Why do the producers ignore Shandi Palmer?

Skylover

John is at a loose end and has a daughter out there. Bring her back recast. I don't see why so many long running characters have relatives out there who aren't used as viable characters. While we're on the topic, bring back Jodi Gordon as Martha too.

I don't watch the show anymore because it's crap now, but I probably would if Shandi or Martha were brought back.

Edited by Skylover
  • Like 2

Why Home and Away chose to bring back Martha Snr over Martha Jnr I will never know, but then I suppose this is now the show that likes to trash established backstory and rewrite it.

It doesn’t even have to be Jodi Gordon, although it’d be good if we did get that continuity.

• Like 1

I think there's a danger in seeing families of characters or indeed anyone from pre-2011 as some sort of magic fix. Potentially, bringing in characters like that can provide existing characters with links to other characters and storylines. But there need to be a more complex plan than just "Bring back Shandi/Martha/Paul Roberts/Matt Wilson", otherwise you just end up with a different face for John to chat to in the surf club or Irene to dole out advice to in the Diner.

53 minutes ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

But there need to be a more complex plan than just "Bring back Shandi/Martha/Paul Roberts/Matt Wilson"

There definitely needs to be a more complex plan than "bring back Matt Wilson" .He managed to clock up four years on the show with pretty much zero storylines to speak of, so would probably fit in very well with the current ethos of having all the classic characters standing around doing precious little.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

But there need to be a more complex plan than just "Bring back Shandi/Martha/Paul Roberts/Matt Wilson", otherwise you just end up with a different face for John to chat to in the surf club or Irene to dole out advice to in the Diner.

And the characters there at the moment all have a purpose do they? :D You could literally axe them all except the veterans and it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to the show. They're all crap.

Having Shandi or Martha back would instantly add something to the canvas and they'd be instantly better than all the characters there even before you figure out what their purpose would be.

The only one I like other than the longstanding cast is Theo (and he's the only one related to anyone!)

Edited by Skylover

27 minutes ago, Skylover said:

Having Shandi or Martha back would instantly add something to the canvas and they'd be instantly better than all the characters there even before you figure out what their purpose would be.

Why?

1 hour ago, atrus said:

There definitely needs to be a more complex plan than "bring back Matt Wilson" .He managed to clock up four years on the show with pretty much zero storylines to speak of, so would probably fit in very well with the current ethos of having all the classic characters standing around doing precious little.

Exactly. Just because you cast a random 20- or 30-something actor and call their character Shandi Palmer or Irene's Grandson doesn't guarantee they'll do anything other than stand around the Diner being a bit pointless.

1 hour ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Why?

Because they'd actually have a non-romantic relationship with someone else in the cast. Rather than

hot sibling/hot sibling
hot sibling/hot sibling 
hot sibling/hot sibling

I kind of hope the show gets axed so it's put out of its misery. Or Lucy Addario is sacked. It's just upsetting to see how crap it is.

Also - I find it odd that anyone would ask why bringing back Shandi would be good for the show. The older characters aren't well-defined characters. John has a daughter out there who he doesn't speak to. It's just not realistic.

Edited by Skylover
  • Like 1