2020 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

It will be interesting to see if it comes out that Angelo pretended to be Colby to obtain Taylor's phone records, whether there will be any repercussions, regardless of whether he cracks the case.  I do have to admit the mind games at the moment is sublime.  And Angelo is definitely winning.  I didn't think I would initially but I am quite enjoying seeing Colby and Taylor squirm.  Taylor more-so.  It's interesting how Colby was using Taylor to turn the case to his advantage and now Angelo is using her to further his advancement in the case.  Given that he's bugged Taylor, presumably he's going to allow her and Colby to continue seeing each other.  You've got to admire his dedication.  Although he did seem to recognise he had been neglecting Taylor.  I did find it quite funny Colby agreeing to lift Nikau's travel ban.  I also found Colby's expression funny when Amber's mum rocked up at his.

The problem for me with Amber is that it feels as though she's banning Karen from seeing Jai permanently out of spite.  Not so much spite towards Dean but spite towards Karen.  However in saying that she does have a valid point (although I don't think Karen would intentionally harm Jai) I've said previously that Karen's a lose cannon.  Very surprised John would even want to speak to her to be honest. Even though Amber has a point she's getting a lot of flack from Dean because of how dismissive she's being rather than having a proper discussion about it.  Her mother's attitude doesn't help matters.

Angelo is ahead, for the moment but how long?  Seeing as he now knows, or suspected at that time, there was something going on between Taylor and Colby he took a chance telling Taylor there was a witness, if such a thing exists, which I do doubt myself,  on the off chance she'll tell Colby about it. But then doubt there was was blown away when he caught them on camera, of course he was too far away to hear anything that was being said.  Colby was again denying killing Ross or having anything to do with it so like you Red if Angelo planted that, illegal, bug on Taylor hoping to hear Colby have a sudden attack of conscience and say "Oh by the way I did kill Ross and Dean helped me bury him, Willow and Bella also know"  wouldn't do any good, any information gathered that way would be inadmissible in court, it would also lose him Taylor.  I know she's been the one cheating but having your own husband plant a bug on you  to catch out your killer boyfriend is another. One moment Angelo is apologising to Taylor about leaving her alone all the time, the next he's apologising  as he's going off to work again, so does strike to ring untrue, he's as sorry as he says.  

I'm wondering if Colby had forgotten all about the passport ban, I had, will he get it lifted for Tane and  Ari too?  Surprisingly good advice from Colby about not pressurising Nik to decide between her and his mum and she listened.  As I thought Amber hadn't told Francesca Colby was in the bay, the look of shock on both their faces said it all, Colby's first reaction was to try and apologise but naturally she didn't give him the chance, she was far more interested in tracking down Dean.  I can understand she'd be concerned about Jai, but Amber is a fully grown adult and any decision she makes about her and Jai is up to her.  She's obviously got negative feelings towards Karen as she knew her back in the old days. 

Just when we thought it was settled, more or less, with Dean and Amber she's playing the keep him dangling game. To me, at least, it seems Dean has been very patient and he's seeing the taking it to court to get access as a last resort.  Of course this  could mean  him being advised to having  a DNA test done to ascertain he is Jai's dad.   I had to laugh at the look on John's face when Dean foisted Karen onto him when she rang Dean.?  Although things were always tense between John  and Karen, she tried to run him over first time they met,  even he was batting for her when he spoke to Amber saying she had changed a lot.  We all know the simplest thing would be for Amber just to meet with Karen and see for herself, but what would be the reason after all these years? "I just happened to be in the area, so thought I'd catch up"?

Edited by H&Alover

Episode counts this week:Rather sparse with only Irene, Leah, Tori and Justin getting three episodes out of the regular cast, and ironically they were all in the first three episodes.Marilyn was only in one, although she was credited on Thursday for no appearance.

In fact, at times that episode seemed to be written around the characters available.Ari has to hear Nikau might leave town from Marilyn, and only gets to talk to Nikau about it on the phone.Mackenzie has to have an off screen conversation with Ziggy to explain where Tane is.

And in the main plot, I guess no-one's wholly right or wholly wrong but. I was hoping Mackenzie would have a better reason for going off at Amber, and it would have been nice to see her give Francesca both barrels. Francesca is very objectionable but Amber made a decent job of building a case for her: She's lost her son, partly because of Dean (and she may not know how involved Colby was), and supported Amber and Jai for five years. But Francesca can't just magic Dean away, and neither can Amber who seems to want everything on her own terms. Dean's suggestion of a proper legal agreement was reasonable but Amber won't play ball. With Alf absent, John is back in wise old man mode: He's a good influence on Amber and that's probably the nicest he's ever been about Dean. Running off with Jai is, of course, a bad move, but Dean's been desperate for Jai not to have the childhood he had and Francesca seems more focused on beating him than on what's best for Jai.

