EastEnders

Ashirr-Leigh

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Six characters to leave 'EastEnders'

Six cast members are to leave BBC soap EastEnders in the coming months, Digital Spy can confirm.

Derek Martin, who has played Slater stalwart Charlie for a decade, will bow out later this year, while Cliff Parisi's role as unlucky-in-love mechanic Minty Peterson will also come to an end after eight years under new producer Bryan Kirkwood.

Relative soap newcomer Liam Bergin's exit storyline is currently being penned as his alter ego Danny Mitchell's scheming ways are expected to reach a climax over the following months.

Speaking of his departure, Bergin said: "I've had a great six months working on EastEnders playing Danny. He has been a great character to play and without giving too much away, he's sure to ruffle a few feathers before he leaves Walford."

He continued: "Working alongside Barbara [Windsor], Sam [Womack], Rita [simons] and Steve [McFadden] has been a real pleasure and I will enjoy watching what the Mitchells get up to as a viewer."

Meanwhile, Owen Turner's mother Liz - played by Kate Williams - will also film her final scenes later this year and is expected to depart in a storyline connected with her son Owen's murderer Lucas.

In addition, 20-year-old Belinda Owusu - Libby Fox in the programme - is due to depart at the end of her current contract. She said: "I've had a great time playing Libby but I agree with Bryan that after four years of great storylines, it is now time for Libby to move on. EastEnders was my first real job and I have learnt so much but I am now really looking forward to trying new roles."

David Proud, who became EastEnders' first ever disabled character in June, will further be written out.

Of his time filming with the serial, Proud said: "I have had a wonderful time at EastEnders and loved every minute of it over the last year. It has been fantastic to play such a complex character like Adam. I have made some great friends amongst the cast and crew and wish the show all the best for future."

At the beginning of the month, Chelsea Fox actress Tiana Benjamin revealed her intention to leave after four years in a bid to pursue other projects. Preeya Kalidas will make her screen exit in a fortnight's time, while Barbara Windsor is due to film her final scenes as matriarch Peggy Mitchell in July.

A show insider told DS: "It's sad to see characters leave the Square but obviously when a new executive producer like Bryan Kirkwood comes on board, they're always keen to refresh the show and make some changes."

They added: "It's the way soaps work - characters run their course and new characters come along."

Since his arrival, Kirkwood successfully managed to lure back Jessie Wallace and Shane Richie as Kat and Alfie Moon, while also casting former Footballers' Wives actress Zoe Lucker as Max Branning's new love interest Vanessa.

- Scource - Digital Spy

^^ I am not too upset about most of them, the only departure I am dissapointed in is Charlie Slater! :(

Its about time Libby has been axed anyway, I can't stand Adam, Minty is just mehh, same goes for Danny, and well same goes to Liz as well.

I seriously don't know why Bryan Kirkwood has axed Charlie Slater though! Maybe they plan to kill him off and that will kickstart Kat's return.... Either way I think its stupid. It doesn't give the rest of whats left of the Slaters much longevity now.

Like Kevin, the only one i'm disappointed about is Charlie Slater going, but if it paves the way for Kat and Alfie coming back then i can deal with it. I do like Minty but since Gary left he just seems to be hanging around in the background and not doing anything.

Adam, Liz, Libby and Danny i don't like so i don't care at all that they're leaving :rolleyes:

^ I'm the same, I'm not bothered about the ones being axed execpt for Charlie..

Lucy Benjamin to make one-off 'Enders return

Former EastEnders actress Lucy Benjamin is to make a dramatic one-off return to the soap later this year as Lisa Fowler, Digital Spy can confirm.

The 38-year-old - who made her last appearance in November 2003 - will reprise her Walford role for a single episode, which is due to be filmed in the coming weeks.

Producers are keeping storyline details a closely guarded secret but her character's comeback will see Lisa swoop into Albert Square in a bid to retrieve her daughter Louise (Brittany Papple).

