Anniversary Celebrations and Special Events

joany208121

With Neighbour's 35th Anniversary occurring next week, and EastEnder's only last month it is providing a stark contrast to how Home and Away celebrated their 30th anniversary. Home and Away has shied away from celebrating these milestones (episode 7000, character anniversaries such as Leah and Marilyn and the 30th anniversary) due to a fear of being perceived as old. This article explains the contrast in more detail https://www.mediaweek.com.au/mercado-on-tv-neighbours-never-been-better-long-may-it-continue/

However with HAA filing 6 months in advance, and the show being plotted and scripted even further before that, surely the show is thinking about setting up something for the 35th anniversary celebration and putting the important characters at the forefront of storylines. I know some may suggest that now may be a little premature, but look at how long Alf and Martha's wedding took to come from the initial sink hole reveal. 

In saying this, how do you think the show should celebrate their next big milestone, or should it pass like any other normal episode/season of the show? 

Personally, I think the show needs to build/bring back stronger family ties around their original/longserving characters instead of blink and miss it returns. Giving Irene with her biaological children and grandchildren, or Leah with her brothers their children, or Alf and Duncan,Bryce and Martha will open many doors and opportunities for long running anniversary storylines. 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that the show does reluctant to acknowledge anniversaries and special occasions and as long as the current team are in charge, I can't see that changing.

Is there any reason that Rohan Nichol and Kestie Morrisi couldn't have played a recast Nathan and Grace (other than the fact she as a nurse and not a teacher!), making Ziggy and Coco Irene's grandchildren, rather than introducing a new family.

I understand introducing new characters helps move the show forward,  but the show's long-termers are starting to feel isolated. Irene has a revolving door of waifs and strays who are quickly forgotten and replaced as soon as they leave and Leah has been "drifting" for many years. Marilyn has found her place as John's wife and the local foster parents and they've made an effort to build a family around Alf, but they too had many years where they felt like spare parts. 

1 hour ago, adam436 said:

I agree that the show does reluctant to acknowledge anniversaries and special occasions and as long as the current team are in charge, I can't see that changing.

Is there any reason that Rohan Nichol and Kestie Morrisi couldn't have played a recast Nathan and Grace (other than the fact she as a nurse and not a teacher!), making Ziggy and Coco Irene's grandchildren, rather than introducing a new family.

I understand introducing new characters helps move the show forward,  but the show's long-termers are starting to feel isolated.

Agreed 100% the show is very reluctant to anniversaries and special occasions. 

Where is Jason Herbison when You need him?! I'll give Lucy Adario some credit for bringing back Sally, Duncan, Quinn and Morag throughout the years for guest stints but how about reintroducing someone on a more permanent basis?! Hands down though for Cameron Welsh who reintroduced Marilyn and Roo though.

Yess, that is a great idea! As it could have been a link to Irene - Nathan and Grace's family, rather then introducing a new family. Is it too late to make this happen? Haha

In my opinion the 35th anniversary could be based on Sally's 40th birthday or Irene's 60th/70th and they bring back former cast and celebrate in the diner but their is a fire caused with everyone unaware and its a matter of who survives!

On 14/03/2020 at 17:18, EndlessSummer said:

Agreed 100% the show is very reluctant to anniversaries and special occasions. 

Where is Jason Herbison when You need him?! I'll give Lucy Adario some credit for bringing back Sally, Duncan, Quinn and Morag throughout the years for guest stints but how about reintroducing someone on a more permanent basis?! Hands down though for Cameron Welsh who reintroduced Marilyn and Roo though.

Yess, that is a great idea! As it could have been a link to Irene - Nathan and Grace's family, rather then introducing a new family. Is it too late to make this happen? Haha

In my opinion the 35th anniversary could be based on Sally's 40th birthday or Irene's 60th/70th and they bring back former cast and celebrate in the diner but their is a fire caused with everyone unaware and its a matter of who survives!

Sally was born in 1979 so to do that they'd have to retcon the whole timeline so she was born c 1983

The show used to be brilliant at anniversaries and celebrations but in the last 10 or so years have become one of the worst soaps at doing this, when they used to be by far the best.

I can 100% guarantee you that the official line will be the usual: "Rather than a big celebration or lots of returning characters, we plan to celebrate our 35th year by having a great season full of strong stories that will delight our viewers."  So.... when it's NOT a milestone year, they don't want to have good stories? LOL.

It's just a nonsense PR line when what they really mean is "We're not doing anything for it."

Has the show ever really "done" anniversaries though? There was a big event for Episode 4000, but otherwise: In 2008, we got the Sally/Miles storyline and in 2018, we got Martha being alive, both touching on the early days (with massive retcons) and both getting a reaction along the lines of "Is that it?" There wasn't really anything for the 10th anniversary, even though it coincided with Pippa leaving.I guess Sally came back in the 25th anniversary year, but that may have been more luck than anything else.What they did used to be very good at, especially during the 00s, and now aren't is making sure that characters didn't just cease to exist when they left: If you had a wedding or a funeral or an anniversary and there were people who should be there, then most of them were. But I guess with fewer links to the early days, there's fewer reasons for older characters to come back.And even when we do get one, like Alf getting married, the opportunity is missed.

12 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Has the show ever really "done" anniversaries though? There was a big event for Episode 4000, but otherwise: In 2008, we got the Sally/Miles storyline and in 2018, we got Martha being alive, both touching on the early days (with massive retcons) and both getting a reaction along the lines of "Is that it?" There wasn't really anything for the 10th anniversary, even though it coincided with Pippa leaving.I guess Sally came back in the 25th anniversary year, but that may have been more luck than anything else.What they did used to be very good at, especially during the 00s, and now aren't is making sure that characters didn't just cease to exist when they left: If you had a wedding or a funeral or an anniversary and there were people who should be there, then most of them were. But I guess with fewer links to the early days, there's fewer reasons for older characters to come back.And even when we do get one, like Alf getting married, the opportunity is missed.

"Anniversaries and celebrations."

The problem with Home and Away's anniversary is that unlike many other soaps, it is very rarely on air in Australia on the actual date, which makes it hard to celebrate onscreen on the date itself.

The show's 20th anniversary coincided roughly with Sally's exit which saw the returns of Floss, Steven, Carly, Pippa and Tom as a ghost. I don't think it was ever officially acknwedged as the 20th anniversary story though...

Maybe 35th anniversary could be Alf's 80th if Ray is still on the show or sadly Alf's Funeral if Ray has retired by then. 

Can't see people like Lyn Collingwood/Shelia Kennelley/Norman Conburn.

Judy Nunn has said she would  like make to another appearance in some form or other again.

Both Kate Richie and  Debra Lawrence have said several times that they never rule out returning as a guest but perhaps not as a regular again. 

Archived