2021 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

It kind of felt like everything was nicely intertwined there. Ziggy doesn't seem to be quite ready to give up on her friendship with Mac, but got short shrift here so threw herself into helping Ryder and Chloe in order to pay her back.I thought they looked underwhelmed at the van at first, but given how enthusiastically they then responded, I guess they were just confused.

Dean tried his best not to lose his temper with Mackenzie but she seemed determined to make sure he did.Ironically though, Mackenzie was the one to get Jasmine out of her funk by pointing out she does have something good in her life after all.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, H&Alover said:

As everyone in the bay has discovered before now you can't avoid seeing someone you don't want to, it's too small a place.  Mac wasn't at the Diner but living upstairs and not going out anywhere so no danger of anyone seeing her.

Ziggy didn't know that Mackenzie wasn't going anywhere.   She was shocked that she was trying to avoid Mackenzie, she went to the Diner because she thought she would run into Mackenzie at Salt and Irene told her Mackenzie was staying with Dean upstairs.

I forgot to mention that I think John was relieved when Stephen told him nothing happened with Susie.  I got the impression he was jealous at the possibility of her being with someone else.  I guess in one way, in his own mind that keeps open the slim chance her feelings towards him may have been genuine.

Good to see Irene continue to call out Marilyn's Tarot nonsense.

I can't say for sure whether Mia actually wants to have this baby.  She gave an excuse to Ari about not letting Jasmine down and it seemed like she wasn't ready but when she spoke to Jasmine at the hospital she was talking about getting other people in almost as a way to prepare for her absence.

I did have a wry smile when Mackenzie was looking at that guy with a semi predatory look at Salt.  Dean looked a little disgusted when he came out of her room and she got his name wrong.  Unfortunately, as much as I'm on her side she's starting to come across as unpleasant.  There was the mocking of Ryder when he was working at the Bait shop - I think it's his own fault he's in this situation and I don't think Chloe's a good influence but there was no reason to rub Salt in the wound (No pun intended).  Then there was how she was towards Ziggy.  Ziggy was genuinely concerned for her (despite Mackenzie trying to crack onto Tane), asking about her hand and how she was.  I can understand Mackenzie not wanting to talk to her but telling Ziggy to get help when Ziggy was worried about her in spite of everything was out of line.  And there's the general way she is with Dean, being OK one minute then effectively using him as an emotional punch bag the next.  I'm all for her directing her anger towards Ari and Mia but not people that don't deserve it.

Ziggy didn't deserve Mac's response to her asking after her, was it guilt on Mac's part that made her act like that?  Mac had cheered herself up the night before by asking that random guy back to hers/Dean's.?  Not the wisest thing to do maybe, he could have been anyone,  but Dean kept quiet, she is an adult after all. Mac finally got round to ask how Dean got on with his solicitor.

Chloe and Ryder have got themselves a theme for their food truck and Ziggy didn't let them down by providing one.  It was a rust bucket on wheels so no wonder they looked a bit  aghast when they first saw it.  What made me laugh was the music it was playing seeing that Ryder and Chloe are planning to sell Mexican food.?  Very generous of Ziggy to waive any payment until Chloe and Ryder start making money from it, I guess it's going to be garaged at the Farm. 

Now Mac has gone how is Ziggy affording to pay rent, utility bills on the place on just her wage?  That problem, though could be solved if she takes up Tane's offer, though at the moment he doesn't have a job, it did come out of the blue so understandable she was taken aback, but not the reaction he was perhaps hoping for.   It is pretty crowded at the Parata's - Ari, Tane, Nik, Chloe and Mia, Bella a lot of the time, will Ryder also be spending the odd night(?), though he is getting way, way ahead of himself including Ari and Mia's baby. 

Good news that Ari has been passed fit for duty, though it has put Tane out of work.  Not really any of his business but I can see why Tane is concerned, he saw what happened last time with the miscarriages and Cody dying.  But both Mia and Ari are different people now, older and hopefully wiser, they just need to get the right advice and care that maybe they didn't before. 

Jasmine is good at helping others but neglects herself so you go for those nursing posts, whichever one appeals more.?  Wasn't one of those Lewis' job?  Irene had a hand in it too.  Liked the exchange between Irene and Marilyn about Tarot reading and Irene 'predicting' the meal would be going to table 8. 

22 minutes ago, Slade said:

I did have a wry smile when Mackenzie was looking at that guy with a semi predatory look at Salt.  Dean looked a little disgusted when he came out of her room and she got his name wrong.   And there's the general way she is with Dean, being OK one minute then effectively using him as an emotional punch bag the next.  I'm all for her directing her anger towards Ari and Mia but not people that don't deserve it.

I wouldn't say it was disgust on Dean's face, more shock, she is as I have said an adult but maybe a touch of double standards.  He can pick up random women, which he did last time he disappeared but Mac can't  pick up a bloke because she's a woman - and his sister to boot. 

There is the old saying of "You always hurt the ones you love" and as Ari and Mia aren't to hand for her to vent her feelings on it falls to Dean to get get it in the neck. He's lashed out enough times when he's been in his own dark places. 

2 hours ago, H&Alover said:

I wouldn't say it was disgust on Dean's face, more shock, she is as I have said an adult but maybe a touch of double standards.  He can pick up random women, which he did last time he disappeared but Mac can't  pick up a bloke because she's a woman - and his sister to boot. 

