Threads of Support

zara grace

Story Title: Threads of Support
Type of story: One Shot 
Main Characters: Mackenzie Booth, Dean Thompson, Ziggy Astoni, Bree Cameron & Levi Fowler
BTTB rating: T
Genre:  General
Does story include spoilers: Yes 
Any warnings: None.
Summary:  Dean comes to visit Mackenzie after her surgery along with Ziggy, Mackenzie opens up to Dean and Dean meets Doctor Levi Fowler.

Mackenzie had refrained from reaching out to her brother until now, reluctant to burden him with her concerns. However, the weight of her situation had become too much to bear alone, compelling her to share what was happening and seek comfort in her brother's support. It was time for him to know.

At that crucial moment, Bree entered Mackenzie's room, prompting Mackenzie to exhale a sigh of relief.

"Bree, could you do me a favor?" Mackenzie asked, her hope evident in her voice.

"What do you need?" Bree inched closer, concerned for her friend.

"Call Dean and ask him to come over. Until he arrives, I only want you in here. I also need you to fill him in on what's happening with me." Mackenzie recognized her own inability to handle it alone and trusted that Dean, being familiar with Bree, would find reassurance in her explanation.

"Absolutely, I'll take care of it now." Bree smiled, and Mackenzie's relief was mirrored in her own smile as Bree exited the room.

Following the call, Bree reappeared, poking her head back into the room. "I reached Dean; he booked a flight from Queensland. He'll be here in a few hours."

Mackenzie expressed her gratitude with a smile. "Thanks, Bree." Bree simply nodded. "Do you want some company until he gets here?" Mackenzie immediately shook her head, signaling her need for a moment alone to gather herself before her brother's arrival.

A few hours later, Bree noticed the hospital lift opening, revealing Dean heading in her direction with Ziggy closely following—an unexpected surprise as Dean hadn't mentioned that they would both be coming down.

Dean hurried until he reached Bree. "How is she?" Bree took a deep breath. "She had surgery a few days ago, and physically, she's recovering fine. But I'm concerned about her mental state. She hasn't been herself."

"Why? What's going on?" Dean's worry escalated. "She's scared, Dean. She needs you," Bree emphasized, underscoring the urgency of Dean's presence.

"Which room?" Dean knew he needed to get there quickly.

"Room Three." Dean nodded, and Ziggy spoke up, "I'll give you some time with Mac." Dean simply acknowledged before sprinting in the direction of Mackenzie's room.

Upon entering his sister's room, Dean swung the door open and found Mackenzie in the bed, visibly frightened. Without hesitation, Dean rushed to her side, enveloping her in a reassuring embrace that she eagerly reciprocated, clinging tightly.

"It's alright, Mac. I'm here now, and I'm not going anywhere," Dean reassured Mackenzie, determined to convey his steadfast support.

"I'm so scared, Dean, and I don't know what this means for me. I need some fresh air away from this hospital," Mackenzie expressed, her distress evident. Sensing that confinement to the hospital room wouldn't be beneficial, Dean, still holding Mackenzie, sent a text to his girlfriend, hoping she could convey the request to Bree.

"I know you are, Mac, but I promise you, we will get through this," Dean assured her, offering comfort in their shared embrace. Mackenzie simply nodded, finding solace in her brother's reassuring presence.

Meanwhile, Ziggy and Bree stood in the hallway, exchanging a conversation.

"I was surprised you came," Bree admitted, a pleasant surprise, especially considering that baby Izzy wasn't with them.

"Once Dean told me what was going on, I knew he would struggle as much as Mac, and Amber offered to look after Izzy, so I came along," Ziggy explained, providing context for her unexpected presence.

"I'm sure Mac will be happy to see you. She's going to need you and Dean more than ever," Bree remarked. Ziggy nodded, and just as her phone buzzed, she retrieved it from her pocket to read the text.

"Bree, Dean asked a favor." Bree, intrigued, nodded for Ziggy to continue.

"What is it?" Bree was surprised by how quickly Dean was requesting something.

"Mac wants some fresh air, so Dean was hoping we could take her for a walk around the hospital grounds, maybe have some lunch," Ziggy conveyed, her hope evident in her expression.

"Sure, as long as Mac's in a wheelchair, and it's only for half an hour, it should be okay." Bree smiled at Ziggy as she promptly went to fetch a wheelchair.

Ziggy and Bree entered the room, and upon seeing his girlfriend, Dean released his hold on Mackenzie, anticipating that Ziggy would want to embrace her as well. Indeed, Ziggy immediately enveloped Mackenzie in a comforting hug, reciprocated warmly.

"Mac, how do you feel about getting out of here for a bit?" Dean inquired, his concern evident.

"Really?" Mackenzie's eyes brightened as she turned to Bree, who wore a reassuring smile.

"As long as it's only half an hour, you're in the wheelchair, and Dean or Ziggy is with you at all times," Bree set the ground rules firmly.