The youngster turned up outside Walford's tube station under mysterious circumstances, having been dropped off by an unidentified driver. Despite Ronnie (Samantha Womack) handing Louise over to Social Services, Louise has since been placed in the care of her father Phil Mitchell (Steve McFadden). Lisa's whereabouts, however, have yet to be revealed.

Over the coming weeks, one local resident will secretly contact Lisa, revealing Louise's location to the concerned mother.

Speaking of her decision to make a whistlestop return, Benjamin said: "I'm really looking forward to returning to EastEnders for this episode. It will be great to see some familiar faces and work alongside old friends again."

Executive producer Bryan Kirkwood added: "Lucy's character Lisa was responsible for one of the biggest cliffhanger episodes in EastEnders, so it's a real treat to have her back on screen."

An insider teased: "Lisa Fowler was a major part of Phil's life - she knows him as well as anyone, so she won't be happy about him looking after his daughter.

"With their history, you know that this storyline is going to be an explosive episode in the Mitchells' history."

They added: "Everyone at EastEnders is keeping really tight-lipped about what might happen and what will be revealed about Lisa's past - but it's bound be another event that will leave Phil reeling."

In 2001, Benjamin was at the centre of the 'Who Shot Phil?' plot, which quickly became one of British soap's biggest whodunnit mysteries.

Following a two-month wait, an estimated 22 million viewers tuned in to see her Walford counterpart unveiled as Phil's attempted murderer. In addition, the UEFA Cup semi-final was pushed back by 15 minutes in order for the schedules to accommodate the extended 40-minute screening.

At the end of last year, Benjamin became the first person to be voted off the ninth series of ITV1's jungle reality show I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here!.

Syed & Christian are really breaking my heart! :(

Eastenders really should be proud of this storyline, its such a complex situation on so many levels. Syed's situation must be so painful and hard I don't think I would be able to go through with what his parents are forcing him to do.

So excited for the big showdown with Amira and Syed on monday :D

I can't wait for the aftermath because I think it is going to really test the Masood's as a family.

What an amazing episode tonight, i was sitting on the edge of my seat, just WOW :wub: the only thing that i hated was after going through all that, Syed turned round and rejected Christian :(

Yeah it really was fantastic!

Brilliant acting from everyone involved

the only thing that i hated was after going through all that, Syed turned round and rejected Christian :(

No , I was rather happy that Syed told him he didn't want him. What Christian did was completely out of order, and the worst part was he didn't care one bit about Amira all throughout the episode. In fact he rubbed her face in it countless times, I really wish she had hit him a slap. I know Syed isn't blameless at all but I do feel really sorry for him - he just wanted to keep everyone happy , but unfortunately he couldn't have it both ways. I get that Christian was sick of being treated the way he was by Syed but that did not give him the right to go and destroy so many lives on so many levels. I think that is what makes this storyline so unique! It isn't just like any affair storyline where a person is left heartbroken at the end of it all - Syed will be banished from his family, if they don't banish him from their home then they will be banished from the Muslim community, the Masood's business will suffer, Amira is now "damaged goods" as she puts it and will find it extremely difficult for a family to accept her in marriage, that on top of the fact that she will now be a single mother just makes her situation so much worse now.

It will be interesting to see how things go from here on in with Christian and Syed though. I don't think it is the end for them both as a couple, and I am sure the Masood's will face some extremely tough times in the coming months with the Muslim community and the idea of Syed being gay and the affects it has on their religion.

I am gutted that we've lost Amira as well :( I thought she was a fantastic characater, at least the door is left open for her to return at some point down the track with a little Syed! Now that will be a bombshell for the Masood's! Preeya Kalidas is a fantastic actress and I will miss her, even though its not been that long since she arrived.

I hope at this point that Syed meets somebody else thats not as selfish as Christian! But I can't see that happening anytime soon...

EDIT : Oh and another thing , I was soo pleased Amira's exit got Julia's Theme :wub:

Archived