2020 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 20:12, Helena said:

My tv guide says that home and away is on 5star Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday and Friday.

Quick check of the Channel 5 website confirms it's only on Mondays and Fridays (repeat of the day's Channel 5 episode at 3.30pm and First Look at 6.30pm). Otherwise, its evening slot has been given over to repeats of Can't Pay We'll Take It Away...

Bella's been referred to as being 17 already. In normal circumstances, she wouldn't be too far off turning 18, but with episodes being rationed, it could take years...

Anyway, today. Oh, Marilyn, you were doing so well.I liked her kindness and everything, and I'm willing to accept it was a good place, but she was out of order inviting the Paratas to stay without consulting John: It wasn't even a spur of the moment decision, she'd obviously been planning it.Her justification reminded me of the days when Alf used to treat Miles' house like a hotel for his old friends and then accuse him of betraying the spirit of Tom and Pippa if he objected. She's put everyone in a difficult position: John has to either go along with it or look bad, and the Paratas are left feeling unwanted.Actually, Gemma was a bit presumptuous herself accepting it without asking Ari and Nikau (who were right there!) if they liked the idea. I know John can be pompous, but Nikau really didn't help matters by being rude to him: What did he hope to achieve? Ari actually handled it well for once, not rising to it, although he was probably just trying to set a good example.It feels from Ryder's comments that we're meant to see John as motivated by jealousy, but there are times when it feels as though he's got good reason for being annoyed with Marilyn even without that.

Last time I checked, Mackenzie and Colby weren't even dating: They broke off way back when Bella was (really) recuperating from her immunisations.So I don't see why she shouldn't join a dating site if she wants, although it did seem a bit abrupt when she was only talking about not having that sort of relationship with Colby the previous episode.Ryder proves that whatever fine qualities he might possess, keeping a secret is not one of them.Okay, when it's really important he can manage it, but he seemed to do everything possible to make Dean suspicious here.Of course, Mackenzie's date promptly turns out to be the next guest villain.She really can't catch a break.

Spoiler

Something else I missed about Bella I mean.  

As suspected John is jealous, not in  a sexual way, about Maz being close to Ari and why can't she  turn to him.  It's as Maz said he, Ari, was there,  John wasn't so couldn't understand. It would be the same the other way  round if John had been through something similar.  Though his having those flashbacks and being the arsonist would count as PTSD and he cut himself off from Marilyn and others even when they wanted to help.  Maz said to Irene, things hadn't been right between her and John for a while but they have been there before many times before and always come through.  

Maybe part of Maz knew John would say no if she had consulted him about  the Parata's moving in, it is a big ask, three adults, bit of a difference from one teenager. It wasn't doing any of them camping out in the car, just making Ari and Nik all the more grumpy with each other than they are already. Nik was pushing it washing his clothes under the shower.  John after his talk with was  more reasonable when he got back home and it helped knowing Ari wouldn't be staying there. 

Crafty move there by Roo getting Nik to help her unload the gear for the bait shop.  He can be a hard worker when he can be bothered, Roo isn't a push over, she is Alf's daughter after all and wouldn't have paid him otherwise. It wasn't much but he was really chuffed by it. Ari isn't work shy as John claims, he's can't get signed off to go back to work.  Not the first time John has made the remarks "We know nothing about them, where they come from etc" He said the same about the Morgan's, Robbo, but then Robbo didn't know anything about his past. Was it my imagination but were Ari and Nik actually being civil to each other when asking Roo about renting a van? 

Interesting if tense phone call between Gemma and Tane. 

Didn't take Ryder long to crack about Mac's blind date when Dean tackled him. As it turned out a good thing seeing as he wasn't just an ex but one set on blackmailing her.  He doesn't have a leg to stand on, she kept his name out of it when it happened and she is paying Rick back so he'd just be dropping himself in it.  She didn't want Colby to know because she was embarrassed about moving on, but as they aren't together there shouldn't be a problem.  

I thought Patricia said she wasn't the one to speak to Bella yet she was back and still not getting anywhere, and  her pushing Bella to open up wasn't I thought the way counsellors usually work.  Nice to see Ryder and Bella being friends again and on an easy footing.

