Unexpected

LD43

Story Title: **Unexpected**
Type of story: One Shot 
Main Characters: Tane, Ziggy. Mention of Ari and Mia.
BTTB rating: G
Genre: General
Does story include spoilers: No
Any warnings: 
Summary: Tane has been covering at the gym for Mia while she see the doctor about her pregnancy and Ziggy wants to know why she's barely seen her boyfriend.

Ziggy sat on the couch, flicking through a surfing magazine and waiting for Tane to come home. Ziggy hadn't seen Tane for more than a few hours in the last few days, he had been covering for Mia at the gym. Ziggy didn't understand though, she had eaten dinner with Mia and Ari the night before and had seen them again this morning at the beach. Mia wasn't ill and she and Ari had just had a weekend away, so why wasn't she working?

The front door swings open and Tane walks in.

"Hey" Tane says as he approaches Ziggy, kissing her on the head.

"You finally done?" Ziggy asks.

"Yep, just TAFE work left to do" Tane responds, pouring himself a glass of water.

"Mia couldn't have found someone else to cover? Why is it always you?" Ziggy asks, annoyed.

"She's family, it's what we do." Tane replies. "And she covers for me too"

Ziggy nods slowly, she knows how much family means to the Paratas.

"I do need to talk to you about Mia though." Tane says.

Ziggy sits down at the table as Tane leans against the kitchen counter.

"Ok" Ziggy says.

"She's pregnant." Tane says, watching closely for Ziggy's reaction.

Ziggy looks confused, Tane had told her about Ari and Mia's history.

"You can't tell anyone, not yet. Mia reckoned you should know why you haven't seen me." Tane continues.

"I won't say a thing" Ziggy promises. "This is why you've been covering for her?"

Tane nods.

"They had a doctors appointment, then got called back the next day." Tane says.

"Everything ok?" Ziggy asks.

"Yeah, Ari said the baby is strong." Tane replies.

"And their history?..." Ziggy asks carefully.

"There's always a risk and it increases with every loss, but we're all staying positive." Tane says.

He was worried for his brother, and for Mia. He didn't know what another loss would do to them. Mia had told him that they were stronger this time, but Tane was still worried. He knew that all he could do was be there for them if something went wrong.

"I never thought they would have another baby, not after what you told me about their son." Ziggy says, bringing Tane back to reality.

"Neither did I. Losing Kauri broke them." Tane says.

"I'm sure everything will work out" Ziggy replies, trying to ease her boyfriend's worries.

Tane nods, it has to work out. After everything they had been through, Ari and Mia deserved some happiness.

"How old would Kauri be?" Ziggy asks, she had wondered when Tane first told her about him but it wasn't the time.

"Eleven" Tane responds quietly, not meeting her eyes.

Ziggy reaches over and puts a hand on Tane's knee, she can see how much it pains him to talk of Kauri. She can tell that Tane was worried for his brother and Mia, but she was worried for him. Tane would go out of his way to support his family, and although she admired it, she was worried that he would take on too much.

Comments

Archived