I'll be Bec - hunt is on for new soap star

Guest Andy

I'll be Bec - hunt is on for new soap star

The Sydney Morning Herald

14 May 2005

Somewhere in Australia is an unknown actress, aged between 18 and 25 with blonde hair and a cheery disposition, who is about to become very, very famous.

Channel Seven confirmed yesterday that Bec Cartwright - fiance{aac}e to the tennis player Lleyton Hewitt, media darling and now mother-to-be - will leave the top-rating soap Home and Away.

Cartwright was signed until December but will leave next month for "personal reasons". She and Hewitt are to wed and have their first child this year.

But the series, which reached 1.7 million viewers nationally with its recent stalker storyline, will take the bold step of recasting the popular character of Hayley with an unknown actress.

Recasting a popular character is a TV gimmick that has in recent years transformed Rowena Wallace into Belinda Giblin (Sons and Daughters), and Darius Perkins was replaced by Jason Donovan (Neighbours).

And it is not new. In the 1970s viewers saw Deborah Coulls replaced by Sue Smithers (The Restless Years) and Carmen Duncan hand over to Jill Forster (Number 96).

Cartwright said the decision to go was not easy. "At such an important time of my life I need more time and flexibility away from the day to day demands of the production schedule."

In television, the sausage factory stops for no one. Casting for Cartwright's replacement began yesterday.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the hype abpout re casting will be yet more publicity , they wil milk it for all its worth. they'll probably have travelling auditions all over the country and will do a sort of pop idol audition process. OMG I cant bear the thought of it.

From Channel 7, the network that brought you "The Mole", "Popstars" and "My Restaurant Rules" comes the brand new reality show, "Hunt For Hayley". Auditions will go right around the country looking for someone to replace Bec Cartwright on "Home And Away". From these auditions, a shortlist will perform scenes with some of the show's actors, and then eventually a new Hayley will be chosen.

How dare they compare H&A to S&D ! In S&D Patricia had cosmetic surgery in South America and that's why she came back looking different. In H&A characters suddenly look different for no reason (Ailsa, Flynn...)

I think they should hire Lara Cox to replace her

From Channel 7, the network that brought you "The Mole", "Popstars" and "My Restaurant Rules" comes the brand new reality show, "Hunt For Hayley". Auditions will go right around the country looking for someone to replace Bec Cartwright on "Home And Away". From these auditions, a shortlist will perform scenes with some of the show's actors, and then eventually a new Hayley will be chosen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OMG.....hides away in deapir at it all. :glare:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you for real??

Archived