H&A, does it deserve the title of longest running Australian soap?

Homeandawayfan.

Now that Neighbours is probably being axed, not just Channel 5 but may be totally axed by Fremantle, is H&A's promotion as longest serving Australia drama serial deserved, or should it be a case of "last in and first out?" as H&A is 2 and a half years younger than Neighbours?

H&A is much more successful in Australia than Neighbours, whereas Neighbours is made for the UK audiences, but H&A is also popular in many other countries such as in Ireland etc.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

Now that Neighbours is probably being axed, not just Channel 5 but may be totally axed by Fremantle, is H&A's promotion as longest serving Australia drama serial deserved, or should it be a case of "last in and first out?" as H&A is 2 and a half years younger than Neighbours?

H&A is much more successful in Australia than Neighbours, whereas Neighbours is made for the UK audiences, but H&A is also popular in many other countries such as in Ireland etc.

A couple of posters on the Neighbours forum seem really cut up about the possibility of H&A overtaking Neighbours and one poster did say that Neighbours should be ''first in last out'' The first in last out argument isn't a very good one, life doesn't really work like that. I think H&A deserves it because its been very successful in its own right. Because Neighbours was always more popular in the UK people seem to think H&A just lived in its shadow but H&A has been popular in other countries and Neighbours not as much. H&A has won the most awards at the logies and has the longest serving Aussie soap character. I feel sad for Neighbours fans to lose their show but H&A being axed first just because it was the last one on wouldn't have been deserved at all.

20 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

If you look at "first in last out" logically, then Neighbours should have been cancelled in 1986 to keep Prisoner (Cell Block H) on the air.

Let's not forget Neighbours was cancelled around that time - by the Seven Network!

Ten picked it up, it became a hit, managed to sell it to the UK and Seven realised they'd made a mistake.  The result was Home & Away!

On 08/02/2022 at 10:13, BobbyFridge said:

A couple of posters on the Neighbours forum seem really cut up about the possibility of H&A overtaking Neighbours and one poster did say that Neighbours should be ''first in last out'' The first in last out argument isn't a very good one, life doesn't really work like that. I think H&A deserves it because its been very successful in its own right. Because Neighbours was always more popular in the UK people seem to think H&A just lived in its shadow but H&A has been popular in other countries and Neighbours not as much. H&A has won the most awards at the logies and has the longest serving Aussie soap character. I feel sad for Neighbours fans to lose their show but H&A being axed first just because it was the last one on wouldn't have been deserved at all.

By 1992/1993 H&A was getting 15 to 17 million viewers on ITV, and was starting to whip Neighbours in the ratings, and even starting to whip Corrie, as an episode of Corrie (minus omnibus) was watched by about 15 million. H&A was caning it.

Although H&A was not created from scratch in late 1986 as I found out, the idea for H&A was being thought of in 1985, but Alan Bateman chose the pre existing project as a replacement for Neighbours and S&D. On Channel 7 archives website in the Aug-Sep 1985 file of publicity images and stills, it had current and future shows and H&A was on the list, as was Rafferty's Rules which first broadcast in 1987.

On 08/02/2022 at 21:13, BobbyFridge said:

I like both shows (H&A more than Neighbours), but Neighbours has only survived for as long as it has with its UK audience. The show could have been finished several years ago without the support of Channel 5.

If H&A remains popular, then yes it's worthy of the title of "longest running Australian soap".

Archived