The Newsroom (ABC, BBC, RTÉ, starring Steve Peacoke)

James Martin

Not sure if anyone's been following this six part drama made by ABC in Australia - I've kind of stumbled on it by accident.

It's basically set in a newsroom in 1986.  One of the main supporting roles is a sports reporter, played by H&A's Brax, Steve Peacoke - so if you want to see an 80's River Boy in a suit, tune in!

Well worth a binge watch - it's available via the streaming apps of ABC, the BBC & RTÉ in Australia, the UK & Ireland respectively.

I'm only two episodes in, so I don't know if any other names pop up, although we do get a cameo from Anne Charleston (Madge Bishop, Neighbours) in Episode 2.  But I know the Australian drama industry is a small world!

On 01/11/2022 at 01:46, James Martin said:

I'm only two episodes in, so I don't know if any other names pop up, although we do get a cameo from Anne Charleston (Madge Bishop, Neighbours) in Episode 2.  But I know the Australian drama industry is a small world!

Dennis Coard pops up in about episode 3 and Stephanie Panozzo (Eden) is in episode 4.

For any early years Home and Away fans, Geoff is played by Robert Taylor who played Nicholas Walsh (an associate of the Macklin Corporation, the first of Stacey's fiancés and a thorn in Philip Matheson's side, and worked with Morag to try to get the Fletchers to move to England and cause trouble for Bobby) in early 1989.

I've heard that Philippa Northeast (Evie) is going to be in season 2.

Just finished it - and yes, Dennis does indeed make a cameo.  I know from interviews Debra has given that his first love has always been the stage, but it's good to see him back on telly.

Didn't know Robert Taylor was in H&A.

If that doesn't win a Logie there's no justice.  Apart from anything there was incredible attention to detail.  I know they used vintage lenses to shoot it, but it genuinely looked like an HD transfer of a film from the 80's; if you watch something like Back To The Future or Dirty Dancing on a modern streaming service, it's obviously HD but it still has that slightly dated aural aesthetic from transferring the original prints from film.  They pulled that effect off to an absolute T - fair dinkum.

Archived