Becoming A Family

Zig

Chapter 11

It was the next day when Dan spotted Sally in the school halls "You have  a minute?" Sally nods at her colleague as the pair walk into a classroom "What going on Dan?" Dan takes a breath and looks at Sally "The young girl Cassie that was with Flynn yesterday does her mum know she is here?" Sally was confused why Dan was asking this and what it had to do with him  "Her mum and even if she was alive why would it be...." Sally stops speaking as he notices tears in his eyes "What is it?" Dan sits on one of the desks "Her mum was my ex we dated in high school and remained friends since, I recognized who Cassie was because I saw her allot when I was younger before I moved here" Sally can see how emotional Dan was "I'm sorry Dan I can see how close you guys were" Dan just wanted to know one thing "How did she die?" Sally recalls what she had been told "She was killed in a hit and run" Dan couldn't believe it he was broken with tears in his eye. He couldn't believe his first true love is gone. "Cassie I want to see her" Sally can see he is eager "I will go home now and ask her but the choice will be hers" Dan nods as Sally looks at him "Will you be ok?" Dan nods again as Sally walks out.

Sally arrives home to see Flynn, Ric and Cassie watching  a movie. Cassie is the first one to spot Sally "Aren't you suppose to be working?" This causes Flynn and Ric to turn around and for her husband to look concerned "Everything ok?" Sally gets nervous worried how Cassie would handle this "I need to talk to Cassie outside alone." Cassie nods and gets up before heading outside with Sally following. To say Cassie was worried about this chat would be an understatement.

Once the pair were outside Cassie sat down and looked at Sally with a worried face. "I need to ask you something Cassie and I figured it was better to do this alone without Flynn or Ric overhearing" Cassie nods but is worried as Sally continues "Do you remember Dan Baker?" That was the last name Cassie was expecting to hear but she did remember him "Yeah he was a friend of my mum I saw him a bit when I was younger. Why do you ask? Do you know him?" Sally nods as she looks at a curious Cassie "I do. He lives in the bay and he saw you with Flynn yesterday and recognized you" Cassie nods remembering the exact moment "Yeah I remember I ran off in fear don't ask me why but I did" Sally knows this next thing might upset Cassie "He wants to see you". Cassie nods she had an idea this was coming "I will go now. Does he know about mum?" Sally looks at a teary Cassie "He does and he didn't take it well" Cassie had a feeling Sally would say that "Do you know where he is?" Sally had a feeling Cassie wanted to get it over with "Yeah at the school he works with me" Cassie smiles "Can you take me to see him?" Sally nods as the pair head inside quickly letting Flynn and Ric know they had plans before leaving to go to the school.

Cassie and Sally walk in the school immediately spotting Dan in one of the classrooms Cassie walked in and shut the door "Dan?" Dan looks up "I'm sorry for running of yesterday I didn't realize who you were and I have been struggling since mum died" Dan nods in understanding "I get it. I just couldn't believe you were in the bay and I was worried it was someone else" Cassie nods "I get that. I'm sorry that you had to hear about mum so long after the fact" Dan looks at her "That is my fault for not staying in touch." Cassie gets that "Yeah Sally said you live here now" Dan nods "You know mum never stopped loving you" Dan have tears in his eyes "And I never stopped loving her. I miss her" Cassie nods in understanding "Yeah me too" Cassie talked to Dan for a bit longer before telling Dan she needed to leave as she was getting to upset.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 12

Dan walked to Sally office hoping that Cassie went to see her before she left after all he just wanted to check if she was ok. Dan knocked on the door before hearing footsteps and the door opening with Sally standing infront of it. "How Cassie?" Sally was surprised as she didn't even realize she had left "I don't know she haven't been back in here" Dan gets worried and Sally can see that "What is it?" Dan knows he needs to give Sally an answer but he doesn't want to worry her "We talked about her mum and I think as much as she wouldn't admit it that it got too much for her" Dan can see Sally concerned look and he felt the same "I'm sure she will be fine but I will check in  with her tonight" Dan smiles and nods "Thank you" before walking out.

