Which family "survivor" transitioned the best?

project90

Out of those mentioned, I'd say Sally. She made the transition from foster child, to share house (first with Vinnie and Jesse, then with Leah, Shauna/Charlotte and Gypsy) and finally, starting a family with Flynn. 

From what I saw of the late 2000s, Tony seemed to stay relevant by transitioning from the large Hunter-Holden step family into a marriage with Rachel. 

48 minutes ago, adam436 said:

Out of those mentioned, I'd say Sally. She made the transition from foster child, to share house (first with Vinnie and Jesse, then with Leah, Shauna/Charlotte and Gypsy) and finally, starting a family with Flynn. 

From what I saw of the late 2000s, Tony seemed to stay relevant by transitioning from the large Hunter-Holden step family into a marriage with Rachel. 

Yeah exactly. Also, the Austins had arrived in the bay so that was more family connections for him

I forgot about the Austins being related to the Holdens. I guess they felt like a separate entity again though because they lasted so long after Tony and Gina was married to John, who is still around. Would John be the "survivor" of the Austin family then? Since he outstayed Gina, Xavier and Jett. 

Do we consider Alf a "family survivor"? He lost Ailsa, Duncan and foster son in Mitch in quick succession in the early 2000s. From what I remember, he was on his own after that for a long time after that, but then maybe 3-4 years later, Ric, Martha and Morag came along and he became part of the Summer Bay House family after Flynn died. During the years between his "old" and "new" families, Alf felt a bit like a spare part - I don't really remember him doing much in that time except for the brain tumour storyline. So I guess in that sense, he didn't immediately transition well, but eventually he transitioned seamlessly into a new family at the centre of the show. 

I wouldn’t say Alf worked well as a transitioning survivor, as he became a background character for a while, and then had to be reinvented.

I do think there are more recent examples of people who have worked well. Hayley and Dani worked well to transition from the the schoolgirl era to uni student and sustain relevant storylines. This has rarely been done without the character moving away shortly after. Hayley then went on to marry Noah and then moved back in with Irene for her final phase. 

Leah has transitioned through similar phases, most notably from single mother to mother of all (around the time her house burnt down) and now creating this current relationship with Justin. 

I’d also say Sam has worked well, especially considering he bounced from house to house over the course of 10 years. 

19 hours ago, project90 said:

Alf had 5 months between Seb leaving who was his great nephew that he was looking after and long lost grandson Rick arriving but the Rick connection wasn't revealed right away don't thihk he did much in that time 

I was thinking more between the entire period between mid 2001, when Duncan left, through to the arrival of Ric and Martha in late 2004/early 2005. I'd completely forgotten that Seb lived with Alf for a few months after Fisher left. I guess it couldn't have been a memorable relationship. 

Definitely Sally comes to mind like with others. In recent times, Ziggy is closest to achieving a good transition but I do think she needs stronger roots in the wider community. This is something that Sally can't be matched on.

• 3 months later...

Don transitioned a fair bit too, although seemingly a lone character at the beginning, he was connected to the Stewarts and Bobby, so he went in and out of family/house share situations as well as time by himself, but his role at the school placed him well to still feel central. 

Archived