Home & Away: Streaming advice (especially Sky & Virgin users!)

James Martin

Thought this warranted a separate thread.

So I'm sure many will be relying on streaming a lot more following the decision to take the teatime showing of the show off of Channel 5. 

For many, the main disadvantage of the demotion is that 5 Star doesn't broadcast in SD, not even on Sky and Virgin where HD versions of ITV and Channel 4's sister channels are available on certain packages.

Now you might think the solution is to stream on My5 - sadly it's not.  My5 content is only in HD on Samsung Smart TVs and via the catchup systems of Sky and Virgin. 

So if you have either of those platforms, the best thing to do is watch via the Sky/Virgin interface (eg. go backwards in the programme guide or do a search for "Home & Away" in the main system) and NOT the My5 app.  However, if you don't have Sky or Virgin but your broadband is up to it the picture quality from My5 is still technically better than that of 5 Star via Freeview/Freesat for boring techy reasons I won't go into here.

This is also true for ITV and Channel 4, the content is HD via the platform's ecosystem - but not on the actual apps, even though they're available on your boxes.  The other advantage is you can fast-forward the adverts! ?

Archived