Ex-tremity

Guest Krazy Karl

It was the middle of the night, and Dan Baker awoke with a fright. He could tell something was wrong. He just had a really bad feeling running through his body. Something wasn't right. He walked out to the living room of the house he shared with his beautiful wife, Leah, to whom he was only recently married, and picked up the phone.

"Hello?" said the voice on the other end, both wearily, and with some confusion as to why someone would be calling at such a time.

"Hello mum, it's Dan here", he said, seemingly unaware of the time of day.

"Dan? Why the hell are you calling at this time of night?", his mother replied, slightly annoyed.

"Well if you must know, I am ringing just to check that you and dad are ok," he told her, a bit put off by her tone.

"Why the hell wouldn't we be?" she replied, now actually a bit worried for her son. This was not like him.

"Well it is just that I woke up with this incredible feeling that something really bad was about to happen. Something that was going to change my life drastically. I thought maybe one of you had an accident." Dan said, with a lot of concern in his voice.

"Well, there is nothing wrong with us. Go back to bed Dan, you must have just had a bad dream. I'll talk to you another time, at a more decent hour," she replied, hanging up.

Dan was still not convinced everything was alright, but he couldn't think what else could be wrong. He was contemplating waking Leah, but she looked very peaceful, like she was in a deep sleep, so he decided against it, got back into bed, and fell asleep.

"Now listen, I'm going to need you to take VJ to Stella's because I have to get to work. Colleen just called and said she is coming down with something, so I have to open up," Leah told Dan, unaware of the previous nights events.

"I love you Leah, no matter what changes," he told her.

"Are you okay, Dan?" his wife asked him. "What is going to change between now and when I see you at lunchtime."

"Oh, nothings wrong. Can't a guy tell his wife he loves her?" Dan quickly replied, not wanting to worry his wife.

"You're so sweet!", Leah told him, beaming. "No wonder I married you! I'll see you later, okay?"

"Yeah, I'll see you then. Have a good day!" he said, as his wife walked out of the house.

Later that morning, as Dan was walking into Summer Bay High School, he was stopped by Ric Dalby. Ric was enquiring about an assignment that was due later that afternoon. Apparently, Ric hadn't finished it, because he had spent the previous night in the Hospital with Flynn, and was asking for a 24 hour extension. However Dan wasn't really listening. He heard his boss, Barry Hyde, in the next coridoor, talking to Sally Fletcher.

"Miss Fletcher, I have someone to introduce to you. She was just posted here by the department. This is her first teaching post since she received her degree, how long did she say, 6 years ago? She will be teaching Drama. She is just in the office. Come with me please."

Interested, Dan followed the two of them into the office. As soon as he entered a very familiar voice said "Hello Dan, isn't this great! We'll be working side by side!"

Dan's ex-wife, Amanda Vale was standing in front of him, with a really big grin on her face.

Hey... gunna write some more :P Thanks for the comments. As for the no matter what changes, I guess he just felt something big was going to change in his life.

Alright, here I go...

"What the hell is she doing here?" Dan said to Barry, with anger in his eyes.

"It is by mere coincidence I am working here Dan," Amanda replied, looking shocked at her ex-husband's rudeness. "You know how I got my diploma a few years ago in case I needed to fall back on it? Well I was struggling in Hollywood, and decided that maybe I should fall back on it. Besides, I think it is a marvellous thing to be involved in shaping our childrens' future. I applied to the department, was successful, and they posted me here. I was most delighted when I found out. I decided to surprise you!"

"I don't believe you. You made sure you were posted here. I know it" Dan said, looking incredulous.

"Is there going to be a problem with you two working together?" Barry Hyde said, looking slightly worried.

"I don't have a problem with it. I think we will have a great working relationship," said Amanda, beaming.

"If I do have a problem with it, will it change anything," said Dan, with a look of slight hope in his face.

"I'm afraid not," replied Barry. "We need a permenant drama teacher, and I don't think the department will be too impressed if I was to ask for someone else."

"Well I guess I'll have to learn to live with it," said Dan, as he strode off into his office.

"Table 42 wants an extra slice of cheese on their burger," called Colleen Smart, as she walked into the Diner's Kitchen.

Leah was standing at the stove, staring into space, and appeared not to hear her.

"Pet, are you alright," said Colleen, sounding slightly concerned.

"What?" replied Leah, startled. "Oh yeah, fine Colleen. Well, not really. It is just that, well, Dan seemed to be a bit agitated this morning. Like something was troubling him. It could be nothing. I don't know."

"Well maybe you should ask him then. He walked into the Diner a couple of minutes ago. I assumed he would have said hello. Though, he looks just like you. A million miles away!"

"What, Dan's here. Can you watch this for me"

"Sure, pet, take as much time as you need." Colleen said, slightly sarcastically.

"Dan," said Leah. "Are you ok?"

"I knew something bad was going to happen today. I knew it!" said Dan, seemingly unaware that it was his wife he was talking to, and not a total stranger.

"What's happened?" said Leah, curiously.

"I don't know how to tell you this honey. I know your going to like it even less than I do," he replied, with a defeated tone. " The school has a new drama teacher."

Leah laughed. "Is that it! What does that have to do with me?"

"Because you know her. She tried to ruin our wedding. I was married to her!"

"You don't mean... her!" said Leah, now sounding angry!

At that moment, Amanda Vale walked into the Diner. "Hello Leah, it's so good to see you again!"

• 3 weeks later...

Archived