There is the old saying of "You always hurt the ones you love" and as Ari and Mia aren't to hand for her to vent her feelings on it falls to Dean to get get it in the neck. He's lashed out enough times when he's been in his own dark places. 

If there were any double standards it would be on Mac's part. She's probably given Dean flack for sleeping around so many times and yet here she with randoms, plus all the mess she pulled with Ari and Tane. And I think its ridiculous how Dean keeps getting accused of judging her every time he calls her on her BS. 

I must have missed the moments when he lashed out. I assumed he was a brawler type because (I assume) brawlings are par for the course with River Boys, but I always figured his pattern was just getting drunk and one night stands.

A rather Parata-heavy episode.It worked with regards continuing to show the bond between Ari and Tane, although I'm not quite convinced by the way Ziggy and Mia have become instant besties just because they're dating a pair of brothers.Whether that'll continue to be the case now that Tane's apparently moving out is unclear.

Meanwhile, we have Bella and Nikau being increasingly swallowed up by the modelling world.Alf's been fairly supportive of Nikau up to now, but I'm not sure how long he'll put up with him cancelling shifts at the last minute.Emmett continues to seem as though he's cut from a different cloth to Sienna, seeming unhappy with her steamrolling everyone: It was smart to let us see them more or less on their own so we know it's not an act.Allegra seems to be between the two of them, not entirely keen on Sienna calling the shots but more willing to go along with her.

On 18/06/2021 at 16:40, Nephlim14 said:

If there were any double standards it would be on Mac's part. She's probably given Dean flack for sleeping around so many times and yet here she with randoms, plus all the mess she pulled with Ari and Tane. And I think its ridiculous how Dean keeps getting accused of judging her every time he calls her on her BS. 

I must have missed the moments when he lashed out. I assumed he was a brawler type because (I assume) brawlings are par for the course with River Boys, but I always figured his pattern was just getting drunk and one night stands.

One random.   

I was referring to Dean lashing out verbally.

I liked that scene between Ari and Tane, being boring, as I've mentioned it before, but they've come along way since Tane first showed up in the bay and it's lovely to such a strong bond between them.  Happens like that sometimes two women meet, going out with brothers or not, and just click.   The only problem comes if one couple break up and one of the other couple may feel compelled to take sides. Mia did impart the knowledge  Tane must be serious if he was suggesting moving in and what did Ziggy have to lose really, if it doesn't work out, it doesn't.  I was trying to think if Dean moved in with Ziggy at all, I remember she moved into Dean's/Colby's and Bella's for a while.  But she's bitten the bullet and agreed he can.   Anyways Ari and Mai have gone easy rider, so will Tane hang on until they get back, it'd mean leaving Chloe, Nik and Bella on their own.  Yes, I  know they are adults so perfectly capable of looking after themselves, but a bit cavalier in the looking after the place, remember to cook for themselves.  Likely to raid the fridge and forget to fill it up again. 

Nik did pass his Bait Shop duties onto Ryder which he accepted and he's the one who's decided to shirk them.  Nik did apologise to Alf and Sienna didn't give him much of choice when she told him him about the shoot, another clause in the small print of the contract.  I'm still liking Emmett and the way he went and chatted to Bella when he saw she was being somewhat side-lined by Sienna and Allegra.   Gave positive criticism about her  early landscape photos. Sienna has her own plans regarding Allegra and Nik, wanting them to be The Couple,  she has some hold over Allegra who isn't that on board about it, but feels obliged to do what Sienna orders he to do.  Did giggle when Bella said they would be walking to  Salt and Sienna had to cover her look of horror.?  Guess Mac wasn't working as Nik may not have been that welcome being a Parata. 

On 18/06/2021 at 13:53, H&Alover said:

Don't think Dean took exception to Mackenzie's one night stand because she's a woman.

Nikau asked Alf not to find a replacement in that episode but at the moment he's being just as unreliable as he was when first started working at the Bait shop and if things don't improve Alf should think about getting someone more reliable in.

I don't think Ziggy should be living with Tane right now.  It's too fast and she had a valid point re her other relationships.  I think she should wait but she feels under pressure so will probably cave.

I wouldn't be happy if someone just turned up at my home unannounced like Sienna and Emmett did although I did like her remark about the good Parata genes.

I agree about the focus of the episode on the Paratas and they seem to be taking over the show.

Alf's episode count this block:Two.

I am finding the peripheral figures in this modelling story kind of interesting.Much like Emmett, Allegra doesn't seem entirely happy with Sienna's way of working, but for all her sarcasm, she seems to be cowed enough to just go along with it.Sienna seems to have put herself in a bit of a Catch-22 situation where Bella's concerned: She's using the fact that it's helping Bella's career to get Nikau to co-operate, but at the same time she wants Bella out of the way so she can brand Nikau the way she wants.

Things fell into Ryder and Chloe's laps a bit too neatly here: They make a token effort to save up the money themselves, then Alf, Roo and Marilyn hand them a big bag of gold. It's only a week or two since Alf pointed to a lack of clear business plan, and only a month or two since he didn't have enough money to help the surf club out!

Is Justin triple dosing now? Not only is he taking his secret pills but the regular ones on top of them.I was expecting him to be ill again but there seemed to be barely any ill effects.

Archived