EastEnders

Ashirr-Leigh

EastEnders icon Barbara Windsor is to leave the BBC soap next year, it has been announced.

The 72-year-old, who has played Walford's iconic landlady Peggy Mitchell since 1994, is to leave the show after 15 years in the role.

Details as to her exit storyline have yet to emerge and producers are keeping tight-lipped over the plot.

Speaking of her decision, she said:"EastEnders has been wonderful to me and it's no secret that it changed my life all of those years ago. I'll be so sad to leave Peggy behind; she's such a wonderful character to play. I have had the pleasure of working with a marvellous cast and crew and have made many lasting good friends. To have had the honour of showing the Queen around the set is something that will stay with me forever."

She continued: "I would like to thank the BBC for the incredible opportunity they gave me and above all, I must thank the wonderful viewers for their support over the years. I'm looking forward to the future and I suppose when all's said and done, I should spend a bit more time with my old man as he's not getting any younger."

Executive producer Diederick Santer said of the announcement: "Barbara has contributed so much to EastEnders over the last 15 years, plus countless episodes, and countless amazing storylines. Peggy Mitchell is a truly iconic character, and along with Steve McFadden and Ross Kemp, Barbara has made the Mitchells the premier family of British soap.

"I so much enjoy working with her - catching up with the gossip, listening to her stories, talking about the show, benefiting from her advice, and most importantly revelling in her powerful, funny, passionate performances. All of us at EastEnders - and our audience - are going to miss her hugely."

BBC's controller of drama John Yorke added: "To most of the British public, Barbara IS EastEnders and it's almost impossible to imagine Albert Square without her. For 15 years she's given her heart and soul to EastEnders - she's been a consummate professional, a national treasure and a joy to work alongside. We will all miss her hugely - both as a character, and as a friend."

At Christmas, Windsor's on screen husband Larry Lamb (Archie Mitchell) makes his screen exit from the soap in a dramatic festive plot.

Earlier this year, Windsor was recognised with the Lifetime Achievement trophy at the British Soap Awards.

I am so upset by this news . I love Peggy :(

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole 15 years thing is a bit of an exaggeration, she was absent for at least two of them.Probably the best two years of recent history.If they get rid of Phil as well, I might actually risk watching it again.

Actually Eastenders was at an all time low with very poor writing and very crap storylines during the years when she wasn't around. I believe she returned towards the end of 2005 and 2004/2005 was a pretty bad year , the only best part of 2005 was the Dens murder storyline. That was pretty much the Chrissie/Den/Sharon show during that year.

It was also quite bad in 2006, but Santerhas really turned the sho around and has pulled off some of the most amazing storylines the show has seen and introduced some fantastic characters.

I can't stand Peggy, but who is going to scream "Get outta mah pub!" now?

I agree!!!

Though you've got it all wrong, it's

"Gow On! Sling yah hook!

Though, "Get outta mah pub!" comes a close second. :lol:

I think Grant should come back and adopt a baby with Jane.... :lol:

Also....I think the worst possible thing eastenders has done is bring Danniella Westbrook back! <_<

I prefered the other Sam played by Kim Medcalf. :(

Seriously cannot stand Sam now! And I actually use to like her character, when played by Kim! :rolleyes:

Sam and Jack makes my stomach turn.

Poor Rickeeeey, I really like him and Bianca! I've decided that Bianca is my fave character now.

Also, hate Syed!

haahaa sorry im off on one...

The whole 15 years thing is a bit of an exaggeration, she was absent for at least two of them.Probably the best two years of recent history.If they get rid of Phil as well, I might actually risk watching it again.

Actually Eastenders was at an all time low with very poor writing and very crap storylines during the years when she wasn't around. I believe she returned towards the end of 2005 and 2004/2005 was a pretty bad year , the only best part of 2005 was the Dens murder storyline. That was pretty much the Chrissie/Den/Sharon show during that year.

It was also quite bad in 2006, but Santerhas really turned the sho around and has pulled off some of the most amazing storylines the show has seen and introduced some fantastic characters.

You're right Eastenders was dire back then, although Chrissie was an awesome character. That being said, I don't think the amazing success of Eastenders over the past two years is down to the presence of the Mitchells. I don't feel Peggy or any of her clan are essential to the the show, apart from perhaps Ronnie.

What makes Eastenders so fantastic right now are the likes of the Brannings (except for Jack), the Slaters, the Masoods, the Foxes, the Jacksons, and the Beales, plus other floating characters like Shirley, Heather, Janine and Ryan.

The Mitchells could be removed and the show would still be as great, and to some viewers even better.

