Torn

Guest Claire

Er... no comment on the ending? But the ending was written for a reason...

One of my fave fanfics of yours (in fact, one of my fave fanfics of all time) was When Love and Hate Collide and, if I remember rightly, that was the first fic you wrote for fanfic.net so I think your writing has always been good.    :D (Have to say, I hated that title tho!!!  :rolleyes: )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:P Me and titles have a hate-hate relationship... this is probably the only fic nwith a title that sounds right to me... :rolleyes:

Short chapter this one.

He couldn’t have been out of it for less than a minute, but already the paramedics were swarming to the assistance of the three or more vehicles tied up in the collision.

“Are you ok?â€

He looked blankly at the nurse who clutched hold of his arm concernedly

“We’d better get you sat down insideâ€

He shrugged her off and walked cautiously towards the wreckage, praying that it wasn’t her car… it was just the same make… she was on her way back home at that moment in time, oblivious to his concern.

“Kirst… it’s ok, I’m here Babe…â€

Her eyes flicked ever so slightly at the sound of his voice

“Kirst, it’s me…you’re going to be fine… just a few cuts and bruises... you’ll seeâ€

He glanced up at the men who were vainly attempting to free Kirsty from the wreckage, other men rushing too and fro from the other cars, police having now descended to close the road to traffic.

“I love youâ€

He squeezed her hand, silently begging her to stay with him, not to leave him. He wasn’t sure how he’d cope if she did.

“I love you tooâ€

Her voice was little more than a hoarse whisper, and he wondered if she really knew what was going on around her, or if she was caught up in some sort of dream world. Maybe she didn’t even know who she was speaking to, or even where she was.

In her head she curled up next to him in the bed, sinking finally into a peaceful, deep and everlasting sleep. Her muscles relaxed as her problems finally evaporated and she became free.

“Kirsty!â€

There was no sign of movement from her eyes as he tried to wake her, her lips were pursed shut and her muscles had relaxed.

“Kirst!â€

“Sir, if you could step awayâ€

A paramedic guided him to one side as another rushed to Kirsty’s side again. He could only watch on, helplessly, biting back the tears as his world came crashing down around him.

“Don’t give up Kirst… you can’t give up…â€

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:unsure:

Final chapter...

He crept into the back of the church, sidling into one of the pews at the back, amongst people that he had never seen before in his life. The few he recognised occupied the front of the church, and he just hoped that none of the Sutherland’s would turn and see him, and disturb such a beautiful and peaceful service. Kirsty deserved that much, at least, after the way she had left.

He had made himself scarce after the paramedics had decided that there was no more they could do… he didn’t think it worth putting that family through more pain by just being there. He couldn’t have dealt with it either; the blame, the arguments, when all he had wanted to do was to cuddle up into a ball and go with her. It had only been days and already he had started to question what he would do with his life, where he could go without her. He had got in touch with Flynn, desperately seeking some sort of support, anything to take the pain away, but nothing had worked, and he doubted that anything ever could.

Later, he kept his distance as the coffin was lowered into the ground, bidding her a silent farewell. His heart yearned for her, for all the good times that they had experienced together. Times that he would never get back, and he couldn’t help but blame himself. For the frame of mind she had been in when she got into that car; for not stopping her; for getting in touch with her in the first place. Perhaps it was his own selfish and intense love for her that had resulted in his broken heart, that had deprived a good man of a wife and two kids of their mother.

He took a last look at the united family beside the graveside as he stood, alone, off to one side. Sean with his own mother’s arm around him and Kirsty’s children at their feet, each of them tiny replicas of their mother, parts of her that hadn’t been killed. He looked at the drained faces of the Sutherland’s, who had said goodbye to two family members in as many days. He finally understood what harm he could do if the affair was ever to come out… he finally understood how Kirsty had been so torn between two lives, and how her torment had finally resulted in her death. He turned to walk back towards his car, knowing that the least he could do was stay away from that family and to let them grieve in peace.

It had been two weeks. Two weeks of nothingness, two weeks of unbearable pain and grieving. Flynn had kept assuring him that it would get better, that he’d find something to live for when he was least expecting it. Just like he had done when he had first met Kirsty. But it was like a light had gone out, the fight that had kept him going all through his childhood had disappeared, and the effort was no longer worth it. Why keep on living if living just put him through that unbearable torture?

He emptied the pills out onto the table, setting the bottle of vodka next to them. Perhaps it was a coward’s way out, but he didn’t care. He could no longer find reason to care.

Later, he stumbled across the churchyard until he saw the headstone, so beautifully surrounded with fresh flowers. He fell to his knees as he reached her graveside, running his fingers softly over the engraving. His vision was growing hazy and he couldn’t help but wonder how long he had left, how long until he plunged into that everlasting darkness. He’d lost count of the number of pills that he had taken, but he knew it was enough. Enough to reunite he and Kirsty for the rest of eternity. Soon they wouldn’t have to worry about a thing. The guilt, the torment, the grief would be a thing of the past.

“I love you Kirstâ€

He lay himself down gently, his head flooding with memories of the good times, the few good times of his life, his time with Kirsty. Nobody would be able to take them away.

comments

***THE END***

Archived