2021 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

22 hours ago, Lila_Q said:

Cast/ crew were not Covid tested. It was stated in few articles that everybody had their body temperature checked on arrival, but tests were not done. 

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/home-and-away/a36019488/home-and-away-lynne-mcgranger-social-distancing/

Hmm, well, that article doesn't actually mention Covid tests and most of the comments seem to be in the past tense. But whatever they're doing, it seems to be working: They've been making the show without strict social distancing for a year or more now, and there don't appear to have been any outbreaks.

Alf's episode count this block:Three.

While I wouldn't go so far as to call Lewis a good man, I do think he'd convinced himself that anyone that Christian operated on was going to die, and by "helping them along" he was making sure Christian would be exposed and wouldn't be able to kill anyone else. Anyway, I'm glad that Christian smoothed things over between Tori and Jasmine, although we're possibly a way off them being as close as they were.Not that that's done much to help Tori's post-traumatic stress.Maybe Christian's idea will work.

(It kind of feels like every single promo shows the last scene of the next episode: Usually not the actual last shot, but enough for us to know more or less how the episode ends and spend 20+ minutes waiting for something we've already seen...)

Nikau met the modelling agency representative. Who turned out to have the same name as a famously manipulative quasi-psychopath from Hollyoaks. Whether this is significant or another weird coincidence like HA having characters called Grant Mitchell and Martin "Ash" Ashford remains to be seen. Nikau was right to put her offer to Bella before making a decision, and Bella was right that he should do what was best for himself...but her obvious interest in the offer clearly tipped him in that direction.Time will tell whether one or both of them regrets it.

So many people were calling Mia "perfect" in this episode that if she wasn't a regular I'd be convinced she was going to turn out to be a psychopath, but I guess the show was trying to make us think "Irene likes her so I'll like her too".

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Hmm, well, that article doesn't actually mention Covid tests and most of the comments seem to be in the past tense. But whatever they're doing, it seems to be working: They've been making the show without strict social distancing for a year or more now, and there don't appear to have been any outbreaks.

Off the topic. As far as I know in Australia Covid tests are not done at the workplace, you have to go to the clinic. Also, I haven't heard that anyone was tested daily (even people working at the hospitals or aged care, they also only have their temperature checked). H&A has been criticized a lot for having cast hugging and kissing, but considering they haven't changed a way of doing things even after criticism means they're not breaking the law. As you said whatever they're doing it's working. 

Well at least there was some acknowledgment from Tori of something.  Just a shame it wasn't about her decision to allow Lewis in that department with Christian.  I wonder if the way Tori's acting has anything to do with Mason's death.

So Jasmine is a newest member of the Mia fan club.  We have Mia copping off with her boyfriend at work, Jasmine not only dismisses it but talks about how wonderful it is to have someone as experienced as her then later on when she sees them copping of again, mentions what a cute couple they are and that Mia's perfect.  Oh and Irene who is already a member knows a good worker when she sees one because she had the foresight to fight her corner during the interview.

I hope they aren't building Ari and Mia up to be this big power couple, especially given some of their scenes.  Kinda of a shame because when he's not in scenes with her I don't mind him i.e. the way he was at the restaurant to support Nikau, Sienna was trying to charm them and he wasn't having any of it.

Lewis wasn't a bad man, well he didn't start off as one and we have seen plenty of real bad men - and women - over the years to be able to tell the difference.   He genuinely thought he was doing the right thing although his method was twisted, killing patients to protect others, he does need professional help, which he should have got when it happened, but I've been there with that suggestion. As a twist dare I put forward  the idea  Tori and Christian need to see a counsellor, both have been through a traumatic ordeal, doesn't have to be long term and Tori was all for Jasmine getting help not that long ago.  Glad Christian's idea worked, no way could Jasmine have foreseen Lewis was capable of what he did and what he tried to do. Tori did accept she was also to blame, even Christian admitted he was partly to blame for not seeing the signs.  I do have a niggle with him though, Irene gives a coffee 'on the house' and he walks off and leaves it!   

Anyone else see echoes of Olivia and her experience and Nik joining the model agency?  Of course the rep had to have a name like Sienna!   Ari was very supportive of Nik becoming a model and I'm glad he gate crashed the interview and wanted to look over the contract before letting Nik sign anything, it's those hidden clauses you have to watch for.  Although Bella insisted it had to be what Nik wanted to do, she was tempted by the offer of the internship with that professional photographer which Nik has said is part of the deal of him signing.  but what if Nik is found not to be the type of model these folk are looking for, would that mean Bella loses out? 

