Would a miniseries with old characters work?

Days of our Lives is bringing out a miniseries which features multiple former characters returning. I was wondering if a Home and Away miniseries or telemovie would work?

I know there have been a few specials but they’ve involved recent characters. I was wondering if they could try and bring back as many former characters as possible.

I’m imagining it being similar to the ferry disaster that aired in the early 00s where multiple past characters returned and were involved in a big storyline/disaster.

Since starting to watch the early years, I've wondered about a prequel mini-series from 1982 period when Alan, Bobby, Roo and Matt were in year 6 together.  That was also the year that Matt's brother Shane was murdered by Al Simpson (but Fisher thought he'd done it).  And Shane had been comforting Bobby after she'd been hit by Simpson.

On 07/09/2021 at 21:12, homeandawayroxsomuch. said:

Since starting to watch the early years, I've wondered about a prequel mini-series from 1982 period when Alan, Bobby, Roo and Matt were in year 6 together.  That was also the year that Matt's brother Shane was murdered by Al Simpson (but Fisher thought he'd done it).  And Shane had been comforting Bobby after she'd been hit by Simpson.

Ooooh, that's an interesting idea, but sadly I don't think the currently producers would be interested in any sort of prequel/sequel from that era. 

The story of Matt's brother's death would make an interesting story for a spin-off prequel though and I imagine would be much darker than it would have been had it been done in 1990. Supporting characters in your idea could include any of Alf, Martha, Celia, Lance, Martin, Colleen and Rebecca, and recurring characters like Alison, Walter Bertram, Barbara, Bob Barnett. They were all Summer Bay residents at the time. 

Keeping the early years theme, I would create "The Flecthers" - a character-driven series that follows Tom and Pippa in the years leading up to them moving to Summer Bay. I am sure they were not always the perfect foster parents - a young Frank and Carly would have been a steep learning curve for them and they would have made mistakes. We could see the Fletcher family grow throughout the series whilst exploring the backstories of the five original foster children in detail, either in flashbacks or in a linear fashion (the latter could only include the weeks/days leading up to them being placed in care though!). The series could also be "padded" out if needed, by including some short-term foster children who came and went before the series began, either under successful or unsuccessful (a la Dodge) circumstances. 

On 11/09/2021 at 00:35, adam436 said:

by including some short-term foster children who came and went before the series began, either under successful or unsuccessful (a la Dodge) circumstances.

When Sophie asked Sally stuff about being fostered in early 1990, Sally mentioned that there were two short-term foster children called Darren and Kelly.  They could have been more like Lynn and able to go back to their families or found other relatives later on.  If they'd been unsuccessful, Sally might have made negative comments about them.

This is a good idea. I think there was discussion on this a few years back. The official  home and away books can be used as the story lines since they pretty much explain the back story of the main characters. 

However,  I’m wondering if the programme has evolved so much that there might not be much interest for it. In addition, the official home and away books exist, so the producers might not think there is a need to do a mini series. 

2 hours ago, Summer's Bay said:

This is a good idea. I think there was discussion on this a few years back. The official  home and away books can be used as the story lines since they pretty much explain the back story of the main characters. 

However,  I’m wondering if the programme has evolved so much that there might not be much interest for it. In addition, the official home and away books exist, so the producers might not think there is a need to do a mini series. 

I'd LOVE to read those books, especially the one for Carly and Steven.  And I've also heard that it's mentioned in the books that Tom was fostered as a child himself (which I don't remember being mentioned in the show).  But these books aren't easy to find these days.

2 hours ago, homeandawayroxsomuch. said:

I'd LOVE to read those books, especially the one for Carly and Steven.  And I've also heard that it's mentioned in the books that Tom was fostered as a child himself (which I don't remember being mentioned in the show).  But these books aren't easy to find these days.

Check Amazon. That is where I got mine from. 

I don’t recall Toms side of the family ever being mentioned. I doubt they attended his funeral. 

Archived