The 'Mother and Son' connection

FlossAndNeville

So, Mother and Son  has been a staple of my television viewing for as long as I can remember, one of my favourite shows and one of the few times (with Frontline and maybe Kath & Kim) that Australia successfully pulled off a sitcom. As I've got older, I've realised that there was quite an impressive line-up of guest cast on the show, with some quite notable Australian actors featured.

This then snowballed to me making a mental list of H&A cast who've been featured on it. These ones come to mind immediately. Is anyone familiar with any others?

• Ray Meagher (Alf): Played one of Arthur's friends in the episode The Card Game. Was a divorced father who was spending the night phoning his 11 year-old son who was left home alone for the night.
  • Frank Lloyd (Neville): A priest in the episode The Sign, when Maggie was going out of her way to do saintly favours for churches in order to score points with the man upstairs
  • Peter Collingwood (Bert, Pippa's father): A bank manager in the episode The Money, with whom Maggie had to negotiate a way to cash her many unbanked pension cheques
  • Ron Haddrick (Gordon Macklin): Claude, Maggie's companion/love interest in the episodes The Accident and The Cruise, woos Maggie to go on a cruise with him
  • Barbara Stephens (Barbara Stewart): The above character's daughter, has to break it to Arthur that her father is a pensioner who can't afford a cruise
  • Tina Bursill (Lois Crawford): One of targets of Robert's infidelity, cuts through the crap when he talks about wanting to 'get to know her'.

Absolutely love this show! 

Although she wasn't an early years cast member, Sonia Todd (Gina Austin) had an early-career role as a police officer in one episode. She returns Maggie's handbag to the house after Maggie is mugged. 

Robert Baxter (Bob Barnett) played a postman in one episode too. I can't remember the episode, but Maggie is already standing out in the street shouting at Arthur as he is driving away when the postman shows up. 

13 hours ago, adam436 said:

Absolutely love this show! 

Although she wasn't an early years cast member, Sonia Todd (Gina Austin) had an early-career role as a police officer in one episode. She returns Maggie's handbag to the house after Maggie is mugged. 

Robert Baxter (Bob Barnett) played a postman in one episode too. I can't remember the episode, but Maggie is already standing out in the street shouting at Arthur as he is driving away when the postman shows up. 

Ah, of course! I remember having the "Ah, it's Bob Barnett!" moment as a kid

Archived