• Confused 1

@H&Alover Your post appears to include details on both the Channel 5 and 5STAR episodes (as you're aware, this thread is C5 pace only) - I'm not going to go back through the eps and try and cross-reference each sentence of your post, so I've put the whole post in a spoiler tag for now. If you wish to edit it yourself to remove the spoilers then feel free to do so.

I did enjoy those Roo/Nikau scenes, they have a good rapport (mainly down to Georgie and Kawakawa I think)

• Like 1

On ‎31‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 01:10, Helena said:

Okay thanks I suppose I can't change what my tv guide says is 5star like this is well.

The schedules were rearranged fairly late in the day, so TV guides published last week still had five episodes down for this week.

Anyway...for once I did appreciate Colby and Dean putting the hard word on to get rid of Mackenzie's annoying ex.That was a bit of something and nothing really! And fair play to him, Colby took the news that Mackenzie's looking elsewhere in his stride.Meanwhile, the Ryder and Bella double act continues to strike gold both together and individually.I'm glad she was honest with him about her overdose and he made it clear how much he cares: I continue to think he's one of the few genuinely positive influences she's got in her life.It seemed to result in her opening up a bit more with Patricia, although of course she still has to skirt around certain issues, and Colby's way of handling her concerns that she might give him away has now been reduced to "You won't." I liked Ryder showing Bella photos of his car like a new parent too.And he twice comes to Mackenzie's aid, or at least summons Dean to do so: Him thinking Dean was asking him rather than Mackenzie if he was all right was another good comedy moment.

Nikau shows some nous for once by being the one to suggest going to Roo for help.I'm continuing to find Marilyn rather frustrating and inconsiderate, and a scene of her badmouthing John to Irene made me lose sympathy for her rather than the opposite.John isn't perfect by any means: He basically confessed to Roo that he doesn't like Marilyn confiding in Ari instead of him, and he was just looking for faults in Ari's attempt at a compromise.But inevitably he's the one that has to back down even if a little bit, while Marilyn just rides roughshod and acts as though his feelings don't matter and he doesn't have the right to an opinion.I'm not quite sure where we left things: Is Ari going to take the van or is he included in John's offer to stay for two weeks? (So...five weeks for us?)

Spoiler

John needs to talk  to Marilyn about why he feels the way he does about Ari otherwise it's just going to fester and things may be said that can't be unsaid.  I think it was decided it's just Gemma and Nik staying  at John & Marilyn's and Ari is in a van, ease tensions anyway.  Both Gemma and Nik have jobs - even if part time - so will be able to contribute to  their living there. 

Jasmine isn't in a good place - may seem an odd thing to spot but I noticed she had hardly touched her meal when she, Irene, Willow and Alex were having dinner.     Apart from Robbo giving her the gym would Jasmine be getting a pension from the AFP and what about all the money he had accrued during his disappearance?   Her having the gym may be good for her, something to focus on and although she said she didn't have any idea of how to run one there have been absent landlords before, they just left whoever was there to run it.  

Not a long time to find a replacement for Willow as manager if she is still going.:unsure:  Alex earwigging Irene and Jasmine talking seems to cast doubt.  

Cripes, Dean hadn't even moved into Colby and Bella's and he's asking Ziggy to move in with him - liberties or what!  She, Ziggy, did, have the nous to say no - at least not yet. She's been burnt before by moving in with a bloke too quick. Dean took it very well, he's grown up too and recognised it wasn't personal.  He got his priorities  right about what to fill the fridge up with - beer!:lol:? -  yeh I know they don't normally bother with glasses. 

Bella still isn't comfortable with Patricia and that is what you do need to be if you are going to open up.  The distance teaching idea has become a cropper so Colby is going to have to fork out for home tutors now Maggie and Roo are back at school as well a counsellor.  

Good relationship between Justin and Ziggy.  

Not a spoiler as we saw it on Justin's (?) laptop but Leah has got engaged to a disembodied arm.:o  Justin appears to be letting the cops handle it and isn't running off in all directions.  

Edited by Dan F
Spoilers for C5 viewers

@H&Alover You've just done it again - a lot of that post refers to the episode that isn't airing on C5 until tomorrow (including the part you insist isn't a spoiler, which would have been in the promo at the end of the 5STAR ep).

As you're evidently watching at 5STAR pace now, I would encourage you to please use the dedicated thread to share your thoughts.

• Like 2