Kate Ritchie in Seven's Celebrity Spelling Bee

Guest Andy

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmm... this post just disapeared :huh::blink: so I will post it again.

ON THE BOX

mX

25 October 2005 (Sydney)

kateritchiemxpic3ct.th.jpg

Taking a step outside your comfort zone can be scary, but for Home & Away's KATE RITCHIE it's all in a day's work.

Q. You're one of 12 stars on The Great Celebrity Spelling Bee. How will it work?

A. It's a 90-minute special. We were divided into three groups and compete as a team until there's one. Then that team turns on each other until the winner is left. The funniest thing was that we were allowed to ask for help once each from (American national spelling bee champ) Samir Patel if we were struggling. He was great, but it was a bit embarrassing asking an 11-year-old how to spell.

Q. Why did you do the show?

A. I've been doing Home & Away for 18 years, so it was nice to do something different. I said yes, but then had second thoughts, but I told myself to be brave, stop hiding behind your character and maybe you'll do really well. In the end, I was happy with my performance.

Q. Which celeb was your biggest competitor?

A. (Deal or No Deal host) Andrew O'Keefe. He wasn't nervous at all. Either he was tricking everyone and trying to psych us out, or he's just a really good speller. He did prove to be good competition.

Q. Simone Warne was on the show, too. What was she like?

A. I hadn't met her before and she was lovely. She slipped into the role and was just as nervous as me, so I didn't feel like I was on my own.

Q. What did you learn?

A. That I need to read more. And it's so different reading a word on a page than having to dictate the letters. We didn't have the luxury of writing down the word and eliminating the one that looked wrong.

Q. The champ wins $50,000 for their nominated charity. What was yours?

A. The Motor Neurone Disease Association because some members of my family suffer from the disease. I chose a charity close to home.

Q. What's coming up for your character, Sally?

A. A lot and it's not all good. Her hubby Flynn has cancer and he's made the decision that he'd rather the quality of life, than quantity. It's great to have juicy storylines to sink my teeth into.

Q. When you're not on set, what keeps you busy?

A. I love to cook and keep the fridge stocked. I'm a bit of a homebody. I love entertaining and at this time of year I hit the fish markets. My best friend has just had a baby, Sampson, so I'm playing with him, too.

Q. Are you looking forward to the Cartwright-Hewitt arrival?

A. Definitely. I spoke to Bec recently and she's excited. We keep in touch regularly. It's great, she'll have a new baby for Christmas.

Q. Finish this sentence: At midnight, I am . . . ?

A. Hopefully asleep before my 14-hour shift the next day.

* The Great Celebrity Spelling Bee is on Sunday at 7.30pm on Channel 7.

MEGAN MILLER

Archived