2021 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

I'm finding Kieran really interesting, entertaining, intriguing and complex to watch.   Really good Acting from the guy who plays him.

I quite enjoyed his rant tbh, glad there is a character going up against two of the shows eternal goodie two shoes characters (even if he's in the wrong anyway), it makes fun viewing for me.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We know Ari was living with the rest of the family in the city before Mikaere was killed (and Tane was still living there when we first met him) and he, Gemma and Nikau were already in the area when he first appeared (although probably not for long since they hadn't met anyone), so I think that's enough to cover his first year out of prison.Ryder should already be 20, it's well over two years since he turned 18.I got the impression Chloe knew Ari was in jail, and it wasn't entirely clear if Ari told Mia not to visit him as well as Chloe.(Then again, I seem to remember Nikau once saying Ari didn't want anyone to visit him?)

Anyway, looks like Mia's bowed to the inevitable and decided to stop causing a fuss about Chloe staying there, although we've got her presence to cope with as well.Given that the scripts have largely been keeping Mackenzie and Chloe apart, I'm glad they got a bit of interaction here, and maybe a bit more if Chloe's going to be working for her.The cocktail contest didn't seem particularly well thought out, since neither Mackenzie nor Nikau actually tried both cocktails.Bella didn't seem entirely taken with Chloe, I guess she's used to getting all Nikau's attention.

Roo finally applies some brain power to the problem, and then having previously voiced the opinion that telling Alf will just make things worse, she tells him anyway...

And yes, that headline. Believable frustration from Bella that once again, instead of trying to work within the system, Colby just went and killed someone... Have the police really not asked for his uniform back yet?

Chloe must have found out sometime Ari was in prison, I don't think it's been made clear how/when she found out.  It was nice to hear Mac's view on it even if it was entirely different circumstances she had been left by her dad, her actual dad too, when she was younger than Chloe and so could understand Mia's dilemma.   A little more came out with the news Ari was dragged off in handcuffs from Mia's/their house and he was sentenced to 10 years, so  time off for good behaviour as keeps being mentioned he did eight years. Mac has been very patient and understanding, giving Ari the space he needs but letting him know she's there when he needs her. 

Mia doesn't have a choice regarding Chloe staying in the bay, she is as she keeps reminding her an adult.  She's got herself organised by sorting out a job and she's got a place to stay. I'm supposing if Mia stays it'll be at the caravan park?

Chloe and Ryder don't have to do the same shifts and Chloe is a very touchy feely person, charmed Alf into letting Nik have the morning off.  I felt Bella was a bit taken aback by her and she didn't seem that worried and was OK with them going off together.  I take it Chloe has her whatever it is certificate to be able to serve drinks? 

Timely reminder from Dean that he paid for Bella's TAFE course up front when she mentioned dropping out and as he said Colby wouldn't want that either.  He went to a lot of trouble and expense to get her education up to par to be eligible.

For a cop his room was a right mess, must be a bit smelly too those towels, underwear etc have been lying there for a few weeks now and it's Summer time too.  Was that  the landlord Dean was trying to get hold of to sort out the rental agreement from when Colby's time of tenure runs out? 

Colby took Dean's advice about 'doing what he had to' to keep safe inside maybe a bit too far.  Will this mean another trial, certainly, I reckon, mean a move to a different prison. 

Captain Hulk - Colby was a good guy when he joined the force.

Roo asked the one person in the bay who would know what it's like falling off the wagon and the ruses they use to keep it quiet.  That can't have been easy for her to ask Irene those questions. Though it was obviously supposed to look like those bottles were Kieran's they could in theory be anyone's, otherwise add being a litterbug to his list of faults. Confiding in Ryder too is a good idea as he hasn't got any strong ties to Martha and can be more objective.   What is this 'real reason' Martha threw Kieran out/had Kieran had arrested for that we don't know about??  

Let's not forget Colby's origins but at worst he probably involved in petty crime and street brawls before the Nixon stuff.