Cassie arriving back home runs inside past both Flynn and Ric and up the stairs which leaves then worried. She immediately goes to her room and shuts the door before laying on her bed and crying. It is less then two minutes later when she hears a knock at the door and when it opens she looks up with puffy eyes to see a concerned Ric who walks over and sits besides her and pulls her into a hug "It is ok Cassie whatever it is we will get through it just tell me what you need" Cassie cries harder "I need to leave the bay" Ric was shocked at her statement after all he thought she loved it here even more then he did "Why? I thought you loved it here" Cassie gets up to get her suitcase to pack which makes Ric concerned even more "Cassie tell me what is going on" Cassie keeps packing as she looks at Ric "Mum ex lives here and seeing him hurts me it reminds me too much of mum" Ric can her sadness "That no reason to leave Cassie" Cassie looks at Ric "I have made my choice"

It is a short while later when Sally arrives home and kisses her husband "Where the kids?" Flynn smiles "Upstairs catching up I think why?" Sally shakes her head "No reason." This worried Flynn more he knew something was up as Cassie came home a mess, Ric hadn't come back down and Sally was acting weird "Sally tell me what is going on?" Sally shakes her head "Nothing it fine" Sally reassures her husband and kisses him  again which he returns but he couldn't help that worry something was wrong with Cassie.

Ric walked downstairs shortly later relieved to see Sally there and walks towards her ignoring Flynn "Cassie filled me in on today" Sally nods "I was just about to come and see her is she ok?"  Ric got a serious look on his face which makes Sally even more worried "She packing a suitcase and saying she is leaving" This gets Flynn attention as he walks towards the pair "Does someone want to tell me why she wants to leave?" Sally and Ric give each other a look before both nodding as deep down they knew Flynn might just be able to convince her to stay. Sally is the one who decides to say something first "Dan Baker came to talk to me today" Flynn looks confused "What that got to do with Cassie" Ric steps forward and looks at Flynn "He is her mum ex. When he saw her with you he knew who she was" Flynn takes the information in as Sally looks at her husband "I came home earlier as Dan wanted me to ask Cassie if she would see him which she agreed too" Ric cuts Sally off deciding to tell Flynn the rest "Cassie said seeing Dan bringing up too many painful memories of her mum so she needs to leave" Flynn understands what the pair are saying "I will go up and talk to her maybe even fixed this but I wish you told me earlier Sally perhaps then I could of helped her soon" With that Flynn heads upstairs with the hope of talking Cassie out of leaving the bay.

Chapter 13

Flynn walks up the stairs having no idea what to say to convince her to stay but he knew he needed to think of something fast if he didn't want to lose her for good and he wasn't just about to lose someone that was already becoming a daughter to him and he wasn't let Ric lose the person he came here to protect. When he finally reached the top of the stairs he headed in the direction of Cassie's bedroom and when he got there he took a breath a knocked on the door and within in ten seconds the door opened to reveal Cassie "So Ric told you I'm leaving" Flynn nods "He did and I think we should talk" Cassie moves out of the way and allowing Flynn to come in before closing the bedroom door behind her.

The pair were now sitting on the bed "I get that seeing Dan is hard and I get why you would want to run but everywhere you go no matter how hard you try you will never be able to forget your mum" Cassie nods truth is she already knew that "This isn't about mum those and I know you all think it is" Flynn is confused but figures it about Dan "So this is about Dan?" Cassie begins to crumble but wipes her eyes before she could cry " The year between when Dan stopped seeing us and Ric came to live us mum had depressed" Flynn was shocked "I thought Ric knew Dan" Cassie nods "He did Dan had came around a few times before he left when Ric was there before we knew about his dad" Flynn nods "Right well how bad was your mum depression?" Cassie is now struggling to keep it together and cries as she speaks "She used to cry at night, she never slept and she considered self harming herself sometimes" Flynn was shocked he didn't realize how much Cassie went through "But she didn't?" Cassie shakes her head "No cause I stayed up for hours talking to her so she wouldn't" Cassie pauses as her tears flow and Flynn pulls her into his arms "Seeing Dan bought up all the memories of that and I couldn't cope looking at him  after what mum went through when he left" Flynn holds Cassie in his arms understanding now why she feels this way but he is determined for her to stay.