On 31/05/2021 at 15:44, Lila_Q said:

Off the topic. As far as I know in Australia Covid tests are not done at the workplace, you have to go to the clinic. Also, I haven't heard that anyone was tested daily (even people working at the hospitals or aged care, they also only have their temperature checked). 

Okay, thanks for the info. We had daily temperature checks at my workplace and still had to close down for 10 days after a quarter of the staff turned out to have Covid! Since then, people have been tested twice a week on site. But maybe that's a sign that Australia's controlled things better than the UK has.

Anyway...While there's inevitably a corporate vibe about Sienna (has a go-getting agent ever not turned out to be more trouble than they're worth?), I found myself quite liking Emmett, who does seem to genuinely like his job and the people he works with.Nikau looked like a complete fish out of water among the modelling world, but Bella was quite confident and take-charge.She probably wouldn't have been like that not so long ago, so it's good she's got a bit of confidence.

Christian was in danger of turning into a groomzilla, but got pulled up short by his flashbacks to his brush with death.I dunno, I guess it could bring someone up short if they understand the science more than I do, but I think I'd be happy just to let it go.

I liked Emmett too,  he seemed a lot more down to earth, he is a professional unlike Sienna who just does her  job and can be easily replaced.  Bitchy moi?  Bella came over all embarrassed when she found she had been causally chatting to.  He reminded me, for a reason, of Liam Murphy, quite laid back, very into his work and not bothered about the politics or machinations of the fashion world, just wanted to make his ladies and gents look good.  Obligatory snooty receptionist of course, looking down her nose at Nik and Bella.  Nik looked like  a rabbit caught in the headlights, poor guy.  The photos Bella had taken of him were casual and fun, these are posed and so not him no wonder he was so uncomfortable, especially when they were slapping make up on him.  There must he plenty or guys like him who are very photogenic but not model material equally as there are plenty of guys are just as photogenic and model material but haven't been as lucky to be picked up by an agency.  Is there a clause in the contract that allows Nik to change his mind, that won't affect Bella's internship? 

Brief mention of Martha and that she is doing well.

Quite sweet really seeing Christian so excited about the wedding and his blabbing about the date and Tori swearing Roo, Irene and Marilyn to secrecy until they had told Justin and Leah.  Then it all came crashing down when he had his flashback, has to be rare for someone to get an audio out of body  experience.  I don't think he should ignore it though, could happen at anytime, like during an op, then he really could kill someone.  He needs to see someone soon. 

The Bay News really loves it lurid headlines doesn't it?  I suppose it was a given Jasmine would go, she's that type of person and she was beginning to have some deep feelings for Lewis. 

We never saw Grace while Ari was looking after her, but he appeared to have done a good job.  I guess he would have looked after Nik when he was a baby, but we did find out he knew Chloe when she was a lot younger than we may have thought.  I was under the impression she was about four or five but he mentioned she was in nappies when he and Mia first got together so they were a couple for a lot longer than was implied.  Brought back poignant memories of Cody for him and Mia.

On 01/06/2021 at 15:31, H&Alover said:

Lewis wasn't a bad man, well he didn't start off as one

So by that statement, you acknowledge he's 'bad' by saying he wasn't bad before.

On 01/06/2021 at 15:31, H&Alover said:

He genuinely thought he was doing the right thing although his method was twisted, killing patients to protect others, he does need professional help, which he should have got when it happened, but I've been there with that suggestion.

Thing is, people that are 'bad' often believe they are doing the right thing, regardless of what they are actually doing.  Some people thought Colby was bad and he thought he was doing the right thing when he killed Ross.  People thought Pirovic was bad and he thought he did the right thing when he killed Charlie/Casey.  Some people thought Andy was bad and he thought he did the right thing cutting off Pirovic's life support etc.  And I think saying that person needs help, whilst in some cases may be true is often a very convenient way of absolving them of responsibility.  Even putting Christian aside, whilst he confessed to the murders, to me Lewis showed very little empathy towards the victims or their families.  They were seen as collateral damage in order to stop Christian.  He has free will.  Nobody forced him to do those things and he didn't seem particularly twisted when he was looking out for Colby shortly after Colby was incarcerated.

Tori was a lot better in that episode.  I much prefer her when she's happy and joking that being self-righteous.

Whilst I understand he's been semi-roped into it, Nikau still got on my nerves a bit the way he was acting during the photoshoot.  The cynic in me wonders whether the whole modelling thing is partly because Sienna fancies him and not necessarily because he's a 'talent'.

Ari seems to be a very happy bunny at the moment.  He and Mia talking about what might have been makes me wonder if he will want to consider trying again for another kid, especially given that he was happy to babysit Grace.

