Covid 19

Bri1231

I have watched Home and Away from episode one and it still remains my favourite ever tv show. What do you think of the decision not to address covid19 on the show? Basically ever other tv show I watch have addressed this and continue to do so. I read that the producers said " Who wants to see covid on a beach"? Erm, me!! I think a show that wants to remain relevant does. I don't know how it will feel to watch future episodes so disconnected from the current worldwide pandemic. What are your thoughts on this? 

I get why they decided not to write it in, but what's also important to remember is that it's significantly less of a big deal in Australia now.  The country is virtually Covid-free thanks to the strict hotel quarantine regimes (hence Andy Murray's decision to not compete in the Open) and quick decision making on the initial lockdowns.  Likewise, even if it had been able to host an international audience, Australian fans would not be allowed to travel to Holland this year for Eurovision (I've been to the last two and you would not believe how many Aussie fans make the trip!)

Not that I'm envious.

Added to that is the International audience of H&A where episodes will air some time after Australian transmission, so again it might seem at odds with the local situation.

For example on the British soaps where Covid has been written in, because they naturally can't keep up with the ever-changing rules you've got Emmerdale, Weatherfield and Albert Square all in very different lockdown scenarios to real life!  There's also massive restrictions on the actors in the UK compared to the full-on snogging, heavy petting and hugging allowed down under, so again it's easy to pretend Summer Bay is a Covid-free bubble...

On 13/02/2021 at 03:03, Bri1231 said:

I have watched Home and Away from episode one and it still remains my favourite ever tv show. What do you think of the decision not to address covid19 on the show? Basically ever other tv show I watch have addressed this and continue to do so. I read that the producers said " Who wants to see covid on a beach"? Erm, me!! I think a show that wants to remain relevant does. I don't know how it will feel to watch future episodes so disconnected from the current worldwide pandemic. What are your thoughts on this? 

I'm quite happy to have 20 minutes Covid free TV. Even though Australia is doing better than other countries, it's still everywhere all the time. I'm glad the producers have decided not to do it. 

It helps that social distancing in Australia doesn't need to be like it is here in UK. Watching home and away now, you would never know it was filmed in 2020. So it's really easy to just keep it covid free. 

If like our soaps, they'd all be forced to stand 2m apart and not touch anything they would have no choice but to write it in someway.

I'm so glad it's not part of summer bay life. Such escapism and that's why we love the show!

I'm in two minds about this.

If Home and Away wants to be as realistic as possible, it would have made sense to acknowledge the existence of the pandemic without letting it dominate the show. As others have noted, Australia has avoided the brunt of the pandemic (barring Victoria to an extent) so daily life is largely normal.

In contrast, the saturation of COVID into our daily lives whether it be in the way it's impacted our lives directly or listening to the media every day, it's refreshing to be able to watch the show without being reminded of the crisis the world has been facing in the past 12 months.

Archived