It is a little while later when Cassie calms down and sits up again "I'm sorry for dumping that on you Flynn" Flynn is shocked she is even saying sorry "Cassie you don't need to ever say your sorry for talking to anyone about this. You shouldn't go through this alone and I'm here for you whatever you need, Sally is too" Cassie nods "I know you are but that will be hard when I leave". Flynn knew he had to convince her to stay she just couldn't be alone "I get it seeing Dan is hard but here your uncle can't find you or hurt you and you also have support here whenever things happen. You have Sally, Ric and me and we all will  be here for you whenever things are tough" Cassie can tell Flynn is determined "Your not giving up on this are you" Flynn nods at this "No I'm not Cassie. I know life is hard and I want to help you through that besides we are not ready to lose you none of us so we really do want you to stay". Cassie knows it is going to take some time to get used to seeing Dan particularly with what memories it brings up for her but she felt at home here with Flynn and Sally for the first time in a long time and deep down she knew she couldn't leave then and most importantly Ric behind. Cassie smiles at Flynn "Fine I'll stay but I can't see Dan please I don't want too" Flynn nods "We will make sure you don't. I'm just glad your not leaving us. I love you Cassie" Cassie smiles she never had someone who felt like a father to her the way Flynn did in such a short time and it did make her happy to hear him say it "I love you too" The pair pulled each other into a hug both smiling. Flynn was so happy that he was able to convince Cassie to stay and that he wouldn't be losing her.

Chapter 14 

Ric and Sally are in the kitchen a little while later and to say Ric was worried he was going to lose Cassie and he didn't think he would cope here if she left like as much as he was liking living with Flynn and Sally he knew it wouldn't be the same without Cassie. Ric looks at Sally "Do you reckon Flynn will convince her to stay?" Ric had his fingers cross at this point "If anyone good at convincing people to do something it is my husband" Ric smiles knowing Sally is right "Well he did convince me to come here" Sally can see his worry so hoped she was right and that Flynn had convinced Cassie to stay.

It was a few minutes later when Sally and Ric finally heard footsteps coming downstairs and turned around towards the steps eager for an answer once they came down. Cassie was first to walk in with Flynn closely following. Ric looked at Cassie he couldn't wait any longer for an answer "So?" Cassie have a big smile on her face "Flynn managed to convince me to stay" Ric had never been so relief and ran towards Cassie hugging her then lifting her up and spinning her around in his arms as Flynn and Sally watched the teenagers "I'm so glad your staying Cass" Cassie smiles as Ric holds her "I am too but you should be thanking Flynn. He was the one that convinced me to stay" Ric smiles as he walks towards Flynn still with Cassie in his arms as he let one hand out to shake Flynn's "Thank you" Flynn smiles "Anytime. We love having you both here" Sally smiles "Yeah since you guys came along our family felt complete" The group smile as Ric drops Cassie down and the group get into a group hug.

It is later that night when the group decide to go to the diner for dinner. They were all excited for their first family outing but Cassie was worried she would see Dan there and she wasn't ready to face him yet. They walked in and sat at a booth Flynn and Cassie sat on one side and Ric and Sally did on the other. The group looked at the menu and shortly after Leah came over and took their orders and as she was about to leave Sally stopped her "Can you take a photo of us?" This made Ric and Cassie confused "It is family tradition for Sally family to have a photo of the family on the mantel piece" Ric and Cassie both smiled at what Flynn said and they were both starting to feel at home "Sure I will" Sally smiled at Leah as her and Ric got up and smiled as they walked to the booth behind Flynn and Cassie and kneeled on the seating so that Sally was behind Flynn and Ric was behind Cassie. Leah smiled with Sally's phone ready "Say family" The four spoke in union "Family" Leah took the photo and gave a thumbs up  handed Sally her phone as her and Ric headed back to their seats. When they did Sally looked at Ric and Cassie "You guys are family and I promise no matter what you aren't going anywhere. Both Flynn I love you guys" Cassie and Ric spoke in union "I love you both too" This made Flynn and Sally smile and for all four it was like their family was complete.

Chapter 15

After the dinner the four were heading home. All feeling happy as they had an enjoyable night and thankfully for Cassie they didn't run into Dan which made her more relaxed. Once the four arrived home Cassie looked at Ric want to talk out here for a minute. Ric nods as Sally and Flynn go inside closing the door behind then.