Given Ari mentioned Chloe climbing up into his lap when they first met, she must have been a toddler at least.

I continued to be impressed with Emmett and notice the contrast between him and Sienna, who was obviously aghast at the idea of Bella directing the photo-shoot, but Emmett knew what he was doing, and to give her credit Sienna did recognise that.It's hard to tell if Nikau's actually starting to enjoy himself or still mainly doing this for Bella's benefit. Ryder and Chloe enjoying their "freedom" while Roo was left doing all the work was hard to like. At least they seem to have bucked their ideas up by the end, although the promo suggests that's not going to go too well...

Leah was right to tell the doctor about Justin's misuse of his medication and it's worrying he still wants to hide it.Nice references to Brody and Raffy, any chance of seeing them at the wedding..? It seems Tori actually doesn't have a problem with Jasmine anymore, which is good. Roo pushing for Marilyn to give Jasmine a tarot reading felt contrived and ended up backfiring big time.

Depends on your definition of bad.  Piroivc was a career criminal as were the guys behind the drug cartel that ultimately  killed Robbo so definitely bad, their ability to tell right from wrong was lost long ago and they didn't care who they hurt. Colby had been a mostly good cop, until he came across Ross again, if he hadn't come back into his and Bella's life maybe he'd still be a good cop.

Lewis had been, from what Jasmine said a hard working and caring nurse, your average guy with a loving wife and who he adored and a baby on the way.  Then suddenly it's all gone and for some reason Lewis believed and really believed  it was down to Christian and what he did or didn't do.  He raised a complaint at the time which wasn't upheld.  He has held onto this resentment for the past two years until suddenly in this little coastal town he runs into the man who 'killed' his wife and unborn child.  I'm not excusing him for killing those patients  but he wasn't in his right mind, he was on a quest  or that is how he saw it.  In Lewis' case it is not an convenient way of absolving him of his crimes, he's only just, if what Jasmine said about the way he looked in court was true, realised fully and acknowledged what he had done.  An old saying but "there but for the grace of God, go I"   No-one can say what a trauma like he went through can do to anyone. He was looking out for Colby in his job as prison nurse  before starting work at NDH and hadn't run into Christian at that stage so hadn't had old memories revived. 

I was obviously putting years on Chloe as to when she and Ari met, thought, wrongly, she may have been four or five. 

Appears Nikau does have what it takes, an interest has been expressed already. Good to see the light hearted teasing between Nik, Bella, Chloe and Ryder. As long as he stays grounded, being a model won't go to his head, I take it Uncle Tane doesn't know yet and what about Gemma?

Going by her behaviour regarding working for a living when she first came it was refreshing that it was Chloe reminding Ryder that they are going to need money soon so better get some work from somewhere.  Mac goes into full meltdown from what we saw. 

Btw does Roo know what Nik is in the city for and that Alf may need to find a new assistant?

Although she was coming across as ultra bossy again Leah was right to tell Justin's doctor about the amount he was od'ing.  But fair enough keep it from Tori for now, bad enough he has Leah on his case, he doesn't need Tori too.  

Tori still seems sceptical of Christian's out of body experience but Jasmine came across as more open and he did have another 'moment'  It was him confiding in her that prompted her speaking to Roo and Marilyn and the reading, Roo making a joke out of it didn't help at all. 

Will 'we' all be going up to Brody's place?  Cripes and the first since they've been gone that we've heard Simone's name.  It was a given  I guess Tori would want Leah as Maid of Honour, will Christian ask Justin to be his best man or does he have a friend from before he came to the bay he could ask. 

I guess I have to give Chloe points for finally feeling some empathy for Mackenzie, although charging in like she did was only ever going to be a red rag to a bull. Ryder was floundering anyway, and if he does insist on staying quit unless Chloe's rehired...well, then I guess he's staying quit, which seems a rather foolish decision. What are they going to do now then? I would kind of have been on board with Mackenzie giving Ari a serve, since he seems to have dumped her and barely looked back, not really giving her a chance to have her say, but throwing herself at Tane was about the worst thing she could have done.

Er...how's Jasmine suddenly everyone's best friend? I don't remember her hanging out with Ziggy or Mackenzie much in the past. Ziggy didn't really take the advice to heart: She figures out Tane isn't keen on her hanging around Dean all the time, then she's back there by the end of the episode.I rolled my eyes a bit at Irene having a go at Marilyn: Yes, Marilyn could have cut to the chase sooner, but she might have got there if Irene hadn't cut her off before she got to the important part.

Archived