So, not the big climax some people were hoping for, but at least we end in a memorable situation that needs to be resolved next year. Current reports indicate we'll have 7 weeks of the 2020 season left when we return. And to show how ridiculous those new bumpers are, we have poor James Stewart encouraging us to tune into the next episode on Monday, and literally a second later the continuity announcer tells us the show will be back next year.Talk about mixed messages.

41 minutes ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

With Alf absent, John is back in wise old man mode: He's a good influence on Amber and that's probably the nicest he's ever been about Dean. Running off with Jai is, of course, a bad move, but Dean's been desperate for Jai not to have the childhood he had and Francesca seems more focused on beating him than on what's best for Jai.

Speaking of which, what is John's beef with Dean?

Marilyn, like a lot of people before her, thought the person she was talking to knew what was going on - in this case Nik getting his passport ban lifted so he can go to New Zealand.  He covered it well though.  Ari fretting again about Tane being in the city and what he could be up to.  So maybe just as well Mac rang Ziggy, she would have been a lot more subtle about finding out. But from the trailer of the episode we won't be seeing till next year, it's not going as originally planned. 

I've asked before but what is it about Mac that rubs Amber up  the wrong way so much?  It's not Mac's fault she was born on the 'right side of the tracks' and had a better upbringing than Dean, she didn't know he existed until recently.  They just couldn't resist getting into another who can shove who the hardest contest.  Then mama Francesca rocks up.  John did a great job diffusing the situation, effectively throwing Amber and Francesca out so they could 'talk' on the beach. He does seem to have a soft spot for Amber but not so much he's biased against Dean, he's seen how far he's come.  Liked that little shrug and wave  he gave when Amber mouthed 'thank you' to him.  Lovely offer - via Willow - that if Dean wanted daddy advice he could  talk to  him. 

We did found a bit more about their background - how Amber had decided not to have an abortion against Francesca's advice once she found out who the daddy was and she didn't want him to know.  Fair enough Francesca supported Amber for the last five years but she can't keep dictating how she runs her life and her decision to introduce Dean to his son. That's why I'm still up and down with Amber

We did find out Dean is 27, oops just seen it's on his profile page on BttB website, which would have made him 21 when Jai was born which for some is a mature age, for others not.  I agree Dean's proposal of getting legal advice and having  a written agreement in place is very reasonable but Amber turned it down flat.  Was that because of what she talked to Willow about ages ago the more Dean would want to be involved the more controlling he'd be? But getting a legal agreement would be beneficial to both sides, not forgetting Jai.  We'll see them in court then.   Of course another explanation could be - and I hope I'm wrong - is that  a solicitor would advise Dean to get a DNA test done to prove paternity.  Mind you so would a court. 

OK who posted those charge sheets of Dean's under the door with the ominous message 'you won't win' on the post-it-note?  If either Amber or Francesca - how did they get hold of them? I thought just the police or prison service would have them and wouldn't give them to just anyone?  Dean could ask Colby about that. Whoever did it must have moved like the wind to get down those stairs to get away before Dean opened the door.  

I'll let Amber off with leaving Jai alone, that was down to Francesca who Amber had left him with.  Karen had a reason, she was mentally unstable, Francesca doesn't have any reason to do that, anything could have happened to Jai as Dean well knows. I think that was a gut reaction from Dean, but unfortunately we won't find out what the fall out is until next year.

That was a bit of  a boob at the end with James telling us to check out 5Star which is fair enough, but then adding see next Monday's episode at 1.15pm.  Of course it could be when it was filmed the decision hadn't been made that would be 'our' last episode of the year, but it could have been cut. 

Edited by H&Alover

Channel 5 should really remove the picture of Gemma from their website given that she's not coming back (Yay!).  I liked the way Ari was trying to spend time with Dean to help take his mind off Amber re Jai.  I guess Dean is the only friend Ari has.  I didn't like the way Mackenzie was dismissive of Ari when he just wanted to buy Dean a drink, Dean obviously didn't want to talk about Amber but Mackenzie wouldn't let it go.  I do actually think the legal approach is the right option as I agree with Dean that neither Amber or her mother can be trusted.  Dean would need his head read confiding in John for anything though given how John acknowledged how he's acted towards Dean in the past.  Even if you put that aside, John is obviously team Amber anyway.  Dean shows he's not thinking properly going round to confront presumably Francesca about the info on his criminal past left at his front door and taking Jai afterwards given how Mackenzie said she could get him a decent lawyer.

On 20/11/2020 at 19:36, CaptainHulk said:

Seems a bit contrived Amber and Franny *ducks a shoe* would leave Jai on his own...

Yeah I thought that was odd too, especially as he was just wandering about in the front garden. I almost thought it was a set up at first.