.. you look a bit out of it, plus there's the coffee."

Marcus correctly sensed that Dani had meant something else by her remark.

"What's up, Dani?"

"Nothing."

Dani desperately tried to act like normal, not wanting to give away the fact that she knew about the 'kiss' from the night before.

"So, you seen Kirsty today?"

"Eh.. yeah, for a little bit this morning."

"How is she?"

"What do you mean?"

"After last night."

"Last night..?"

Was he just going to tell her what happened?

"She didn't tell you?"

"Tell me what?"

"Oh.. I don't know if I should say or not."

"No, go on."

"Alright.. but you can't tell anyone."

Dani nodded, eagerly awaiting what he was about to say.

"Kirsty had a bit much to drink last night and.. well.. she kissed me."

"What?"

"Yeah.."

Just as Dani was about to inquire more, Jo appeared from the bathroom, the colour now returning to her cheeks as she casually eyed up the mud pie behind the counter.

"I've got to go, Marcus."

"Sure, see you around.. and remember, no one's to know!"

He said this with such a smile on his face that Dani immediately knew he was lying. Kirsty had sincerely been worried this morning and plus, there was no way that she would lie to her. No, Kirsty had been right. Marcus liked her. He liked her too much.

Kane lay on the couch with Kirsty in his arms and felt like the luckiest man alive. Everyday with Kirsty felt like that. He often looked at her and just couldn't believe that she was his wife. His wife, not someone else's, his.

"I love you, babe."

"Aw, it's not time to go already, is it?"

"I'm afraid so!"

Every Monday night from 8-10pm, Kane would have a charter on the boat to take out, meaning that he had to be there to set up for around 7.30. Now that it was 7.15, he was already pushing it for time.

"Just 5 more minutes!"

"Can't! Sorry! I'll be home before you know it though, ok?"

"Alright.. I suppose if you have to go then!"

They delicately kissed each other goodbye and Kirsty watched from the window as Kane walked down the path and out of view. She hated Monday nights.

Dani rang Kirsty's mobile and found with great frustration that it was, again, switched off. It was probably low battery after her sister had lost the charger for the umpteenth time! She decided just to leave a voicemail message before leaving for work to make up the lost time for earlier in the day.

"Kirst, it's Dan.. I'm just calling to say that I think you might be right about Marcus. He was real weird in the Diner today.. so just.. I don't know.. keep your distance for a while, yeah? Ok, I've got to go to work now but I'll call in on you later tonight and we can chat. See ya!"

Kirsty's phone sat on the bed, switched off because the charger was lost, as Dani had assumed. Just as she was about to sit down, a knock at the door forced her to turn back around. She opened the door, not expecting to see who was behind it.

"Marcus.. hi."

Immediately, he walked past her and closed the door behind himself.

"We've got to talk, Kirst."

"Yeah.."

"We can't deny it anymore."

"Deny what?"

"Our feelings for each other."

"Our feelings? Marcus, I love Kane."

"You don't need to pretend anymore."

With every sentence, he moved closer to her and she felt more and more threatened.

"I'm not pretending, Marcus. Please, just listen to me. I love Kane, you love Sam."

"I don't love her, I love you, it's always been you, Kirst."

As he said this, he put his hand down onto her shoulder and pulled her yet closer to him.

"What are you doing? I think you should leave."

"Not until you say that you love me."

"But I don't! I don't know where you got this from."

"Come on, Kirst.."

With a gentle thud, he had her down on the couch, his grip on her shoulder now tightening.

"Marcus, let me up, I love Kane, not you."

"You're teasing me, Kirsty."

"No I'm not!"

"Yes you are.. and I don't like it.."

She could see that he was becoming increasingly angry, but what could she do? Admit that she loved him when she didn't? Never could she betray Kane like that.

"Please, Marcus, just leave me go."

"No.. I've waited for too long now.."

Kirsty tried to scream as he forced his body on top of her but his other hand quickly fell on her mouth. What was he doing? Why wouldn't he stop and listen to her?

• 1 year later...

Archived