History of Summer Bay

Skylover

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The other significant thing I heard recently whilst rewatching old episodes on Amazon Prime was that Bobby Simpson's adopted grandparents ran the local store which they later sold on to Ailsa Hogan when she arrived in the Bay.

Matt Wilson's family also must have lived in the Bay for some considerable time as did the Dibbles as Martin and Lance were supposed to have been lifelong friends.

17 hours ago, Martin said:

The other significant thing I heard recently whilst rewatching old episodes on Amazon Prime was that Bobby Simpson's adopted grandparents ran the local store which they later sold on to Ailsa Hogan when she arrived in the Bay.

Matt Wilson's family also must have lived in the Bay for some considerable time as did the Dibbles as Martin and Lance were supposed to have been lifelong friends.

Why didn't Bobby's grandparents do anything to help Bobby with her abusive childhood, and why did the grandparents not take Bobby in when her father was sent to jail?

16 hours ago, Martin said:

Ah that was it, I had it in my head that Martha’s parents owned the store and they sold it after she died, but it was Doris Simpson’s parents and that’s why Bobby likely hung around the store and made friends with Ailsa (as well as Alf asking her to look out for Bobby).

I'd love to see a prequel series detailing everything that happened in summer bay pre 1988. They could even go back to First Nations people and the effects of colonisation. It depends. I'd love to at least see them explore a bit before 1988, there could be lots of drama.

10 hours ago, David Deex said:

I'd love to see a prequel series detailing everything that happened in summer bay pre 1988. They could even go back to First Nations people and the effects of colonisation. It depends. I'd love to at least see them explore a bit before 1988, there could be lots of drama.

I agree, it would definitely make some things a bit clearer.

If you get a chance and can find them, read the official home and away books, they somewhat explain what happened to some of the characters pre-Fletchers  arriving in Summer Bay days. For example, the way Bobby was treated by her father, watching her mum pass away,  the relationship with her grandparents and being promiscuous because she was looking for love. I remember Bobby making a comment, not sure which episode but she said along the lines of  "And they used to call me easy" and then there was her explaining to Frank that she wished she was a virgin. So the book definitely helped to give the backstory of those comments.

The books are not very detailed,  but something is better than nothing.

On 24/04/2020 at 14:03, c120701 said:

Ah that was it, I had it in my head that Martha’s parents owned the store and they sold it after she died, but it was Doris Simpson’s parents and that’s why Bobby likely hung around the store and made friends with Ailsa (as well as Alf asking her to look out for Bobby).

Either her  parents did own it, or the Stewart's owned it, and sold it to Bobbys grandparents. Martha for some reason was working at the store because in one of the flashbacks, Celia and her fiance went to see Martha to ask her something, but Martha couldnt help because she was taking Morag away to give birth to Bobby. 

Archived