When Sally and Flynn are gone Ric looks at Cassie "Is everything ok?" Cassie nods "Can I tell you something crazy?" Ric nods as Cassie continues "For the first time in my life I felt at home, like I have parents and a family and even with the Dan stuff the rest of it is making me really happy" Ric nods "I know how you feel. I'm glad after everything we went through we have finally found a place" Before Ric says anything Cassie cuts him off "Home" Ric nods "Exactly. Sally and Flynn are great people. I was worried at first". Cassie smiles knowing what he was going to say next "But now you wouldn't change any of it for anything" Ric nods "Exactly what about you how do you feel now?" Cassie smiles thinking how much happier she feels "I'm away from my uncle, with you and ever since I met Flynn in the diner and then him oftening us to stay. Don't ask me why but for the first time in my life I am really happy" Ric nods knowing exactly how she feels. 

Meanwhile Sally is inside finding a spare frame as Flynn prints out the photo "You know Flynn I'm so happy you bought Ric and Cassie here. Our family finally feels complete" Flynn smiles he understands everything Sally saying as he feels the same way "Yeah it does. I'm glad that I got the chance to talk to Cassie and then meet Ric, You know everything felt right from the moment I asked then  to come and stay". Sally nods she can tell her husband already loves Ric and Cassie so much "You love then like they were your own kids" Flynn smiles at Sally statement as picks up a frame and hands it to Flynn who puts the photo in before looking at it "Yeah I do. I don't want to lose then" Sally smiles "Neither do I"

Ric and Cassie come inside shortly after. Sally smiles at the pair "For as long as I can remember this house had the traditional of putting a photo of the family on the mantel and I think it time for us to do that cause to me and Flynn you are our family" This makes both Cassie and Ric smiles as Flynn shows then the photo before handing it to Cassie who walks over and puts the photo in an empty spot on the mantel. Cassie walks back to the others as the four admire the photo before Sally hugs Ric and Flynn does Cassie then they all stare at the photo again saying the same thing at the same time "Our family is now complete".

Chapter 16

It was the next day when Cassie volunteered to go and get everyone coffee after all it was her way of thanking then all for supporting her. As she got closer to the diner she saw Dan in the distance and quickly hid behind a tree until he was out of sight. She just hoped he wasn't heading to the diner cause if he was she wasn't sure if she would be able to handle it.

Once Cassie knew he was gone she walked in the diner and breathes a sigh of relief when she isn't there. She spots Irene who smiles at her "What would you like?" Cassie hands Cash as she orders "Three coffees and one Apple Juice" Irene smiles as she takes the cash "Sure I will take care of it now"

As Cassie waited for her order she was in her own world thinking about the past few days until she heard her name "Cassie can we talk?" Cassie looked up annoyed to see Dan as he was the last person she wanted to see as if bought up way too many painful memories for her and that was something she was barley coping with "Look I don't want to talk to you" Dan looks at Cassie as he sees Leah watching then "Look your mum would want us to talk and for me to look after you" This made Cassie rage "You don't know what my mum would want so don't you dare say that" Cassie ran out of the diner in  tears not even caring about the coffee.

Cassie kept crying as she walked she didn't know where she was going but it wasn't to the caravan park. She couldn't face anyone or questions right now as everything was getting to much for her. Cassie finally stopped walking and was surprised that she had reached the rocks but she knew here no one would find her. She sat on there lifted her knees up had her head buried in it and cried just letting all her emotions and everything painful out of her. 

Meanwhile at the Summer Bay house Ric looked to Flynn "It been half a hour shouldn't she been back by now?" Flynn nods "Yeah she should off". Ric was worried to say the least "What if her uncle found her?" This time Sally jumped in "Let's not jump to that conclusion yet. We will spilt up and find her. Flynn takes the North end of the beach and the rocks, Ric  and I will check anywhere near the diner and the diner" The boys nod at Sally before Ric says the words "And if we don't find her or something happened" Sally hugs Ric "We don't worry about that yet". The three headed out the door Sally and Ric heading in the one direction and Flynn in the other all with the hope they would find Cassie.

Chapter  17

Sally and Ric were looking everywhere around near the diner and so far that had zero lucky and as the minutes went on they were getting more worried and fearing the worst had happened. Ric looked at Sally with a worried face "What if he got her?" Sally can hear the fear in his voice "We don't know anything yet. Let's go in the diner who knows she might have been in there" Ric nods agreeing and really hoping that she had.

