Don Fisher storyline dropped in 2015-2017 (more details)

JamesC10

11 hours ago, adam436 said:

I guess I feel like it wasn't needed. The writers had even been building a romance between Chloe and Jesse that they could have just had their happy ending. At the time, I remember thinking that Chloe's death was going to give Irene or Sally and Flynn another foster child in Olivia, but James quickly returned and whisked her off. I vaguely remember Irene having some sort of breakdown after Chloe died though? I stopped watching for a few years not long after Jesse's exit. 

It was more a shiptease revisiting their 1997 dalliance with Jesse's old feelings being awakened. And on this stint they really mashed up Jesse's character. He was never mentioned again after he was taken into custody.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if it is this podcast that Sally Keating had in mind? Debra was a guest on the Talking Prisoner podcast several months ago and 33 minutes in, the conversation turned to that 2009 return. Going by what she has to say and her body language as she talks about it, it doesn't appear to have been the happiest of experiences for her. Even though she doesn't quite come out and say it, my reading of it is that her 2009 return made her realise that she/Pippa didn't belong there any more and that she wouldn't be back. She doesn't seem to even like the show any more, which is fair enough. I was also intrigued by her response to a question about working with Ray Meagher 1hr 9mins in. I don't think they're best buddies!

7 hours ago, cymbaline said:

I wonder if it is this podcast that Sally Keating had in mind? Debra was a guest on the Talking Prisoner podcast several months ago and 33 minutes in, the conversation turned to that 2009 return. Going by what she has to say and her body language as she talks about it, it doesn't appear to have been the happiest of experiences for her. Even though she doesn't quite come out and say it, my reading of it is that her 2009 return made her realise that she/Pippa didn't belong there any more and that she wouldn't be back. She doesn't seem to even like the show any more, which is fair enough. I was also intrigued by her response to a question about working with Ray Meagher 1hr 9mins in. I don't think they're best buddies!

But I  still think Debra would still return in sort guest role  if it was like characters reunion for anniversary episode  and people like Kate Richie was returning too.

Also in her 2009 return as Debra said PTB told her circumstances of her return and it’s not like she was losing out on her return as  she was getting paid for her guest return and I  say her airfare and her stay was being paid for too while in Sydney. 

@Cymbaline - Definitely interesting response about Ray. I thought that Deb would have something more positive to say about him.

Especially since Kate Ritchie loves both Ray and Deb and Dennis, and gets along so well with all of them.

She has such a high regard for all of them.

11 hours ago, j.laur5 said:

But I  still think Debra would still return in sort guest role  if it was like characters reunion for anniversary episode  and people like Kate Richie was returning too.

Also in her 2009 return as Debra said PTB told her circumstances of her return and it’s not like she was losing out on her return as  she was getting paid for her guest return and I  say her airfare and her stay was being paid for too while in Sydney. 

It goes without saying that they would've looked after her well for the return and that financially, it was worth her while to do it. What I picked up on were the more subtle things such as her body language and her tone of voice while she spoke about the experience. They told a completely different story to me. Of course she isn't going to come straight out and say negative things about the show - it isn't in her interests to do so.

11 hours ago, Sunny Girl said:

@Cymbaline - Definitely interesting response about Ray. I thought that Deb would have something more positive to say about him.

Especially since Kate Ritchie loves both Ray and Deb and Dennis, and gets along so well with all of them.

She has such a high regard for all of them.

I was a bit surprised too. She had nice things to say about just about everyone else, but dug herself into a bit of a hole when it came to Ray. She didn't quite knife him but she definitely chucked a few butter knives in his direction.

Kate being friendly with Deb & Dennis, and with Ray wouldn't be all that unusual. I've seen situations like these in real life. Nobody's wrong, nobody's horrible, it's just that you can't put everyone in the same room.

It's long been reported that Ray Meagher, Judy Nunn, Cornelia Frances and Norman Coburn were a tight group, they talk about it in many interviews and articles.... Dennis and Debra were never mentioned as being part of that group.  Judy Nunn also stated in an interview years ago that she and Debra were not close but had a professional respect for each other. I think Kate Ritchie is close friends with Debra and Dennis and then separately also close to the other group, but I don't think Debra and Dennis themselves were close to Ray, Judy etc at all.

I didn't know Judy Nunn had said that but it doesn't surprise me at all. Her onscreen friendship with VanPip is much more believable than her one with DebPip. I get the impression that Debra and Dennis were closer to the younger actors (e.g. Tug, Sam, Finlay, Sarah, Angel, Shannon) than the older ones. It's like any workplace really, isn't it? It's hard to avoid cliques. 

On 03/06/2022 at 08:59, cymbaline said:

I didn't know Judy Nunn had said that but it doesn't surprise me at all. Her onscreen friendship with VanPip is much more believable than her one with DebPip. 

Vanessa and Judy are still good friends today apparently. Vanessa, now working as a lawyer, helped Judy with research for one of her books. 

Archived