The Aus-UK Transmission Gap

Skylover

3 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Neighbours is currently three weeks behind, I'm not sure how they're ever going to catch up since it's now on all year round so there's no break to continue transmitting during anymore.They'd have to show double episodes or something and they apparently don't want to do that.

Online discussion aside I think Home and Away is better served by the way it's scheduled in the UK, rather than having to mirror the erratic Oz broadcasts.

Three weeks is not a lot of time unless you're skint! Better than ¾ of a year like they were Back in the day!

I think it would have to special circumstances for Neighbours to do s Double header like they did with Kate's shooting.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't believe Home and Away did get pulled in Oz, at least not because of the pandemic: It was always planned to go off air for two weeks. I think, perhaps more in the case of Neighbours than HA, Channel 5 jumped the gun and assumed episodes would run out when they didn't.

(I had a thought on this subject: Neighbours might not have a Christmas break any more but Home and Away does.I can see Neighbours taking over the Home and Away slot for a second episode for three weeks at the end of the year to get back in synch.)

20 minutes ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

I don't believe Home and Away did get pulled in Oz, at least not because of the pandemic: It was always planned to go off air for two weeks. I think, perhaps more in the case of Neighbours than HA, Channel 5 jumped the gun and assumed episodes would run out when they didn't.

(I had a thought on this subject: Neighbours might not have a Christmas break any more but Home and Away does.I can see Neighbours taking over the Home and Away slot for a second episode for three weeks at the end of the year to get back in synch.)

The three week break in Oz was a last minute decision as a result of the pandemic - they wanted the slot for extra news coverage. There was an intended two week production break planned over Easter which may be what you're thinking of, but not a transmission break.

There would likely have been a two week break planned for the Olympics in August though.

27 minutes ago, Dan F said:

The three week break in Oz was a last minute decision as a result of the pandemic - they wanted the slot for extra news coverage. There was an intended two week production break planned over Easter which may be what you're thinking of, but not a transmission break.

Ah, okay, I obviously got confused, I thought they needed the slot for another show. Thanks for putting me straight!

I believe the show was due an Olympic break but instead Seven took the two week break for extended coverage of the Pandemic, probably wagering on the fact that the Olympics were, by that point, very unlikely to go ahead anyway.

This does mean, however, that given how far ahead the show works Australian viewers should very soon see an Olympic cliffhanger that isn't...

On 21/07/2020 at 21:13, James Martin said:

I believe the show was due an Olympic break but instead Seven took the two week break for extended coverage of the Pandemic, probably wagering on the fact that the Olympics were, by that point, very unlikely to go ahead anyway.

This does mean, however, that given how far ahead the show works Australian viewers should very soon see an Olympic cliffhanger that isn't...

Spoiler

So I assume this whole Angelo returns and arrests Colby for Ross’s murder will pose as the “Olympic Cliffhanger” ?

Archived