Why didn’t Ailsa take Bobby in before Tom and Pippa?.

j.laur5

On 04/11/2020 at 09:47, j.laur5 said:

I get for obvious plot reasons in Pilot. 

But always wonder why Alisa never asked Bobby to move in with her as Alisa had 2 bedrooms  in her flat behind her general shop.

Thoughts?. 

Because DoCS would have done a background check and her real identity/criminal record would have come out.

On 11/11/2020 at 19:26, c120701 said:

Because DoCS would have done a background check and her real identity/criminal record would have come out.

I don't think the poster means officially fostering Bobby through DOCS channels, rather just Ailsa taking her in and letting her live with her (there were plenty of bedrooms in that general store flat as we found out later on). Bobby was living independently anyway (sleeping in squats etc) so it's not like anything would have had to be done officially.

It's a good question. I can only assume that Ailsa felt it was best not to "push it" with Bobby. Ailsa as a mate, was the one person Bobby could trust and come to for support and advice. Maybe Ailsa felt if she made herself too much of a "mum" (and a landlady too, telling her to clean her room, do her chores etc), Bobby could feel her independence being threatened and end up rejecting Ailsa altogether, losing the one person who was helping her.

It was different with the Fletchers because Bobby could see with her own eyes how they had helped the other kids and she could see the kind of life she could have.

This is a really good question. I also think there are some points to consider

1- Summer Bay is a small town, considering how the town folk felt about Bobby, it wouldve been easy to report Ailsa for taking her in thus potentially resulting in an investigation digging up her past

2- Did Ailsa know Bobby for long? We know that Bobby's grandparents owned the shop and according to Roo they let 2-3 years before the fletchers arrived, so who owned the shop before Ailsa?

3- Considering Bobby had a lot of pride, maybe she turned down living with Ailsa by assuming she could take care of herself, and I can see Ailsa trying not to overstep the boundary

3- Ailsa had a friendship with Donald and I would assume he would be in her ear about not getting too close to Bobby in fear of town folk not patronizing her shop

I've often wondered why Alf didn't take her in after Martha died or at the very least look out for her considering he knew she was his niece. 

4 hours ago, Summer's Bay said:

This is a really good question. I also think there are some points to consider

1- Summer Bay is a small town, considering how the town folk felt about Bobby, it wouldve been easy to report Ailsa for taking her in thus potentially resulting in an investigation digging up her past

2- Did Ailsa know Bobby for long? We know that Bobby's grandparents owned the shop and according to Roo they let 2-3 years before the fletchers arrived, so who owned the shop before Ailsa?

3- Considering Bobby had a lot of pride, maybe she turned down living with Ailsa by assuming she could take care of herself, and I can see Ailsa trying not to overstep the boundary

3- Ailsa had a friendship with Donald and I would assume he would be in her ear about not getting too close to Bobby in fear of town folk not patronizing her shop

I've often wondered why Alf didn't take her in after Martha died or at the very least look out for her considering he knew she was his niece. 

Alf  and Ailsa or Celia  never treated Bobby like their  niece. 

Bobby grandparents were not very good not coming to look after Bobby after her father being sent to jail. 

12 hours ago, j.laur5 said:

Bobby grandparents were not very good not coming to look after Bobby after her father being sent to jail. 

Alf knew who she was, yet didn’t take her in when he found out, or at the very least show some interest after she was left to fend for herself.

12 hours ago, j.laur5 said:

I know...but I’m trying to figure out when Ailsa purchased the shop considering Roo said Bobby’s grandparents sold it 2-3 years before the Fletchers arrived. I don’t believe Ailsa had been in Summer Bay that long. 

On 17/11/2020 at 01:52, Summer's Bay said:

Alf knew who she was, yet didn’t take her in when he found out, or at the very least show some interest after she was left to fend for herself.

Didn't Alf ask Ailsa "to keep an eye on her" because he knew who she was? I suppose the problem was, Alf found out just after Martha's "death" and he had more than enough on his plate dealing with that and Roo going off the rails. 

• Dan F changed the title to Why didn’t Ailsa take Bobby in before Tom and Pippa?.
1 hour ago, adam436 said:

Didn't Alf ask Ailsa "to keep an eye on her" because he knew who she was? I suppose the problem was, Alf found out just after Martha's "death" and he had more than enough on his plate dealing with that and Roo going off the rails. 

Yes, but there was at least a year  where Bobby was on her own prior to Ailsa moving to Summer Bay. Alf would've known. 

I guess his guilt finally kicked in when he went to see Morag about attending Bobby's wedding

11 hours ago, Summer's Bay said:

Yes, but there was at least a year  where Bobby was on her own prior to Ailsa moving to Summer Bay. Alf would've known. 

I guess his guilt finally kicked in when he went to see Morag about attending Bobby's wedding

Yes, he makes some blink-and-miss-it remark along the lines of "I've kept quiet about this long enough" before heading to see Morag. But really, his negligence in the whole thing is severely downplayed. Nonetheless, the way the writers wrote the story, they needed somebody to "be in the know". So whoever that was person, it was always going to seem that they were a bit negligent just by nature of the way the story was panning out and tying in with the backstory.

1 hour ago, Sally Keating said:

Yes, he makes some blink-and-miss-it remark along the lines of "I've kept quiet about this long enough" before heading to see Morag. But really, his negligence in the whole thing is severely downplayed. Nonetheless, the way the writers wrote the story, they needed somebody to "be in the know". So whoever that was person, it was always going to seem that they were a bit negligent just by nature of the way the story was panning out and tying in with the backstory.

Exactly.

I could be wrong but I remember Bobby saying she had to convince Alf that becoming a foster parent was a good idea for her, and I remember thinking, this guy left you on the streets to fend for yourself, why should his opinion matter lol

Bobby was very forgiving, I will say that.

Archived