Non-speaking extras

Martin

I'm not talking here about characters who appear every now and then to do a few episodes (such as Const. Ben Murray) but I'm wondering if any of you are aware of any longterm regular non-speaking extras in Home & Away. I have spotted many in Neighbours over the years and shows like Prisoner and Wentworth have lots of familiar faces walking about in the background who never get the chance to speak.

The only longterm non-speaking extra in Home & Away I recognise is a ginger haired nurse at Northern Districts. I see lots of staff working at Salt but I haven't recognised any as appearing on a regular basis. There are also opportuinities to have regular schoolchildren and teaches at Summer Bay High and even some surfies hanging around the surf club.

Does Home & Away just employ background actors for a few weeks at a time? Many shows use the same ones regularly to give a sense of community and it would be interesting to know if I am just not recognising them or if they do indeed change often as I suspect.

They had plenty of chances to speak, like when Bobby thanks the muted girl who forgot to say "that's alright, have a good day" or the muted old woman in Alf's store that Marilyn greets with an innocent "hello" and she doesn't even say "hi" back.

I swear the cat has got their tongues

There's certainly a couple in the hospital, one of which I presume is the lady you mentioned (who was once named as Isabel). There's also the female police officer who took Leah's statement after the diner robbery who's been around a fair while now (she was given Angelo's old namebadge), and a few others before her.

Lynne McGranger's daughter, Clancy, has been one of the diner waitresses on and off for a few years, though it's been a while since I've seen her.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSu8ZUXhB-9/

There are a few others who come back every so often, you see these 'influencer'/model types posing next to the Seven logo on Instagram every now and again, but I can't say I've particularly noticed them on-screen.

12 hours ago, Old H&A Fan said:

They had plenty of chances to speak, like when Bobby thanks the muted girl who forgot to say "that's alright, have a good day" or the muted old woman in Alf's store that Marilyn greets with an innocent "hello" and she doesn't even say "hi" back.

It is a bit frustrating when you see the extras not replying to a greeting like any normal person, but a single audible word would mean they have to be given a whole different contract (if it's only a line or two then it'll be a '50 worder')

3 hours ago, Chair said:

Apparently Rebecca Cartwright and Tammin Sursok were extras in the background before they got their big break on Home and Away.  I've never managed to spot them in the background.

See the 1993 season finale for a young Bec Cartwright ?

On 28/10/2020 at 07:29, Old H&A Fan said:

Mate, don't you know? If they say more than X amount of words, or any some cases any, The Producers gotta cough up! ?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived