Anniversary Celebrations and Special Events

joany208121

Sally 3 weddings brought back lot of returns tho from memory each wedding less returns 

Than was the thing with the boat when Kane got re introduced and Kristy Kane romance started. Was that a anniversary year? That had many returns 

Than  Alf 60th? birthday 

And Sally exit 

Those are  6 big return character moments i can think of in the last 31 Years 

Than neighbours has had 3 big return character events 20th 30th and now the 35h (could be more than that but that all i can think of top of my head)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 20/03/2020 at 19:29, adam436 said:

The problem with Home and Away's anniversary is that unlike many other soaps, it is very rarely on air in Australia on the actual date, which makes it hard to celebrate onscreen on the date itself.

The show's 20th anniversary coincided roughly with Sally's exit which saw the returns of Floss, Steven, Carly, Pippa and Tom as a ghost. I don't think it was ever officially acknwedged as the 20th anniversary story though...

It depends what you mean by "officially acknowledged". No character on any soap is ever going to say "It's the 20th anniversary of our show." But the storyliner stated he was writing for the 20th anniversary and it was talked about in publicity. And in-show we had lots of references to the past (not just returning characters). Plus the first episode opened with a close-up on Ric's birthday cake which read "20 good years."

On 17/03/2020 at 08:55, Red Ranger 1 said:

Has the show ever really "done" anniversaries though? There was a big event for Episode 4000, but otherwise: In 2008, we got the Sally/Miles storyline and in 2018, we got Martha being alive, both touching on the early days (with massive retcons) and both getting a reaction along the lines of "Is that it?" There wasn't really anything for the 10th anniversary, even though it coincided with Pippa leaving.I guess Sally came back in the 25th anniversary year, but that may have been more luck than anything else.What they did used to be very good at, especially during the 00s, and now aren't is making sure that characters didn't just cease to exist when they left: If you had a wedding or a funeral or an anniversary and there were people who should be there, then most of them were. But I guess with fewer links to the early days, there's fewer reasons for older characters to come back.And even when we do get one, like Alf getting married, the opportunity is missed.

Well you conveniently left out the ferry disaster which was for the 15th Season (offscreen) disguised as the Bay's 150th birthday (onscreen). And that was definitely a celebration full of returns.

10 hours ago, Sally Keating said:

Well you conveniently left out the ferry disaster which was for the 15th Season (offscreen) disguised as the Bay's 150th birthday (onscreen). And that was definitely a celebration full of returns.

...They celebrated the 15th season instead of the 15th anniversary? (It's not unheard of in series dramas but unusual in soaps.)

On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 19:29, adam436 said:

The show's 20th anniversary coincided roughly with Sally's exit which saw the returns of Floss, Steven, Carly, Pippa and Tom as a ghost. I don't think it was ever officially acknwedged as the 20th anniversary story though...

I don't know if it extended into Sally's departure, but they made a point of opening the season with a flashback to 1988 and a glimpse of the original (pre-Bay) Fletcher house.

The main aim of these anniversary or celebration episodes should be

- celebrate the milestone with key current characters at the forefront

- Showcase the shows rich history through nods to storylines or characters (frequently come through returning characters) and bring in lapsed viewers

- make dramatic television and show the actor’s abilities

- create compelling stories that push the show forward 

HAA’s last successful attempt at this was in 2008 and it worked well with the mystery of Sam’s death/Sally’s departure(and various character returns)/Milco story and the New Diner

How would the current show do this?

I doubt they are worried that anniversaries will "age" the show. It is still 32 years old. As Red Ranger said, I think they have never celebrated anniversaries in the way other soaps have done. The 10th anniversary went by virtually unnoticed.

If for the 35th in January 2023, they celebrate Alf's 80th, it will mean his age has reverted back to its original age. Alf was 45 in 1988 and his DOB revealed in his police file in 1993 as 19 January 1943.

• 8 months later...
On 02/04/2020 at 22:56, Homeandawayfan. said:

I doubt they are worried that anniversaries will "age" the show. It is still 32 years old. As Red Ranger said, I think they have never celebrated anniversaries in the way other soaps have done. The 10th anniversary went by virtually unnoticed.

If for the 35th in January 2023, they celebrate Alf's 80th, it will mean his age has reverted back to its original age. Alf was 45 in 1988 and his DOB revealed in his police file in 1993 as 19 January 1943.

Alf was 45 in 1988 as you say, and then he celebrated his 60th in 2005. I would like Alf's 80th to be in 2025.

It would make more sense to have Irene celebrate her 70th in 2023.

On 29/12/2020 at 06:33, Jezz said:

Alf was 45 in 1988 as you say, and then he celebrated his 60th in 2005. I would like Alf's 80th to be in 2025.

It would make more sense to have Irene celebrate her 70th in 2023.

Yes it was a slight change of the character's age but H&A has done this on numerous occasions with other characters. A 33 year old soap is bound to have such errors. Some character ages such as Don, Steven, Ailsa, Hayley and Flynn's ages have always been consistent it seems. Ailsa was hinted at being 38 in 1988 and 50 in 2000, tallies nicely.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/03/2020 at 00:00, Red Ranger 1 said:

...They celebrated the 15th season instead of the 15th anniversary? (It's not unheard of in series dramas but unusual in soaps.)

It was a marketing tactic, the show was going through a ratings slump and going to go against Big Brother for a second year, so they brought back to old cast for 15 years of Home and Away, it worked wonders apparently - I can’t find the article now. Pippa’s video message to Sally was to celebrate her 15 years in the bay, which was a bit meta.

4 hours ago, c120701 said:

It was a marketing tactic, the show was going through a ratings slump and going to go against Big Brother for a second year, so they brought back to old cast for 15 years of Home and Away, it worked wonders apparently - I can’t find the article now. Pippa’s video message to Sally was to celebrate her 15 years in the bay, which was a bit meta.

I always wondered why Debra Lawrence just made a video appearance that year. I wonder if Debra was unable to come to Sydney to film and that she did that message  from Melbourne.

Archived