Is 2005-2006 considered classic era?.

j.laur5

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still see it as classic H&A. 2005 was paradise, 2021 is hogwash.

I feel classic H&A finally ended when Sally and Pippa left and it became a crime/medical show. We still have Alf, Irene, Leah and Maz but they seem to be sidelined for the Paratas, Morgans and Braxtons before that. H&A missed a trick by not having Justin Morgan related to Frank, and his real name being Lee.

On 30/05/2021 at 23:47, Homeandawayfan. said:

I feel classic H&A finally ended when Sally and Pippa left and it became a crime/medical show. 

Yes, it depends when the individual views the ending of "classic H&A". For me, it ended in 2000 with the arrival of the Sutherlands, the loss of the original Diner and Stewart house and the departure of a heap of characters of the course of late 1999 - late 2000. I kept watching until mid 2005, but it had a different vibe. 

I've heard others say it ended with the arrival of the Braxtons and others, like you, say it ended with Sally leaving. 

I think there are a few times when "classic" Home and Away could be considered to be finished.

- 2000, after Sally's non-wedding with the Fletchers leaving Summer Bay House one by one, before the Sutherland family arrived the next episode.

- 2004's season finale episode, where everything was wrapped up nicely and practically all of the characters were happy and settled before Dan Bennett's era the following year where everything started to become more melodramatic with lots of villains arriving like the Summer Bay Stalker, Johnny Cooper, (etc).

- 2008 with Sally's last appearance as a full-time character.

I started watching the show more then...Adored Amanda Vale, my all time favourite!?

Josh West was a fantastic villain and I loved his relationship with Amanda/winding everyone up in the Bay in general and getting under their skin RE Project 56 and scheming for Graham's money until they turned on each other eventually and one of his many enemies eventually killed him.

I really liked Rocco too!

Oh man, so many great characters and SL's from this era.

Although I did really like Vinnie/Donald from the era before that...

On 01/06/2021 at 08:16, Jamie! said:

I think there are a few times when "classic" Home and Away could be considered to be finished.

- 2000, after Sally's non-wedding with the Fletchers leaving Summer Bay House one by one, before the Sutherland family arrived the next episode.

- 2004's season finale episode, where everything was wrapped up nicely and practically all of the characters were happy and settled before Dan Bennett's era the following year where everything started to become more melodramatic with lots of villains arriving like the Summer Bay Stalker, Johnny Cooper, (etc).

- 2008 with Sally's last appearance as a full-time character.

I think that pretty much sums it up and I guess it depends on the individual. 

2000 was definitely the biggest change for me. The huge cast and set changes, the arrival of the Sutherlands and the revamped theme tune and opening titles.  

The 2004 finale didn't feel like the end of an era at the time, but it definitely was. At the time, I viewed it more as the start of a new one, since Sally was instilled at Summer Bay House and fostered Ric, so it felt like the show had come full circle and was ready to return to its roots. Pretty much as soon as 2005 opened though, we had the fire at The Palace, the Stalker etc. I kept ploughing on for a few months, but Chloe's needless death was the final straw for me. 

I dipped in and out of the show after that, only tuning in for the "event episodes", such as Flynn's death, Mariyln's return, Sally's departure etc., but I didn't really watch anything after Sally left, so I don't really know what the post-Sally years felt like. I didn't come back on board as a viewer until 2013ish, around the time the Maguires arrive. 

No.  For me "Classic Home and Away" ended with the 2004 finale.

2005 to 2008 are kind of "The Middle Years" - you had two years of Dan Bennett and mega-octane drama, then Bevan Lee took it a bit more "old-skool" for the 20th and Sally's exit.  After that though, is what I'd call "New Home and Away."

In many ways it's gone through the same sort of revolution Emmerdale did between its 20th and 25th anniversary.  By 1997 it was a completely different show to what it was in 1992.

Archived