The pair walked in the diner to see Irene and Leah at the counter and made a beeline for it. Sally looked at her friends "Have you seen Cassie?" The pair have a look of concern "She came in here ordered drinks and left without then" Sally and Ric both took in the information as Ric jumped in "Any idea why?" Irene shakes her head "I came back out with her drinks and she was gone". The concern on Sally and Ric faces said it all so Leah jumped in "Look I don't know why but Dan tried to talk at her and she had a go at him". This made Ric mad "He is unbelievable she wandered off and is alone because of him" With that Ric bolts out of the diner with Sally closely behind him.

Once they got outside Ric looked at Sally "This is his fault " Sally can tell he is upset and hugs him "Don't give up yet we will find her besides who knows Flynn could of had some luck" Ric knew Sally had a point "You might be right but Dan needs to stay away" Sally nods in agreement "Right now we focus on Cassie then once she found I will tell Dan that" Ric nods as the pair keep walking around in search for Cassie.

Meanwhile Flynn was walking along the beach and had been for ten minutes when he finally spotted the teenager sitting alone on the rocks which made him more worried then before. He immediately started running towards the rocks in the hopes they she wouldn't do anything crazy in the meantime.

Once Flynn arrived he saw Cassie looking out of the ocean "It a great view isn't it" Cassie turns around at the sound of his voice and Flynn immediately spots her puffy eyes and sits beside her as he quickly sends Sally a text before focusing back on Cassie "You got us very worried" Cassie feels awful "I just needed to be alone" Flynn knows there more to this "Cassie I know something wrong and I can't help unless you tell me" Cassie knows what she tells Flynn will change everything "Dan tried to talk to me. I couldn't cope and yelled at him. He reminds me of all the pain of losing my mum and it kills me. I miss her" Cassie tears won't stop flowing as Flynn pulls her in his arms "I know losing someone you love sucks and seeing Dan sucks but your not alone, if your hurting you should come to me or Sally" Cassie nods "I guess I'm used to going through it all alone" Flynn nods in understanding as he hugs Cassie again "Well your not alone anymore you have us" Cassie and Flynn smile at each other "How about we head home? Sally and Ric have been worried about you" Cassie nods "Sure that sounds good" The pair get up to start to head home.

Chapter 18

The moment Cassie walked in the door she ran into Sally and Ric arms giving the pair the biggest hug as Flynn watched on. He couldn't help it he was happy and just hoped now that would get some form of normal. Cassie looked at Flynn "This is a group hug come on" With that Flynn walked towards Sally and Cassie and got into the between then as they hugged. Cassie smiled "You guys are the best family anyone could ask for I'm so lucky to have you guys" This makes all of then smile as Sally speaks "We are the lucky ones".

Meanwhile as Dan walked along the beach with Leah he saw the face he never wanted nor expected to see "Dan Baker" Dan walked towards the man with Leah behind him "What the hell are you doing here?" Dan was furious after what this guy did to Cassie's mum and probably Cassie too he wanted to kill him "Cassie ran off and I figured if anyone she would come and find you" Dan shakes his head "I haven't since her since I came to the bay" Cassie's uncle steps forward "Well if you do tell her I'm looking for her" Dan nods as Leah watched everything unfold as Cassie uncle walked away.

When Leah knew Cassie uncle was far away enough she looked at Dan "What was that about?" Dan looks worried "I need to find Cassie and I need to warn her" Leah was confused having no clue what was going on "Why?" Dan looks serious "Because he hurt Cassie's mum and my guess Cassie too" With that Leah nods in understanding.

Dan bolted to the house and knocked on the door, shortly after it opened and Dan saw Cassie and breathed a sigh of relief "Good your safe". Cassie moved to let him in "Yeah why wouldn't I be?" Dan looked around "Where everyone else?" Cassie can tell he is worried about her "They are upstairs, now I'm sorry about before but what is going on?" Dan looks serious and this worried Cassie more "Dan what is it?" Dan crosses his arms "Your uncle he is here" Cassie couldn't breathe she felt like well like she had no control anymore "Look I told him I haven't seen you but you need to be careful Cassie" Cassie nods as she hears people walking down the stairs "I will I promise I will be careful and you need to be too" The trio who heard the last sentence was worried as they looked at the pair. It was Flynn who asked the question "Why do you guys need to be careful? What is going on?" Dan is the one who speaks "You guys should all take a seat" Dan and Cassie both knew this chat was going to be a long one before it had even began.

