The Aus-UK Transmission Gap

Skylover

Is it just me that finds it annoying there is a 2 month transmission gap between Australian and UK broadcasts? COVID aside, Neighbours has been airing the same day as Australia since 2016, why is it different for Home and Away? I'd be more inclined to watch permanently if the UK weren't disregarded so badly.

It's been mentioned many times. When you grow up watching a show knowing that it's being shown a bit later than in the parent country, it doesn't really bother you. Perhaps in these internet-savvy days people want instant availability, but I still imagine the vast majority of the audience just watch the show without logging on to see what's happening in Australia at the moment. Neighbours is very much the exception rather than the rule: I'm not aware of any other imported show that gets shown the same day in the UK as in the country it originates from.

Until recently, keeping a gap has allowed Channel 5 to broadcast the episodes five days a week in a consistent schedule and in the originally intended blocks, so in a sense we're better off than the haphazard Australian schedule!

I used to like to keep upto date through the Brsxton era because there used to be a lot of spoilers around then it was good to keep up with the finales and big cliffhangers but these days I watch UK pace there's only a couple of characters I like these days But if its a story that grabs me I will catch up 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think part of it is the inconsistent airing of H&A. Neighbours follows the same schedule each week, where as H&A in Aus has double/triple episodes sometimes. If they were to catch up, then I imagine 5 would have to switch to Mon-Thurs and try to fill in breaks in the schedule (since H&A produces less episodes).

Neighbours in the UK is actually behind at the moment for the first time in ages. I think about a month? as they decided to only air on Mondays and Fridays when Covid first started. I'm guessing at some point things will catch up again though.

The only thing that bothers me is how it affects fan engagement/discussions. I feel like if everyone was able to watch H&A at the same pace, then maybe more people would tweet or discussions might be bigger.

Neighbours is currently three weeks behind, I'm not sure how they're ever going to catch up since it's now on all year round so there's no break to continue transmitting during anymore.They'd have to show double episodes or something and they apparently don't want to do that.

Online discussion aside I think Home and Away is better served by the way it's scheduled in the UK, rather than having to mirror the erratic Oz broadcasts.

Archived