Characters that didn't reach their full potential

project90

21 hours ago, MattieBelle said:

Edward Dunglass! I can’t believe he didn’t even make it to a year on the show considering how interesting of a character he was. There was a lot of potential with both him & Peta if you ask me. 

Yeah, from what I've seen of his time, it really feels like most of the time he has the dark cloud of the possibility of having Huntington's Disease, then once he knows for sure, it three weeks of preparing for Edward and Peta to leave.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 20/09/2022 at 02:02, cymbaline said:

Simon Fitzgerald. The actor who played him had been on Neighbours so they probably thought they'd signed up a new hunk. Apart from a storyline where he pretended to be the father of Sophie's baby for about 5 minutes, I don't remember him doing anything of note. They soon moved him once Shane, Damien, Tug et al came on the scene. 

Sad thing he was a spare part on Neighbours, too. Ryan was a friend for Sharon to hang around with after Nick had left and Matt had dropped out and was sort of 2nd fiddle to Aunt Dorothy and Sister Lochy and was kind of a  fifth wheel of the Todd and Friends, clique (the trail-biking stuff).Ryan was forgotten quite quickly too!

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/12/2022 at 22:01, sutherlandsbigfan said:

Jade Sutherland, she never really got a huge storyline during her years and always seemed Kirsty and Dani had way bigger storylines like With Kane etc. and the way they wrote her of like she found out she was switched at birth and then she went into some phase influenced by duncan and then left.

Only real storyline of hers I remember was her bulimia and getting with Nick who was still with Kirsty at the time even tho she had set her sights on Seb by this point.  Than yeah she was just around for the family darma Kane Angie ect. But her and Nick to this day remain one of my all time favourites copules. The show did them so dirty with that brake up then she gets with his best friend and yeah as you mentioned had horrible exit. Would of loved for Nick and Jade to of left together and have it mentioned they got married and started a family off screen. 

Personally think Hunter had some potential left in him after he was away from Olivia . 

I enjoyed watching Hunter's scenes with Dean and Ryder as Hunter looked like he was going to act like a big brother with Ryder and with Dean in the little screen time they had it look they potential for friendship . 

Matt Wilson they given him storyline of him marry him off to Carly instead of having Ben character. 

• 4 weeks later...

Personally, I feel like the majority of the characters that have arrived and left within the last 13 years, with the possible exception of most of the "long stay" characters, had a lot more potential than the writers were willing to give them before they left. 

With that said, out of all of them, the ones that stick out the most in my eyes are:

• Oscar, Kyle and Mason, all of whom, as adam436 rightfully pointed out, got shafted in favour of guys such as the Braxtons, the Barretts, Ash, Dean, etc.
  • Hannah, who was very unfairly pushed from one horrible love storyline to another without giving her any other type of storyline until just weeks before she was killed off.
  • Alex and Willow. Alex could have reached more potential if the writers had the courage to make her a series regular and Willow was already one of the most interesting characters we've had in a while, but usually ended tagging along with whatever mess Colby, Dean and/or Bella found themselves in.

Also I think Judith should be kept around for longer as she had potential left as she was principal and Donald left couple years later and we could had long term principal in Judith and Judith could taken in teens or be paired up with Rhys after Shelley left and later Tony. 

Judith had more interesting characteristics than Gina who was other older female principal who come years later. 

Archived