2021 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

I think, for the most part, Dean has been pretty relaxed around Bella, which is why I indicated that I hoped he'd remain so instead of trying to be a heavy big brother figure.He was the one that chose to move in with her and Colby, and frankly at the moment, if he didn't have her, he wouldn't have anyone.He has spent a lot of time recently getting drunk, having random hook-ups and generally wallowing, mostly over Ziggy, so it is good for him to realise he needs to be a grown-up, for his own sake as much as Bella's.(You can only sofa surf for so long.)I do accept Bella getting a part-time job is worth discussing.

And onto today. And that was probably not the best time for Alf to decide to take his bad mood out on John, with Susie ready and set to act like his personal confidence booster.Marilyn was irritating again, being short with John and shooting him evils all the time.

To be honest, I don't think Justin did anything to make Tori and Christian suspicious on the beach, he seemed to react exactly like anyone would on seeing their sister having a romantic moment with her boyfriend! People were being blatantly cagey around them later though, but it's a shame Tori jumped to the worst conclusion, and a bit odd tonally given the whole thing seemed to be being played for laughs.

Given that it's over a year since Robbo died, Jasmine has been remarkably restrained in soap terms in not moving on yet! I found Lewis a bit intense a while back but he seems to have been okay since then so we'll see.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

I think, for the most part, Dean has been pretty relaxed around Bella, which is why I indicated that I hoped he'd remain so instead of trying to be a heavy big brother figure.He was the one that chose to move in with her and Colby, and frankly at the moment, if he didn't have her, he wouldn't have anyone.He has spent a lot of time recently getting drunk, having random hook-ups and generally wallowing, mostly over Ziggy, so it is good for him to realise he needs to be a grown-up, for his own sake as much as Bella's.(You can only sofa surf for so long.)I do accept Bella getting a part-time job is worth discussing.

I agree he needed something to pull him out of his funk but, he only did all that stuff at Mangrove River. I know its a show and all, but I dont think its fair to try to determine when someone should just "get over" their depression period. Mainly, Im just getting this feeling that Dean is low key turning into the type of character that is making decisions that benefit everyone else but him in the long run 

What exactly is "being a grown up" anyway. Adults still have low points, and lots of them cope the way Dean does.

And I dont get how its such a bad thing for a single person to do that type of stuff, especially since Im under the impression that opinions would be different if it was a female character. There are people in the world who just aren't interested in relationships and prefer to live that way, if in a more regulated manner. I dont recall a rule book saying you have to live a certain way at a certain age.

11 minutes ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Knowing that food costs money, flats come with bills and rent, and you have to work in order to get it.

Okay, then what made you so sure Dean wasnt aware of this. I know they dont always show it, but they did show him at the surf shack doing stuff. Plus they barely show anyone at their job anyway. 

I hope we see Kerain again 

I think John should win over Alf just for something different 

I don't think Justin was acting odd on the beach either just awkward maybe which you might seeing your sister snogging 

Plus the cake scene in the diner wasn't anything that could have given the game away it was like oh the script says silly Tori has to make yet another big drama out of something so here we go again 

Another murder.  He's only been inside for a few weeks.?  Although objectively Dean was right.  The people in jail giving him a hard time are not going to bother Colby now.

Even though Martha was in denial, I wasn't sure about what seemed blind defence.  She didn't want Kieran turning up initially so on some level there's acknowledgement he was going to be a problem.  I do have to admit, I did quite enjoy the scene with Alf/Roo/Kieran and found Alf hilarious although it's a good thing Justin had just finished his training session as who knows what would have happened if he hadn't stepped in.  I thought there was an element of truth to what Kieran said about Roo re Martha though which was why she reacted so badly and also explains the look of disbelief when Martha first told Roo about Kieran's existence.

