My5 & 7+ 35th Anniversary Classic Episodes Discussion

James Martin

Kelly's departure, jeez.

It's bad enough Lachie replaced her at NDH but to move in and buddy up with her ex...

Guess even then then they liked salting the wounds.

I already have the Blake and Meg eps (975/6) on the Memorable moments video. Almost a lifetime ago when I bought it.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it's been on a lot but oh my God, that episode is still not an easy watch.  Admit it.  You cried.  Again.

Meg's last sunrise is the one episode everyone seems to remember where they were when it first went out and it was well-publicised when it aired here.  I remember that's the one everyone talked about on the 2012 repeats, I remember one person posted a story on socials at the time about a group of people being away at a conference and they all rushed back to someone's hotel room to watch the episode together.  That's brave! ?

It's horrible because you know what's coming but it's so well written.  It makes me think the moden show is almost too slick, too well produced.  Streaming dramas have the same issue, it looks good but the script doesn't really fly off the page.  Back then the writing was top-drawer.  It dealt with loss in a very human way.

Looking at socials, Meg and Blake is the one that's generated the most discussion.  Sad to hear that Cathy died in real life not too long ago.

I must admit, I wasn't watching the show when Blake and Meg was first on, so I didn't see that episode until the 2012 repeats. I have since seen it in context, which you possibly need to have done to get the full impact. It's not the sort of thing I cry about, but I did feel a gutpunch moment at Meg's last "It's so beautiful..."

On 26/11/2022 at 00:20, Red Ranger 1 said:

I haven't seen any official list, but going by the descriptions in Inside Soap, next week's episodes would appear to be:

1993:Episode 1298(Bobby's boat accident)
1994:Episode 1604(Ross kids decide where to spend Christmas)
1995:Episode 1662(Shane and Angel's wedding)
1996:Episode 2036(Donald and Marilyn's wedding)
1997:Episode 2140(Kelly's departure)

Apologies in advance for any inaccuracies.

So that's at least one episode that hasn't been shown by either Channel 5 or 7Two!

I can only imagine that Emily suggested 2140 for the Marilyn skydiving story as Kelly’s departure seems an odd one.

Just caught up on the 1993 episode: I notice today's episode is up there already but I'll probably watch that tomorrow. They chose the right episode there: Bobby's got a few more weeks comatose in hospital before they turn off her life support, but that's the big event episode where we see her awake for the last time and see the accident. It was good to get a bit of Shane and Angel other than the wedding as well, which gives a bit of context.

The intros remind me a bit of the old ITV special intros we used to get. I’ve noticed whoever is doing the intro seems to have a link to the episode so far so I did have to laugh at avid boatman, Shane Withington introducing Bobby’s boat accident.

It would be nice to have whole story specials like the old ITV specials rather than these one off episodes where you’re left trying to remember what was happening 30 something years ago or getting intrigued by a story that’s yet to develop but you won’t get to see. Still, it’s nice to watch them again.

I only recently watched a clip of Alf’s Christmas tree fire online, so I was surprised to see that appear. I’m still disappointed that we didn’t get a “Flamin’ tree” from him.

I wonder what next week will be.

I’d quite like to see Pippa’s departure again for 1998, but I wonder if it’ll be Don & Alf walking on hot coals.

1999, purely because I have a vivid memory of Natalie pressing last number redial, getting through to Summer Bay House and being rescued from Robert and quipping she could’ve been calling Vinnie’s stripping agency for all she knew, I’d like to see that.

2000, I’d hope we’ll see Leah’s arrival.

19 minutes ago, c120701 said:

I wonder what next week will be.

I’d quite like to see Pippa’s departure again for 1998, but I wonder if it’ll be Don & Alf walking on hot coals.

1999, purely because I have a vivid memory of Natalie pressing last number redial, getting through to Summer Bay House and being rescued from Robert and quipping she could’ve been calling Vinnie’s stripping agency for all she knew, I’d like to see that.

2000, I’d hope we’ll see Leah’s arrival.

Pippa exit was pretty dreadful to be honest it’s always feel like huge let down when I  watch it. 

25 minutes ago, c120701 said:

Nothing so imaginative unfortunately - 1998 is the same one they've trotted out before, Sally getting shot in the diner. 1999 is Duncan's homemade bomb was going off (which I'm sure is another they've repeated in the past), and 2000 is Ailsa dropping dead.

• James Martin changed the title to My5 & 7+ 35th Anniversary Classic Episdoes Discussion

I wonder if My5 will service the 2004+ episodes in HD, with production going to at least 720p around 2003.  I assume 2004 will be the Olympic Siege, although there's some decent material throughout that season, particularly the Bevan Lee era. 

Certainly they will be on 7+ as they'll have the original tapes, question is will My5 will use their own edited tapes (to cover ad breaks etc.) after we get out the ITV era.

Duncan's bomb storyline was completely hacked out by ITV at the time so I can live with that getting shown, but nobody's going to remember it going out as as far as the Poms are concerned, it didn't happen!

Archived