Peggy is a ridiculous evil dwarf, whose own sense of pride comes before her own family's welfare (e.g. ordering Phil to kill Archie). Sam is as bad as her mother if not worse, she is the product of Peggy's terrible parenting. Phil is supposedly a hardman, when in fact he is an overweight and over-50 joke who could probably be beaten up by Darren Miller. Roxie is an irritating and childish woman who clearly has no loyalty to her own sister. Billy is and always will be pathetic. Ben is a whining irritant, who is apparently a teenager, but behaves like a 7-year-old. Archie is alright sometimes, but can be a bit of a panto villain. Amy's just a baby so I won't slag her off. Jay isn't technically a Mitchell, and I think he's fantastic, so I won't count him as one. That just leaves Ronnie, who love her or hate her, is one of the most important female characters on Eastenders, so I wouldn't like to see her leave.

I'd trade all of the Mitchells, except for Ronnie, for Grant and Courtney to come back.

It isn't really Heather's weight that makes unattractive. It's the fact that she is completely pathetic and behaves like a spoiled child when she doesn't get her way, and whines on about her "Mummy", and has a teenage girl's obsession with George Michael, even though she is in her 40's. She also makes the worst of her appearance instead of trying to make the best of what she's got. Her clothes are always horrendously unflattering, and her hair is dreadful. I don't think she even bothers with make-up.

I know I'm sounding superficial here, but there are plenty of people Heather's size and bigger who have no problem with forming relationships because they have the looks and the personality. Heather is just tragic. People of all sizes and shapes can make themselves more attractive with the right clothes and attitude, Heather doesn't bother doing either, so it is no wonder men are not attracted to her. Realistically, even Darren wouldn't have slept with Heather.

But if she was a slim woman, they wouldn't make her character the way she is. I'd have no problem with it if she was just a loser (awful word, sorry). But the way they constantly refer to her weight makes it the overlying issue, even though it shouldn't really come into it. They constantly go on about it - even Shirley as her supposed best friend is always ridiculing her about her over-eating. It gives such a bad impression of obese people when in reality most of them lead perfectly normal lives.

I REALLY love the Shirley and Heather friendship. I love that they are middle aged unlucky in love women who have each other and really don't need a man in their live's as a result. I love that Shirley wants to take on the responsibility of providing for baby George and how behind that rough exterior all she wants is to feel needed the way she wasn't by her own kids. It's really fantastic writing and superb that a relationship based purely on friendship can be shown and be so compelling.

I REALLY love the Shirley and Heather friendship. I love that they are middle aged unlucky in love women who have each other and really don't need a man in their live's as a result. I love that Shirley wants to take on the responsibility of providing for baby George and how behind that rough exterior all she wants is to feel needed the way she wasn't by her own kids. It's really fantastic writing and superb that a relationship based purely on friendship can be shown and be so compelling.

Someone who actually shares the same thoughts about these two characters as me :P

I think Shirley's character is fantastic! I think Shirley as well, wants to be a part of Baby George's life because she feels she has to do something good and be there for him to make up for her own kids, because she was never there for them.

I love the family unit that the writers have built up for them, in the sense that Shirley has kind of taken on the role of Baby George's father, by being the sole provider for Hev and her baby.

The only thing that did make me raise my eyebrows is when we discovered Darren was the father of Hev's baby. It just seemed so odd because Darren is a pretty well grounded, smart guy who can only do right by Libby and well he just seems so young in comparrasent to Heather who must be in her late 30's if not early 40's. :blink:

Though I was not suprised, as before the father was revealed they kept showing snips of Darren and Minty and Billy; and out of three it seemed to predictable to be Minty and Billy just seems to have enough Kids already; so a part of me expected it to bee Darren.

I will also mention that in tonights ep, I thought it was a little strange how Lucy is blackmailing if that's what is, Syed. :unsure:

I mean even if she did see him with Christian what reason does she have to taument him? It's not like she is related to Christian, why bother getting kicks out of sending abuse at someone, wouldn't it seem more logical to go to the Masood's and tell them the truth.

Also I feel soo sorry for Tamwar, Its obvious theres a little bit of favouritism towards Syed. I mean Syed lied to save his own butt and almost split his parents up! Not to mention that in the past he took money off them, and now he's cheating on his fiancee and going against his religion. Poor Tamwar is living in his brothers shadow. (Sorry I do go on a bit)

Also, the last bit at the end with Sam and Jack, reaaally annoyed me. Mainly because Rickey is one of my favourite characters in the show alongside Bianca and Shirl.

Hating Archie, Sam, Ronnie, Adam - send him back to Oxford please!, Owen, Owen's mum (forgot her name - pointless addition to the show), & of course Syed. :ph34r:

Archived