Gay characters on the show?

GayGuy1986

Hi, I am new on here, I watch Neighbours and Home and Away, but such a shame Neighbours has ended. Please delete this topic if it's not suitable, but I just want to ask, why do Home and Away never have any gay characters? I know Willow was a lesbian and she had a fling with Alex (the Dr) , and Charlie was a lesbian as well, but what annoys me is that, never any gay male characters. As I am a gay male, I find this lack of LGBTQ culture really shocking, I find it hard to believe a gay person has never lived in Summer Bay. 

Neighbours has done excellent with diversity and showing support in the gay community, Neighbours has had a gay wedding with (Aaron and David) - a gay pride etc, what has Home and Away done? It just show lack of support, it's 2022, so why they still living in the dark ages still? is it the network 7 that is homophobic? or is it the producers? if Neighbours can have gay characters, what's Home and Away's excuse? this what makes Neighbours ending so sad. 

Before anyone says, No, I don't watch shows just for gay characters, I just prefer Home and Away would least show support to LGBTQ culture, that's all. 

Like I said, please delete if this topic is not appropriate, I just wanted to know as I am baffled to why Home and Away's lack of gay characters.

If your gay you don’t last very long in this program sadly they write them very oddly they could have some interesting stories probably if they didn’t have those they had go and forget haha 

Charlie was a very odd case but I found her very annoying at the best of times so when she was lesbian I just rolled my eyes

5 hours ago, pembie said:

If your gay you don’t last very long in this program sadly they write them very oddly they could have some interesting stories probably if they didn’t have those they had go and forget haha 

Charlie was a very odd case but I found her very annoying at the best of times so when she was lesbian I just rolled my eyes

Hi Pembie, yeah, I notice gay characters don't last long on Home and Away, which is a shame. 

As mentioned, there's been a handful of gay male guest stars over the years but no-one full-time.

I guess Oz-based fans would have a better idea of what Channel 7's policy is. I'm not sure if they're against gay characters on all of their shows or if they just see Home and Away as existing in some sort of bubble populated mostly by attractive young straight people.

There was Ty who Ryder was friendly with but he didn't stay long, before that I had a feeling it was a relative of Donald Fisher who may have been gay as it was never stated outright. It is strange it seems to be only females who are gay/bi.  

4 hours ago, GayGuy1986 said:

Hi Pembie, yeah, I notice gay characters don't last long on Home and Away, which is a shame. 

Why all  this ha ha????????

6 hours ago, H&Alover said:

There was Ty who Ryder was friendly with but he didn't stay long, before that I had a feeling it was a relative of Donald Fisher who may have been gay as it was never stated outright. It is strange it seems to be only females who are gay/bi.  

Nearly there with the relative of Donald Fisher part.  Don's grandson Seb was the subject of Chris Fletcher's (Pippa and Tom's son) attention back in 2003.  Chris tried to kiss him, at which point Seb pulled away and explained that he wasn't gay.  Chris then ran away and Irene was annoyed at Nick because Nick had been suspicious of him and jealous of Chris' friendship with Seb.  Their friend Mikey then found Chris hiding under the pier or something, and he brought Seb, Nick and Kirsty to find him.  Chris talked things over with Sally and then left soon afterwards.

Also, Seb was living with Alf at the time and discussed the matter with him (Alf guessed who he was talking about rather than Seb explicitly outing Chris).  I think Alf might have also spoken to Chris and talked to him about Tom, although Michael was the father figure in Chris' life for longer.

With the Ty part - while it is unfortunate that Ty was such a brief character and left soon after coming out, it did show that some foster care placements (he was placed with John and Marilyn) can sometimes be only temporary as they go back to their own family, which seemed to work out for Ty.

Thanks for that homeandaway.   Seb, of course, was also left in  a wheelchair because of a car accident Duncan caused while high and H&A don't seem to keep disabled people around for long either. 

Ty had been estranged from his mum for a long while as his grandparents had kept her away, she, of course had her own problems. 

Though that doesn't answer GayGuy's question does it? 

• 2 months later...

I made a decision, I have decided I am calling it a day with Home and Away, I was enjoying it until this 4 people band came into it, I just can't be bothered with this trash storyline. It's so boring. I deleted all episodes on my Sky Q recordings as I am a bit behind (I am from the UK), and I have removed it from my planned recordings. It was getting good as well, until this band showed up in Summer Bay.

Also, what really annoys me is that Home and Away never has any gay characters. Yes, they had gay characters in the past, but the characters didn't stay long. H&A is a homophobic backward soap. If Neighbours can have gay characters, what is H&A's excuse? Channel 5 axed the wrong soap. Neighbours should have stayed, at least that is not a homophobic soap and it was a well good soap, it's a shame it has ended. And now, we are stuck with this backward soap that doesn't have any diversty. I find it strange that a gay person has never lived in Summer Bay, it's always straight people. 

2 hours ago, GayGuy1986 said:

I made a decision, I have decided I am calling it a day with Home and Away, I was enjoying it until this 4 people band came into it, I just can't be bothered with this trash storyline. It's so boring. I deleted all episodes on my Sky Q recordings as I am a bit behind (I am from the UK), and I have removed it from my planned recordings. It was getting good as well, until this band showed up in Summer Bay.

Also, what really annoys me is that Home and Away never has any gay characters. Yes, they had gay characters in the past, but the characters didn't stay long. H&A is a homophobic backward soap. If Neighbours can have gay characters, what is H&A's excuse? Channel 5 axed the wrong soap. Neighbours should have stayed, at least that is not a homophobic soap and it was a well good soap, it's a shame it has ended. And now, we are stuck with this backward soap that doesn't have any diversty. I find it strange that a gay person has never lived in Summer Bay, it's always straight people. 

The Heather story is keeping me hanging on yeah but rest of it is pretty boring 

Archived