Alf/Keiran looked like it was gonna get spicy, but Justin stepped into play ref. Ray and Rick play well off each other especially in scene of conflict. 

Maybe Martha is as blind to him as Ailse was to Duncan and Viv was to Scott on ED...

Alf and Roo were kind of banging their heads against a succession of brick walls here.Martha seemed determined to believe Kieran had changed.And someone should have pointed out to Kieran that his mother called the police to get rid of him.Sergeant Cooper makes his second appearance about six months after his first: I guess having Angelo around made him a bit redundant for a while.Even with this evidence, Martha still refuses to face facts and it could be a difficult road getting over this.

Yes to the Ryder and Bella scenes! I'll take them where I can. Shame Ryder got pushed down the pecking order once Dean came back but he took it with good grace.I'm glad we got to see Jasmine's reaction to the news as well.Colby did already have one death on him when he became a police officer, albeit an accidental one.But I suspect Lewis' comment that they'll probably never know the full story of what happened is going to be the last word on the subject.I braced myself when Jasmine went to talk to Dean but she handled it perfectly:No pressure, no attempt to interrogate him about things he didn't know about, she just provided a good sounding board for him to work out he needs to step up and do his best for this makeshift family of his.Making it an equal partnership with Bella is a nice touch, and hopefully signifies that he's not going to try and be Colby this time, he's going to bring himself to the role.(I'm suddenly reminded of Heath stepping up as head of the family when Brax was in jail and deciding to talk to people instead of giving orders.)

Leah and Justin didn't take up much screen time but it was enjoyable all the same.Justin doesn't know when to stop talking sometimes, with his rambling anecdote about Tori's birthday party.

2 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

But I suspect Lewis' comment that they'll probably never know the full story of what happened is going to be the last word on the subject.I braced myself when Jasmine went to talk to Dean but she handled it perfectly:No pressure, no attempt to interrogate him about things he didn't know about, she just provided a good sounding board for him to work out he needs to step up and do his best for this makeshift family of his.Making it an equal partnership with Bella is a nice touch, and hopefully signifies that he's not going to try and be Colby this time, he's going to bring himself to the role.(I'm suddenly reminded of Heath stepping up as head of the family when Brax was in jail and deciding to talk to people instead of giving orders.)

Grrrrr. I hated how much they treated this like its some moment of growth for Dean. From what I recall he's been supporting Bella for a while now. And he doesnt "need" to be the new Colby or whatever. He's only doiing it out of pity for Bella and because otherwise he'd be seen as another deadbeat in her life. 

I really didnt like Dean being pigeon holed into the role, especially since he should be taking time to either deal with his own issues, or settle certaiin things like FINDING HIS SON!!!  (Im only exclaiming out of anger at the plot). Plus, Bellas entitled behavior hasnt helped. It really shouldnt have taken Ryder mentioning it to make her realize that Dean just maybe might need some support as well.

PS. SShe should get a job if theyre gonna lease a house together. 

5 hours ago, Nephlim14 said:

He's only doiing it out of pity for Bella and because otherwise he'd be seen as another deadbeat in her life. 

PS. SShe should get a job if theyre gonna lease a house together. 

Wow, you really don't have a good opinion of Dean, do you? (Or is it that you don't like Bella so you want to pretend that Dean doesn't like her either?) Bella offered to drop out of college and get a job and Dean refused to let her.

I remember what the 'real reason' was now, didn't know it was a secret though.  I liked how Irene gave Roo a discreet ring when Martha came in without letting Martha know anything was amiss. 

