When did Sally start getting mature?

project90

Started watching the old years. Sally just forever complaining and pouting if someone tells her no. I get she a kid and this is just her character but when i started watching she was early 20s. Just wondering when she started growing up a bit? And what were her teenage years like?

I'm currently at May 1993 and I feel like Sally had 3 year stages:

1988-early 1991 - Little Sally in cute dresses, etc.

1991-1994 - Early teen Sally.  Wears a lot of T-shirts and leggings.  There's the turning point of her needing a bra and then her 12th birthday party with kissing a boy and playing Spin the Bottle, then a beach party in 1992 where she got drunk.  And then in comparison to the very early years "Go away Sal, we're talking about grown-up stuff", the episode where Meg wanted Sally to come too when she told Sophie and Fin about her having cancer, that felt like Sally was being included by the older kids.

1994-1997 - Older high school Sally.  She had other teens her age there.  She seemed to wear a lot of button-down shirts.

1998-2000 - University student Sally.  Moves in with friends.  Has serious boyfriends and nearly gets married.

2001 onwards - Teacher Sally.

It really depends on what you consider "mature". It was around 1991/92 when she began to be more of an equal with the other foster children rather than The Kid, although she was still obviously the youngest and it wasn't really until about 1994 that she had people more-or-less her own age to hang out with. But she was still a teen character, so she was still prone to be petulant on occasions, which continued during her late teens and early 20s. I think 2000/2001 was the point where she really graduated from being a "young" character to being a mature adult. 

• 2 months later...

If the focus of maturity here falls within the personality arena, there is a period between Sam arriving in 91 and Sally running away / being moved up a year in Maths in early 95 which I classify as "early 90s sensible Sally". Kate appears far less in that period (presumably growing academic workload) and Sal is generally characterised as a very sensible, polite, studious and conscientious teenage girl who actually whines very little. Even when used as an emotional punchbag by Sophie et al! Then, from 95, we start to see that whiny side again from the 80s as well as the refocus on her being "excluded and left out", though this time by her true age peers. In the 91-4 period, she does appear to have friends but they are usually the likes of recurring Gloria or unseen characters from her school year group.

If the focus of the thread is more on... physical maturity then... that is a whole other story!! ??

4 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

Had first serious bf Tim, lost V-Card to Scott Irwin.

27 minutes ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Wrong one...

It does seem to be one of those things that's become an urban myth, and it does sound better in the press when they do their biannual "OMG, Heath Ledger and other Hollywood stars were in H&A!" story.

But she'd already slept with Tim two weeks before she hopped into the panel van.

19 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

Had first serious bf Tim, lost V-Card to Scott Irwin.

15 hours ago, Dan F said:

It does seem to be one of those things that's become an urban myth, and it does sound better in the press when they do their biannual "OMG, Heath Ledger and other Hollywood stars were in H&A!" story.

But she'd already slept with Tim two weeks before she hopped into the panel van.

It's a shame the 7Two airings didn't get as far as 1997 so that myth could be exploded along with Matt disappearing into a cupboard. Instead, it seems like every couple of years we have to painstakingly explain that it's nonsense all over again...

I have a feeling that was the initial story but they chickened out and had a little rewrite and I imagine  it was discussed.

Still ITV and the scissors played snippy snippy...

That's the story I would have run with; Sal being far from being ann innocent angel but by no means being a slapper.

Archived