2021 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, H&Alover said:

her telling him was better than him storming down to the hospital and kicking up a fuss when Mac needed peace and quiet.

Except that's basically what he did!

Lewis is now completely deranged.His determination to blame Christian for his family's death has completely consumed him to the point that he won't listen to reason or even take responsibility for his own actions.But for all the sinister music, it doesn't really feel like there's any tension over whether Christian will survive or not, and it's frustrating that the show keeps raising questions and not answering them.If these deaths aren't down to Christian's negligence, what are they down to? Was it okay for Christian to leave the hospital after the operation or not? I am enjoying Tori and Jasmine as girl detectives, although they're taking their time!

Nikau had good reason to be upset at Bella's actions: It was an invasion of privacy and done without his consent.So, while I understand him being protective of Bella, I wasn't happy that Dean was so dismissive of Nikau's feelings or that the episode made out that Nikau was wrong. I mean, sure, having Bella withdraw the entry may have been a bit too far, but Nikau backtracked too much by making out she's wonderful and amazing and hasn't done anything wrong. Also...she sleeps with black nail polish on?

That was a very badly timed comment from Alf that has sent Leah screaming over the edge.I did enjoy Dean's little chats with Alf and (by phone) Roo, especially Alf pausing and asking him if he actually had Roo's number and Dean's blatant lie that he was writing Roo's orders down.

But he didn't kick up a fuss, he was very quite, he didn't go in there ranting and raving. He waited until Tori had finished then asked if it was OK to see her. 

Definitely shades of Holby City, deserted ward, right machines handily left there for Cameron - sorry Lewis to use. I think we did see Christian go back on his notes for the op on Anna and it seemed all was OK with it so he felt there was no need for him to stay.  His staff would have been there for any aftercare.  Tragically things may go absolutely as they should in an op, but then for no reason things go bad, no-one's fault, nothing anyone did or didn't do.   Lewis is a nurse so if wearing his nurses' head would know and understand that but he was wearing his husband and soon to be father's head.  Would Christian staying behind have made any difference, could he have operated on her again and saved her - it's one of those imponderable questions.   Say he did and she and the baby still died.  Surgeons lose patients, either on the table or after and as I said before some deaths aren't anyone's  fault. 

Nothing came out of Jas and Tori's visit to Lewis' home so they likely didn't see inside - still like my theory as to what it is like.    If Christian got a 'call' from the hospital, I'm kind of guessing it wasn't made by Lewis, did he get someone else to make it?  And when Christian got there how did he get lured to that part of the hospital? Even Christian asking Lewis to think of Jasmine, only gave his  a very brief pause for thought. Got to crank up the tension Red!

Whatever the rights and wrongs of that photo and Bella did apologise it was an amazing photo whoever took it.  Why shouldn't Bella be wearing black or any other colour nail polish in bed, you don't expect her to clean it off every night do you? 

Dean is finding out what a lot of the townsfolk already know Roo is a force to be reckoned with once she gets going.  Brave guy. 

You can't really blame the cops for not being able to find 'Susie'.  She's likely to have been at this for years would be pretty adept at covering her tracks.  I was going to mention they must have got her prints and DNA from John's but if she has never been charged with anything they won't be on record. Where's Rosetta when you need him? 

The abortion storyline has irritated me, of course we aren't allowed to discuss such matters as we are all forced to support such things in the 21st century. The roll Ziggy has played in it has annoyed me the most saying things like "It has nothing to do with Arri", NONSENSE, it takes two people to cause pregnancy and the man at least deserves to be told what is happening. If a man is the babies father post birth then why shouldn't he be treated like the father in the babies development stage? It seems that the man is only the father when it suits the mother.

Back to Ziggy, I couldn't believe my ears at her ludicrous quote saying that Mak shouldn't feel bad about grieving her miscarriage despite her abortion plans, because it was taken out of her control. So basically in other words she is allowed to grieve because she didn't get the chance to kill it herself? What nonsensical logic.