Quite amusing when John was asking about Kieran, Marilyn said it wasn't their business and advised John not to gossip.  I also quite enjoyed the way she kept looking over at him and Suzy in the Diner.  I quite like Suzy and John together and don't mind her trying to fight his corner but am not sure she should be getting involved in the politics of his work.  Although again, Alf getting annoyed was really funny - "My family, like your Sheila have got nothing to do with this".

11 hours ago, Nephlim14 said:

Okay, then what made you so sure Dean wasnt aware of this. I know they dont always show it, but they did show him at the surf shack doing stuff. Plus they barely show anyone at their job anyway. 

Well,  Dean hasn't ever owned/rented a place before he's just been the lodger for want of a better term. We don't know if he or Willow for that matter contributed to anything like food or utility bills.  Willow had only ever sofa surfed, never had her own place, though she nearly did with Alex but backed out and she is give or take a year the same age as Dean - 26.  I'm  guessing she did contribute some rent when staying at Irene's, she, Irene, would have made sure she did. 

What is this obsession with needing to see people do their job??   You get the same remarks on the English soaps.  We do see Irene, Leah and Marilyn in the Diner, Tori, Christian and Jasmine at the hospital, Ryder and Mac at Salt, Ziggy at the garage  We have to take it as read that Ari is working as a construction worker and Roo is doing whatever it is at SBH.  

Alf's remark to John's about it being none of  his Sheila's business  was very 'old' Alf and would be considered very chauvinistic nowadays.  I'm ready to excuse him for that due to what had happened the day before, he's naturally worried about Martha and what effect Kieran disappearing will do to her.  John was slacking off again due to Susie persuading him, I'm having second thoughts about her btw, and he doesn't need that hassle right now.    Good of Justin to check out how he was and wasn't  about pushy about the whys and wherefores of the argument.   

Let's not forget Marilyn had no idea John has a new lady in his life so of course she'd be interested in her, I found it comical her checking them out, and trying to look unobtrusive and failing. Again John Marilyn is NOT your ex wife, you are still married to her, unless they have had a quickie divorce,  and it is time you introduced the pair to each other.   Susie is getting very pushy in wanting John to go for President of the Surf Club, I don't think it comes with any financial gain, just more work, but maybe she thinks it does.

Strewth something we agree on Bella  getting a part time job!? Nik has one, Ryder did.  It would make her feel more adult and responsible, especially as the flat is now half hers as will be the bills. I'm not sure anyone ever spent that much on food, apart from milk, fridge always looked almost empty apart from cans of beer, they were always going to the Diner for breakfast, ordering takeaways, very rare you saw Colby cooking anything and see it getting eaten.  

It did look like Justin was confiding in Christian as to the real reason for him and Leah acting furtive and it was nothing to do with his tumour returning. 

It is unusual for a soap character to still not be properly over a loved ones death after a year, so it's good it's being done realistically and don't forget Jasmine had abandonment issues which was part her of her struggle to get through losing Robbo, as she felt him dying was a kind of abandonment.  Her doing that running was his way of working through things.  Her talking to Irene helped and though I don't normally like someone saying "so and so would want you to do this/that, not do this/that" as it's a big assumption unless you knew them well.  But in this case Irene did know Robbo and he wouldn't want Jasmine to be alone for the rest of her life, she's still young, late 20's(?).   Jasmine bit the bullet and talked to Lewis who luckily understood as he has been there but a bit longer ago  than she has.  They can just take it as the saying goes 'slowly'.  Hope it works out. 

4 hours ago, H&Alover said:

Strewth something we agree on Bella  getting a part time job!? Nik has one, Ryder did.  It would make her feel more adult and responsible, especially as the flat is now half hers as will be the bills. I'm not sure anyone ever spent that much on food, apart from milk, fridge always looked almost empty apart from cans of beer, they were always going to the Diner for breakfast, ordering takeaways, very rare you saw Colby cooking anything and see it getting eaten.  

Well cops generally don't have time to cook. We never saw the likes of Nick, Joel, Charlie or Kat pick up a pot or pan! 

Archived