12-for 12+

PG

15-for 15+

and 18

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

G is General and suitible for all ages

PG is Parental Guidance recommended for young viewers

M is Mature Audiences recommended (15+)

Just wondering, did five make any cuts to the episode?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure they didn't. They didn't even cut the bit with Sarah hitting Peter with the gun and they sure as hell didn't cut him having a fit.

ETA: Five usually only cut things drug related, especially if its teenagers taking the drugs. Other than that I have found that Five will put anything on. After all they have been showing Charmed episodes at 5pm and they didn't cut them, even when they were showing the more violent episodes of Season 4.

Spiced-up soap in the doghouse

Herald-Sun

10 May 2005

LONG-RUNNING soap Home and Away has been reprimanded by the national TV watchdog for failing to warn viewers about its spiced-up storylines.

The Australian Broadcasting Authority found Channel 7 erred when it screened an episode on August 14 last year with a G rating, when parents should have been warned of its content by a PG rating.

Summer Bay hell-raiser Sarah held several other characters at gunpoint in the episode -- threatening to shoot them dead unless one of them confessed to the murder of her boyfriend.

The parent of a six-year-old girl who viewed the program made the initial complaint to the ABA. The girl's mother said her daughter was terrified after viewing the episode and was still afraid weeks later.

ABA spokesman Donald Robertson said the level of violence in the program warranted a PG rating, given the show was screened at 7pm when children were watching.

So in other words, the episode did its job. What were they expecting the outcome of the storyline to be?

One of the characters calming Sarah down and then they all sit down for a coffee and a good therapy session? It was plain obvious that the storyline wasn't going to end pretty so the parents who made the complaint should have guessed that a gun would have been involved and it would be on the verge of PG!

This annoys me so much :angry:

Question -Why was a six year old watching Home and Away in the first place?

While I accept that a G rating indicates that it should be acceptable for a general audience (which includes young children), the nature of this episode (and storyline) was immediately obvious and one has to wonder whether either parent were watching or were they just using the TV as babysitting.

Even if they had older children who watch surely they would know that H & A is not aimed at very young children and therefore ensure they either watch it with the child or that the child in question was occupied with other things (like getting ready for bed!)

In Perth, they show a thirty-second film at 7.30 every night, in which 'Fat Cat' goes to bed and the caption 'Goodnight Girls and Boys' is shown. I believe GWN do something similar. The implication is that the show immediately before that sequence is suitable for children.

In Perth, they show a thirty-second film at 7.30 every night, in which 'Fat Cat' goes to bed and the caption 'Goodnight Girls and Boys' is shown.  I believe GWN do something similar.  The implication is that the show immediately before that sequence is suitable for children.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That interesting - didn't know that. I suppose if that is the case, they could have just turned on for the last couples of minutes hence they wouldn't necessarily know what was happening - hence the complaint.

James Martin Posted May 10 2005, 12:52 AM

Five didn't cut it. Largely because the word "moron" wasn't used.

Lol thanks James. I was thinking the same thing.

Maybe Home and Away will get boring now they have been 'reprimanded' with calmer storylines and natural dissters. I thaught it was one of the best episodes to date before the stalker events. How come we only find out about the case nearly a YEAR after it was aired in Australia. All in all, A great piece of work and an ingenious storyline has been ruined. C7 must have know about it a while ago though - maybe thats why they made it a PG.

I hope no one complains about it to five or we will be looking at a second ITV in my opinion. And I sooooo hope they dont cut any of the stalker material.

Archived