There are so many hypocrisies and double standards in the abortion argument, for me the biggest one is that father's would be ridiculed and in some cases legally punished if they don't pay child support yet women are glorified for having abortions and would never be called irresponsible for doing so. Essentially the pro choice agenda only applies to women, men don't get to chose if they want to be father's or not, women decide that for men. To make things equal in that scenario men should not be forced to pay child support, he should have his choice.

I have noticed an increase in ultra-feminism in the writing in soap operas particular in Home & Away. The bizarre storyline when Leah got kidnapped by a misogynist and made to do his cooking was actually uncomfortable to watch. Do women really think men like that exist? Yes many of us may not support extreme feminism but we don't kidnap women to do the cooking for us. If the show continues down this line I may have to switch off.

I don't care if you ban me for sharing my opinion, I am just glad to get it off my chest. You can't all live in your echo chambers all the time.

8 hours ago, H&Alover said:

But he didn't kick up a fuss, he was very quite, he didn't go in there ranting and raving.

He went in there squaring up to Tane and demanding to see her.

8 hours ago, marcosb said:

So basically in other words she is allowed to grieve because she didn't get the chance to kill it herself?

At the risk of opening a can of worms given your obviously strong views on the subject, I don't think it's as simple as that.I think even if she had had the abortion, it wouldn't have been as simple as cracking open the champagne.People are allowed to have complex feelings and, even though she had, after a lot of deliberation, come down on the side of thinking it was best to terminate the pregnancy, if she had got that far then she may well have still been upset afterwards, and yes, that is "allowed". Throw in losing the baby in a traumatic and painful way on top of that and I think she's deserving of compassion.

And moving onto the safer topic of psychotic attempted murderers:One thing I probably should have said yesterday: Whatever my misgivings about the way the storyline's been handled, I give full credit to Ditch Davey for his performance, conveying the utter terror of being helpless with a clearly irrational person who can do whatever he likes to you.Anyway, despite a few wrong notes along the way, the show managed to hit the mark at the end here.The moment where Lewis realises Christian's survived and it finally dawns on him that he's destroyed his life and Anna's legacy for nothing, all because he couldn't let go of his unreasoning anger and hatred, was probably the biggest punishment he could receive.Curiously, even though spoiler articles have been insisting for weeks that Lewis has been killing patients, we seem to have reached the end of the storyline without that revelation: Maybe the show thought better of it and didn't tell the publicity people, leaving us with a few unexplained elements and that isolated plot point of him nearly killing Ari.I was not happy with Tori turning on Jasmine: Lewis' actions aren't her fault any more than Susie's actions were John's fault, and if it hadn't been for her being suspicious of Lewis, then they might not have found Christian in time.So hopefully Tori will realise she's being unreasonable very soon.And ironically, we really do seem to have completely flipped from last year, with Justin instantly sympathising with Jasmine.

Elsewhere...some stuff with the Paratas that was reasonably diverting but nothing special.

Over the moon Willow has gone.  Good riddance.  I guess that's another reason to like Alex although it's a shame we didn't get to see her before Willow left.

Chloe and Ryder annoyed me when they gatecrashed Bella and Nikau's weekend getaway.  I thought it was very petty.

I didn't like the way Ari stormed over to the hospital but he handled it a lot better than I thought he would.  He seemed to concentrate more on Mackenzie's feelings and trauma than his own.  And another scenario where I thought he would blame Tane (for keeping it from him) but he didn't.  I do wonder if he wasn't happy with Mia whether he would have reacted differently.

I have to admit, I was still finding the stuff with Lewis and Christian funny.  The scene where he tried to wind Christian up and got in his face after pressing charges when Alf sprayed them was hilarious.  Obviously it ceased to be amusing when Lewis kidnapped and drugged him.  It must have been rough for Jasmine, especially when she froze at the hospital with the realisation that she's been dating someone crazier than she was.  I really didn't like the way Tori told her to stay away from Christian when she tried to help but it really doesn't surprise me.  She will probably exclude Jasmine from Grace's life for a bit but let's face it as I keep saying this is all Tori's fault for allowing Lewis to work there in the first place.  I was also pleased at Lewis's reaction that his plan was thwarted much like when he found out Ari survived.