"I can follow those rules." Mackenzie affirmed, and with Dean's assistance, she transitioned from the bed to the wheelchair. The trio then made their way out of the room, ready for a brief change of scenery.

Once outside, Mackenzie took a deep breath, savoring the fresh air. "This feels so good."

"I can imagine, Mac." Ziggy smiled, accompanying Dean as he pushed Mackenzie until they reached a charming spot in the courtyard ten minutes later.

"Dean, why don't you go and get us some lunch while we have a girl talk?" Ziggy suggested, raising an eyebrow playfully. Dean, though reluctant to part from his sister, acquiesced.

"Will he just?" Dean inquired, wanting to spend every possible moment with Mackenzie.

"Yes, now go." Ziggy nodded, and Mackenzie smiled at her brother as he walked away. "Fine, but I'll be back soon," Dean promised, earning a nod of acknowledgment from Ziggy.

Once Ziggy was certain that Dean was out of earshot, she turned to Mackenzie with a question. "Can I ask you something?" Mackenzie nodded, bracing herself for the inquiry. Ziggy continued, "Why didn't you call us when you were first admitted?" Mackenzie had expected this question from her brother, not Ziggy.

"They didn't know what was wrong with me, and I didn't want Dean to worry—not until I knew myself what was going on," Mackenzie explained. Ziggy nodded, expressing complete understanding. Just then, the two noticed Dean heading in their direction.

"Is that Pesto Chicken I smell?" Mackenzie had been craving it since her hospitalization, and if that's what it was, her brother had seemingly read her mind.

"Pesto Chicken Pasta for all of us," Dean confirmed as he approached, handing one to Ziggy and Mackenzie before settling down next to his sister.

"I missed you both so much," Mackenzie admitted, even though she had seen them a few months earlier. It just wasn't the same as having them around every single day.

"We missed you too, sis." With that, the three began to enjoy their lunches.

Meanwhile, back on the ward, Levi walked into Mackenzie's room only to find it empty, a surprise considering he had emphasized strict bed rest for her recovery. After checking the bathroom and reviewing Mackenzie's charts in case Bree had ordered additional tests, he ventured into the hallway, hoping to find Bree for some answers.

"Bree." It didn't take long for Bree to turn around and approach the concerned doctor.

"Doctor Fowler, is everything okay?" She noticed the worry etched on Levi's face.

"That depends on where my patient is," Levi expressed his concern. Bree glanced at her watch, reassuring him, "Your patient will be back in ten minutes."

"She should be taking things easy, Bree," Levi emphasized, wary of any potential setbacks in Mackenzie's recovery.

"She is, I promise. But right now, she's where she needs to be, and she'll be back very soon," Bree clarified. "She also made it clear that I'm the only doctor allowed in her room today." Levi looked surprised.

"Why?" Levi needed to check her over, as he had for the past three days.

"It's her call, but I promise to check on her once she gets back." At that moment, the lift doors opened, and Bree noticed Ziggy approaching.

"Bree." Ziggy hesitated as she noticed the other doctor. "Sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt." Bree shook her head, assuring her it was okay. "What's up?"

"I just thought we could catch up. I figured I'd give Dean and Mac a few more minutes alone," Ziggy explained. Bree smiled. "How is Dean coping with all this?" She had been curious.

"He's okay, worried about Mac but okay." Levi looked from Ziggy to Bree before asking, "Who are you, and how do you know my patient?" Ziggy glanced at Bree.

"Ziggy, this is Dr. Levi Fowler, Mac's doctor. Dr. Fowler, this is Ziggy Astoni, a friend of Mac's." The two shook hands before Levi inquired, "So, tell me, can I trust this Dean guy to look after my patient?" Ziggy nodded, "Of course, you can. He's her brother, after all." Levi simply nodded, realizing he had no idea that Mac even had a brother, as only friends had been visiting her in the past few days.

Exactly seven minutes later, Dean wheeled Mack back into the room, only to find Ziggy already there with a guy he didn't recognize. However, from the look on his sister's face, it was evident that she did.

"Doctor Fowler, hi," Mackenzie greeted, surprised to see him in the room given the strict instructions she had given Bree.

"Hi. How are you feeling after your little adventure?" Levi inquired as Mackenzie relaxed in her wheelchair with Dean sitting beside her.

"Heaps better," Mackenzie admitted.

"I was hoping to check you over," Dean crossed his arms, expressing his preference for Bree to handle the examination.

"Dean, it's okay. We can trust him. He's been looking after me the past few days and did my surgery," Mackenzie reassured her brother, acknowledging the skepticism in his eyes.

Dean simply nodded as Mackenzie introduced the pair, and after Levi checked Mackenzie over, he left the trio to their conversation, grateful that for the first time since Mackenzie was admitted she was relaxed and happy.

Comments

Edited by QUIET ACHIEVER