Did Neville and Floss only have a proper purpose in the Pilot?

On 29/07/2021 at 08:06, Homeandawayfan. said:

People moan about the lack of fostering in today's show but by the end of 1988 the show was drifting away from Tom and Pippa and the fostering format and became more about the Stewart's, Macklins, Fishers - and Bobby, Carly and Frank taking centre stage out of the foster children. Luckily Pippa was revived 2 years later and given a central role again. I feel by the end of 1988, Tom had reached his natural end, as did the aforementioned Floss and Neville.

You make a good point - we also had characters like Adam, Matt, Marilyn, Grant and Ben who rounded out the early twenty-something cast, taking up space in the cast that foster children could have been.

I guess the fostering was more "shared out" rather than centralised at Summer Bay House - Fisher took in Viv and the Stewarts had Emma, Blake, Karen and Simon, presumably to allow relationships between the Fletcher kids and other foster teens to become more acceptable. Summer Bay House fostering picked up again in 1991ish when Pippa married Michael. It was around then that Sophie and Sally became more prominent character and were introduced to Finn, Damien, Sam. Eventually, we got the likes of Selina, Jack, Shannon, Curtis, Chloe etc. 

On 30/07/2021 at 08:07, c120701 said:

Yes, it became the Stacey Macklin show for a while.

Some of us weren't complaining about that :lol:

Stacey was an interesting one - she had no real purpose after she left the Macklins and Phillip died. She was given random filler storylines like making jewelry out of shells and shoehorned into scenes, and didn't really have any strong connections outside of Andrew Foley and to an extent, Ailsa and Steven. 

16 hours ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

Neville was one of only 2 originals who never returned either chronologically or as a vision such as Tom in 2008. The other one was Lyn Davenport, it has not been said what happened to Lyn in the years since her departure as far as I know.

I guess it depends on how you look at it - Lynn left Summer Bay to live with her parents, but she remained in the opening credits for months and only returned for an episode or two. Personally, I view her as having "returned" after leaving. In terms of actors it has just been Frank Lloyd, Justine Clarke, Vanessa Downing and Helena Bozich (depending on how you view your exit), who never returned in some capacity from the original cast. 

On 28/07/2021 at 20:32, c120701 said:

I heard that about the magazine too.

The show was definitely changing direction after that first year to focus on the younger cast (& audience), The Bayside Diner was launched, we then saw the Surf Club and the beach which was a secondary character, really started to become more of a focus. 

The show had always been about the young to start with.

On 30/07/2021 at 14:57, Homeandawayfan. said:

Neville was one of only 2 originals who never returned either chronologically or as a vision such as Tom in 2008. The other one was Lyn Davenport, it has not been said what happened to Lyn in the years since her departure as far as I know.

Floss was great, she was bubbly and chatty.

The only thing said about Lynn, I think is that Pippa never heard from her, which she took as a sign that everything worked out with her real family.