Boo-hoo switcheroo

Guest Andy

Boo-hoo switcheroo

The Age

19 August 2005

TELEVISION PREVIEW

TELEVISION PREVIEW: HOME AND AWAY (Seven, 7pm)

WHAT'S the difference between the two women pictured above? Yes, one's blonde and the other's a redhead. But that's not it.

True, the one on the left won a TV magazine statue thingamy for most popular actress this year, and the one on the right didn't. But have another go.

All right, the one on the left did win Seven's Dancing with the Stars last year, has been on the cover of Total Girl magazine's "Baby Animal Issue" two years in a row and recently released a single called All Seats Taken, while the other studied acting at NIDA, has had a guest role in All Saints and small parts in Charlotte's Web and Shine.

OK, there are lots of differences. It was a badly worded question. Let's turn it around: what do they have in common?

Answer: they're both pregnant and in a relationship with Kym, who's the father of their child (we think), but they're really in love with Scott, whom they fell for after their husband, Noah, was shot and killed by Sarah, and now they battle cardiomyopathy, and it's unsure whether their baby will survive the disease without a life-saving operation, which they now have doubts about because they've had one of their famous visions about the future. And they're both called Hayley Lawson and live in Summer Bay.

Even that's not quite true: the blonde (Rebecca "Bec" Cartwright) can be called Hayley Lawson until 7.32 tonight, when the Home and Away credits role and she passes the character she's played for nearly seven years to the redhead (Ella Scott Lynch).

The actor switch must be an odd experience for a cast, having to transfer years of emotional back-story to a newbie actor. But it's worse for the audience. When a new face plays a favourite character our world is knocked sideways, and for a while we feel as though we're riding a skateboard, drunk, during an earthquake.

Have a look at H&A next week once Ms Lynch has slipped into the skin shed by Bec. When we leave blonde, cherub-faced Hayley tonight, she's in her hospital bed with tubes up her nose reading over a farewell letter to her true love, written in case she carks it.

Next week we see Kym comforting and kissing her, but while she's still in the hospital get-up she's now a red-head, with a totally different nose, and . . . You want to leap up and shout at the telly, "SHE'S AN IMPOSTER, MATE, DON'T GET SUCKED IN, SHE'S UP TO NO GOOD."

And then someone else comes in and calls the redhead "Hayley", and then another, and you realise you must've gone mad, because the only other explanation is that they've all gone mad, but that'd be like something out of Days of Our Lives, and this is Home and Away, a far superior soap and . . .

It's all too much. I'm off for a lie-down.

I was too busy gasping for air whilst laughing my head off to become too depressed over the Flynn head-switch. The whole thing just threw me.

This guy who looks nothing like Martin Dingle-Wall walking into the diner and Irene saying "ooh love the new haircut!". I was in hysterics, it took me several months to cease shouting"that's not Flynn!" at the screen very time Joel McIlroy appeared.

It will be the same with Hayley....but we will get used to it. And sometimes it is necesary to keep the character going. I have always thought that Neighbours should have done a quick head swap with Joe Scully, which would've far more credidible that that ridiculous "Joe goes off to the farm to help his dad and never once reappears, not even for his daughters wedding/cancer ordeal/murder trial ordeal, or to watch his baby son grow up.

Give new Hayley a couple of months. Who knows, she may even be -gasp- better than Bec Cartwright! :D

There is no logic. They just change them over...

The Cure: I know what you mean about the Flynn change over. They really need to change this Flynn - he just seems like he wants to burst into tears. Martin Dingle-Wall could say all the same things and still bring elements of ruggedness.

There is no logic. They just change them over...

The Cure: I know what you mean about the Flynn change over. They really need to change this Flynn - he just seems like he wants to burst into tears. Martin Dingle-Wall could say all the same things and still bring elements of ruggedness.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

MDW was great eye candy...but honestly I dont think he could act his way out of a paper bag. Joel at least brings more subtelty to the role, which I think complements Sally much better.

I have seen Ella on All Saints, and she is a GOOD actress so I think we should give her a chance. She is not there to play Bec, but to play Hayley. They deliberatly chose a "strong" actress rather than a Bbec look a like, and I think they were very wise to do so.

Archived