I really feel for Martha and can understand her denial about Kieran and his latest behaviour.  As his mum she wanted so badly to believe he had changed, but part of her must have known what Alf and Roo were saying was true, hence her reaction. She did put forward the argument I did about it could have been anyone who had those bottles under his van.  I'm guessing at some point Kieran did attend rehab as part of his sentence.?   I hope Kieran skipping town doesn't set Martha back in anyway.  Kieran was pretty vicious in the way he taunted Roo with the fact Martha stayed with him and didn't abandon him like she had Roo.  First time we saw his real aggressive side and good job Justin was there to stop him. At the end though Martha was forced to accept the truth as Sgt Cooper said Kieran already had arrest warrants out for him, two for domestic assault!  Has he done a proper runner or is he lurking nearby?  Btw Ryder and Kieran hardly had any interaction apart from that one scene at Salt  which was odd seeing as they lived at the same place. 

As an afterthought this does mean Jasmine will need to find a new manager for the gym.?

I loved those scenes between Ryder and Bells, been a while since we've seen any as she has been mostly with Nik.  I see she acknowledged  she can have her moments hence the 'doing a Bella' quips.? Ryder would be the only one who could remind her Dean is struggling too he has known her longer than Nik and knows their history better.  Dean, let's not forget does have a habit of disappearing at times but  I saw he was doing his surfing lessons again and reopened the board shop so is getting his act back together and bringing some money in.    Nicely done there Jasmine, gently nudging Dean in the right direction which he had been thinking about himself anyway.  I'm supposing he's used up all the money Rick left him as otherwise he wouldn't be worried about paying the rent/utility bills etc.  Nice discreet exit by Ryder so Bella and Dean could have their talk, lovely idea by Dean to have the lease in both their names, it's now their home.  I know some disagree with the way Dean is sometimes so blunt with Bella, but at times she does need to hear it straight, she is 18 now so old enough to be able to take it. One point though, If she does want to help, she could get a part time job that wouldn't interfere too much with her TAFE courses. 

I'm in two minds  as to the reasons Lewis is joining NDH  full time, and as Jas' boss, he claimed to Jas he was ready to let what he believes Christian did or didn't do to Anna go, but is he?  Jasmine was OK with Irene's light teasing about her and Lewis flirting but when they were on the pier she definitely panicked when it seemed there could have been a moment. 

Nice idea to throw an engagement party for Christian and Tori as long as Leah & Justin don't go too OTT. 

6 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Wow, you really don't have a good opinion of Dean, do you? (Or is it that you don't like Bella so you want to pretend that Dean doesn't like her either?) Bella offered to drop out of college and get a job and Dean refused to let her.

On the contrary. From what I understand, Deans main character trait is loyalty. But as admirable as it is, I think it can be his biggest detriment. From what ive seen, he lets people take advantage of this or let it blind him to situations that arent good for him. Bella is 18, constantly boasts of wanting to be treated like an adult and apparently has family she hasnt even talked to yet. Bella needs to stop hiding behind a victim status and learn to cope on her own. And I dont think it would hurt if Dean had chosen to focus on himself for once.

Im sure if Bella had proposed a Part time for after class, Dean wouldve been more open to it.

56 minutes ago, H&Alover said:

Dean, let's not forget does have a habit of disappearing at times but  I saw he was doing his surfing lessons again and reopened the board shop so is getting his act back together and bringing some money in.    Nicely done there Jasmine, gently nudging Dean in the right direction which he had been thinking about himself anyway.  I'm supposing he's used up all the money Rick left him as otherwise he wouldn't be worried about paying the rent/utility bills etc.  Nice discreet exit by Ryder so Bella and Dean could have their talk, lovely idea by Dean to have the lease in both their names, it's now their home.  I know some disagree with the way Dean is sometimes so blunt with Bella, but at times she does need to hear it straight, she is 18 now so old enough to be able to take it. One point though, If she does want to help, she could get a part time job that wouldn't interfere too much with her TAFE courses. 

"Right Direction" is debatable.

Dean went back to the shop for a while now. They just didnt show it.

Every time IVE seen him disappear, its because he was dealing with something heavy and needed to blow off steam. And it was a much better idea to leave town for a while instead of sticking around and risk burning all his bridges. 

II never disagreed with how Dean was blunt with Bella. From what Ive read, he was always the one in the house that did this, especially when she's being bratty.

Archived