Chapter 19

Cassie looked at everyone to see their reactions to what she and Dan had just told then. It was clear Sally was worried while Ric looked like he wanted to kill the guy and Flynn well he looked stressed and Cassie could get why as she felt the same way. She was stressed and scared she just prayed her uncle wouldn't find her and hurt her or the people she loved which was everyone in the room with her at that exact moment.

It was later that night when Cassie went downstairs and sat on the couch in the dark. She knew she wouldn't be getting any sleep and was too scared to even close her eyes at that point as she had a million things going through her mind such as how everyone else was coping with the news, what she would do if he found her and what everyone else would do, as well as wanting to protect the people she cared about most in this world.

She was laying on the couch a hour later when she heard footsteps "Cassie" Cassie was relieved to hear Sally voice "Hey sorry did I wake you?" Sally walks towards Cassie who sits up so she can sit beside her "No I wasn't asleep". Cassie nods in understanding "Look I can just go if it too much" Sally who now is sitting beside her grabs Cassie hand "You are not going anywhere Cassie. We will all get through this together" Cassie have a look of guilt "None of this is your fault Cassie's what going on is your uncle fault not yours" Cassie looks at Sally "I care about you guys and I don't want him to hurt you or for me to lose you guys" Sally pulls Cassie into a hug "Well your never losing Flynn, Ric or I, we all love you and your are not going anywhere" Cassie smiles "Thank you for everything you have done Sally. I already said it too Flynn but I really grateful for what your done for Ric and I" Sally smiles as they still hug "Of course, Flynn and I are always here for both of you. You guys are family now and it won't get rid of us that easily" Cassie smiles relieved as Sally switches the TV on "Romantic movies until the boys wake up" Cassie smiles again "That sounds perfect"

Chapter 20

It was the next morning when Flynn and Ric were on their morning run when Ric saw him in the distance and could see him walking towards him which led him to stop. He was pale and not only was he worried about Cassie but himself and Flynn too. When Flynn noticed Ric wasn't behind him he stopped "What is it?" Ric doesn't want to get Flynn involved in this "I will meet you at home" Flynn crosses his arms and shakes his head "That isn't happening I will wait here". 

Ric stepped forward as he saw him "Where Cassie?" Flynn instantly knows who this must be and is about to step in but before he gets a chance too Ric covers "We had a falling out and I haven't seen her in days" Cassie uncle crossed his arms "You two always fought" He steps closer before  pulling Ric collar  "If you see her Ric tell her to come home" All Ric can do is nod as Cassie's uncle lets him go and drops him to the ground before walking away.

Flynn straight away runs to Ric aid and helps him up "I can see why you need to get Cassie away from him. Are you ok?" Ric nods "Nothing I'm not used too" Flynn understands "Well you shouldn't ever be used to that. You and Cassie don't deserve any of what happened to you guys" Ric nods "True but in a way it have shaped us" The pair start walking home as Flynn thinks about both Ric and Cassie truth was with Cassie's uncle in town and seeing him in action Flynn was worried for the pair even more he didn't want to see then hurt by anyone particularly him.

They arrive home shortly lately and Cassie straight away know something up "What is it?" Sally looks up as she holds Pippa and is very concerned. Ric steps forward and grabs Cassie's hand "Your uncle he saw me" Cassie felt sick her whole world was crushing down in that moment "Cass he doesn't know your here. I lied said we fought and haven't seen you in days" Cassie nods "Yeah well he won't give up and he will know that because you are here I will be too" Flynn walks towards Cassie as she sits down and sits beside her "Look you don't go anywhere alone Sally, Ric or I will go with you and then we can make sure he doesn't hurt you" Cassie shakes her head "Nothing will stop him " Flynn can see the fear in her eyes and moves closer and hugs her "Cassie your not alone. You have us now to protect you and we will not let anything happen to you I promise" All Cassie can do is nod yesterday was hard enough but knowing her uncle knows she here now well it makes her even more scared.

Archived