Most Popular Character 2020

Dan F

My thanks to Dan and chair for their work in compiling the votes and to Dan for putting it all together into a web experience, something way beyond my abilities!

Complete list of absentees is there but a few highlights: No Ari or Maggie, both of whom were regulars this year. No Brody or Coco, who only left last year. Among those gone missing since the last poll: No Charlie, no Ricky, no Indi. No Oscar, now officially the forgotten McGuire. No Jack Wilson or Matt Wilson, and no Nicole, I think for the first time since her debut.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always like to analyse the number of points achieved, they reveal more details about the rankings.

For example, there was barely anything between Alf, Irene, Dean and Fisher in 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th place – a range of only 5 points (from 71 to 66). One forum member’s votes could have completely changed the order of those characters or put them all in joint 3rd place.

On the other hand, there was a clear Top 10 of favourites, no one “narrowly missed out” on the Top 10. We had a big jump from Bobby in 11th place on 35 points to Pippa and Ryder in joint 9th on 50 points each.

Morag in 2nd place was only one rank above Alf in 3rd, but she was 26 points above him (97 compared to 71) – that is the same range of points between the characters in 124th place and the characters in 15th place.

So, Morag was the clear runner-up, and Sally was the clear winner. Leah and Marilyn came joint 7th, not too far behind Sally in the rankings, but Sally achieved pretty much double the number of points that Leah or Marilyn achieved (121 compared to their 61).

Archived