I really hope they can find Susie so Lustin can at least get some of their money back.  I'm glad they are in a slightly better place than before.  Justin's cynicism is back (Yay!) and I found his attitude towards Leah's obsession with trying to find Susie really funny.

Had this been 1993-4 Alf would have used the high-pressure hose and be yelling more.

I suppose now Lewis will be shipped off to Northern Districts' home for the criminally insane where Keiran is his  cellmate who will offer him crayons or ribena or both...

Carrying on the abortion theme Mac didn't make the decision lightly she thought  long and hard about it and even if she had gone through with it as planned  she wold have grieved after, most women in her position do.

Believe it or not marcosb there are men like the guy who kidnapped Leah out there.  I like to think TPTB behind H&A made sure it was researched properly.  It stemmed from her blog about  domestic violence which prompted his wife to leave him. 

Yes well done Ditch - is that his for real name?  For a guy who is usually in control of things around him to be so helpless this  is going to knock him back a bit.   The actor - Luke Arnold - played Lewis well too.  No sign he was so disturbed when we first met him, just a still grieving widower. 

Tori alone didn't make the decision to employ Lewis and things would have been OK if Lewis hadn't found Christian was working at the same hospital. The man he blamed for his late wife's death and was even more annoyed he didn't remember him. 

I'd like to think and hope it that Tori's reaction to Jasmine by telling her to stay away from Christian was a knee jerk one.  If it hadn't been for Jasmine alerting Tori about her real concerns about Lewis and his behaviour towards Christian neither of them would have gone on the hunt for them.  She didn't let her feelings for Lewis cloud her instincts and make her think " no, I'm imagining  it, he wouldn't hurt Christian".  A natural reaction for Jasmine to freeze like she did.  

I mentioned before about things may have been different if Christian and Lewis hadn't both been working at the same hospital after Lewis hadn't seen Christian for two years, and although TPTB hinted at other deaths, which didn't happen, as an offshoot did Lewis think it was only at ND  Christian was 'killing' patients or at other hospitals since he last met him? 

At least it was resolved fairly quickly though I did have the awful thought Lewis may have harmed himself after seeing the look on Jasmine's face.  He was still trying to explain his actions but Jasmine was very cool and calm under the circumstances and finally made him see he was ruining his memory of Anna by his obsession and need for revenge.  Her texting Tori that he'd handed himself in was very Jas. Christian may get over the physical effects pretty quickly but despite him being  strong guy the mental effects will longer.   So sad when Jasmine was crying on Irene's shoulder, she'd just found someone she felt she could have moved on with and not a newbie but someone she had known years ago and thought she still did. Jasmine may have only lost Robbo last year to Lewis' losing Anna two years ago, but she had adjusted better despite Robbo's death being down to a violent action. 

Now honestly the thought had crossed my mind yesterday when I saw Nik's photo, but now it seems TPTB have about Nik being wanted as a model  thanks to an agency seeing it - and him - at the awards do.  If that is for real Tane and Ari are going to be in hysterics. ?  I hope Bella doesn't think Nik has stolen her thunder.

I liked those scenes between Ari and Mia having their water fight, just because they are adults doesn't mean they always have to act like it.  I wondered why fishing was out but of course it's the muscles he need to be using casting as it would be sea fishing.

When Leah throws herself into something she goes full pelt but she seems to be going off on a tandem by getting waylaid with other scams. 

I'm disappointed we didn't get to see Bella's award ceremony but her carrying the trophy around with her was kind of cute: Unfortunately, all her friends appear to be in different episodes this block, so she's left showing it off to Paratas and Marilyn. Maybe next week.She also took Nikau's modelling offer quite well.I didn't think of Tane keeping Ari's job warm for him but it's a good idea.

John seemed to be in full-on Grumpy John mode during the job interviews, although I guess from the end that that was him trying to take his mind off the house going up for sale.Irene didn't really come off much better, blowing off the rest of the interviews and giving the job to Mia on the basis she's on the main titles, which has seemed inevitable ever since she announced she was a personal trainer.Maybe Irene worked out who she wanted from the CVs and it was just John insisting on interviews.

Archived