Alf's many not-so-happy returns

Guest Andy

Alf's many not-so-happy returns

The Advertiser

6 July 2005

Home and Away

7pm, Friday, Channel 7

IT'S 4000 episodes up for Home and Away, with present and past Summer Bay residents showing up for Big Alf's surprise 60th birthday bash.

Making return guest appearances on Friday's hour-long shindig are Kristy Wright (Chloe), Norman Coburn (Fisher), Debra Lawrance (Pippa), Rebekah Elmaloglou (Sophie), Les Hill (Blake), Zac Drayson (Will) and Barbara Stephens (Barbara) - all on hand to wish ol' Alf (Ray Meagher) the best.

Naturally, things fail to go smoothly. Jesse (Ben Unwin) propositions Chloe before her demented ex, Troy, shows up. "They let me out on bail," says he. "If I can't have you, no one else will."

Blake, now looking decidedly middle-aged, ends up snogging Sophie for old times' sake.

"I need you to give me another chance," he says, completely sober.

Pregnant Hayley's (Bec Cartwright) there too. The baby is Kim's (Chris Hemsworth) and Hayley all but admits that she doesn't love her unborn's father.

Meagher - as Alf - is one of only two 1988 originals on the show.

The other is Kate Ritchie - aka Sally - who delivers a tearful tribute to Alf (you'd be forgiven for thinking Katie is actually talking for herself, not Sally).

Ritchie recalls getting teary-eyed back in 1988. Apparently autograph hunters were a bit of a freak-out for the then nine-year-old.

"You're kind of brought up learning about stranger danger and all of a sudden you've got people who know you and want to talk to you and seem to know all these things about you but you just don't have a clue who they are.

"That took me a little while to get used to . . . that they weren't scary people and they weren't going to kidnap me."

The 4000th episode contains flashbacks to memorable moments, including the era of Dieter Brummer-Melissa George (Shane and Angel), pictured left.

George, of course, went on to U.S. success with the TV series Alias and movie The Amityville Horror.

She co-stars with Jennifer Aniston and Clive Owen in coming thriller Derailed. Back at Summer Bay, things are certainly not quite so rosy . . . as death and tragedy lurk just around the corner.

Naturally, things fail to go smoothly. Jesse (Ben Unwin) propositions Chloe before her demented ex, Troy, shows up. "They let me out on bail," says he. "If I can't have you, no one else will."

Ohh noo!

This is sort of like (STALKER SPOILER)

Marc when he came to the murder mystery party

Archived