2020 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

To think when Colby first arrived in the bay he was a decent cop, rescued Mason from a beating by two River Boys, he didn't show them any favouritism, even arrested Dean when he was chasing after and was ready to pulverise Robbo.  We sympathised with him when it was revealed he'd been looking for Belle for ten years, he did his job, had his short lived fling with Jasmine and was a normal guy.   He may not have been the most exciting character but was well liked.  It all started to go wrong when he and Dean tracked down Ross to where he was hiding and they rescued Bella.    Who knows if Ross had stayed away, maybe none of this would have happened.:unsure:      Tim Franklyn is playing  the role of a good guy morphing into a bad, really bad, guy very well.   He really is  unlikable now. Maybe Willow and Bella brought his line that it's over with Traylor because they wanted to.  He isn't going to get anything  from her regarding the investigation so is he staying with her for another reason?   I wouldn't have strictly called it spying when he clocked Angelo and Taylor on the pier, it just worked out that way.  Taylor can still say no to meeting up with Colby but still does so she must be attracted to him.  Btw not much social distancing going on between them.

Ziggy must know Bella is aware of what happened if Dean and Willow do.  I know Willow didn't say as much when she revealed she knew, but seeing how close the four of them are be impossible for Bella not to know.  That really would have got Angelo's antenna twitching if Ziggy had belted Colby in front of him and he didn't do anything any cop would have done by giving her his card which Colby saw.   Colby was really vicious when he told Ziggy is was Dean's idea to bury the body when to be fair to him he was willing to take the body in and confess all leaving Dean out of it. 

Bella played that so well, she's so much stronger than she used to be, something Colby hasn't clocked yet.   I'm guessing Angelo was working again which is why Taylor was able  to meet up with Colby.

There had to be some fall out from Mac moving out and a casual remark from Tane about it being good to have  a woman free zone  got Ari wondering why Tane seemed much more relaxed.  Mac was in a no  win situation, she moved out to make it easier for Tane but upset Ari in the process, but if she had stayed there would always have been that tension.   Nik did well by stepping in between them.  I think Ari believed them when they both said nothing had happened.  Ari has to decide if he can live with what he was told. 

• Like 1

I don't think Ziggy would necessarily assume Bella knows: She didn't realise Willow knew at first, and there was a couple of months when Dean and Willow knew and Bella didn't. Personally, I think it was clear Colby wasn't the good guy he initially appeared to be as soon as we found out about him leaving Jai to die, but it was the murder of Ross that really made him irredeemable. Colby is now being full-on abusive towards Bella, adopting a very Ross-like attitude of "I'm the only one you can trust, everything bad that happens is your fault and everything I do is what's best for us." Problem for him is he hasn't got Bella isolated so she has other, saner influences on her. Thing is, this isn't new. Flashback a year and Colby was lying to Bella about seeing Mackenzie and Bella was taking photographs to prove it.The stakes are higher now, but I think it's just people's perspective of Colby that's shifting because he isn't able to keep the nice guy act up as much as he used to: He tried it on Bella here but quickly resorted to forcing the issue when she didn't fall for it. He's keeping it up with Taylor, who's still in the dark.It feels like a bit of a power thing with her, and maybe he likes being around someone who sees him as the person he likes to think he is.

I think part of Mackenzie keeping Tane's counsel was so she didn't want to cause more trouble between him and Ari.I don't think she's as undecided as Ari seems to think, so I'm not sure his going away to give her space will really achieve anything.

Owen seemed to make a good impression on Alf with their family dinner, only to have a very different demeanour when Roo saw him the next day.At a guess, I'd say that he's just received some bad news.

• Like 1

I might as well have my say, it may be a bit confusing so just bear with me. I went from liking Colby to detesting him at least two years ago, especially during the show's desperate attempts to victimise him and vilify Bella, as well as his sociopathic tendencies that were quite noticeable back then (not as much as it is now but visible), but for some reason I'm still rather shocked and appalled by just how blatantly arrogant and bullying he's been this year. I did see something like this coming and I too found him irredeemable given his actions last year, but it still makes me grit my teeth more than before when I see him on screen, mainly because I didn't think they could make him even worse than what him and his attitude was before. I mean, there's no way the show expects us to root for him at all (not that some of us were at all). 

Well, Colby's continuing to be Ross 2.0 (I'm not apologising for that). There is literally no way to describe his behaviour towards Bella (Which again was already bad) other than abusive. As I feared, he's dictated what she's allowed and not allowed to do, and he contradicts himself a lot today, either claiming that what he's doing is best for "the family", or that it's all Bella's fault. Of course, this is not the first time Colby mentally strong-armed Bella into feeling guilty about things in order to keep her quiet, him and Dean did it a lot last year when she was struggling with the emotional trauma of recent events, and as Red said above, it also isn't the first time Colby lied about things for his own ends. What he's doing is straight up manipulating her into thinking that she could only rely on him, again pretty much like Ross. I'm still liking Bella, who isn't taking any of Colby's bull and is still standing her ground, and is acting in a more rational manner. Again, I really also feel sorry for her, while she is still being brave in standing up to Colby, she still looked terrified after he grabbed the camera off her. I also do feel sorry for Taylor, as it appears as if she's just looking for some actual romance with her marriage falling apart, which is why she accepts Colby's good guy act rather easily. 

The only light I've found in this episode was Owen and Alf's argument about fish, and even that's soured by Owen's aloof dismissal of Roo the next day. 

Edited by D.B

Colby's gone off the Pier this time, applying pressure.  I have a feeling this story would have been better than they kept Robbo alive (I know he'd probably have his own problems to deal with but him being a federal cop would probably be sniffing around this) but it'd probably end up with Colby giving him a round of bullet stew if he got too close, further exacerbating his problems.

Ooh, Something must have gone REALLY wrong for Owen to act like He lost $500 and found 50c...

May seem like  I'm excusing Colby for leaving Jai to die and Dean to take the wrap, but he was only 17/18 then and not  thinking clearly and was just reacting.  It was one bad mistake, plenty out there do the same thing and turn their lives around. Granted one of the reasons he became a cop was to try and track down Ross but he was a good one. He'd had ten years to grow up since then and until Ross reappeared did things by the book. Agree the Bella we are seeing now isn't the Bella we first saw who relied on Colby for everything and didn't want to let him out of her sight.  It may only be two years since they have been back together again but she's grown in that time and now has outside support - as in Nik - which she didn't have before - no offence to Irene - and certainly has a mind of her own.  I'm not including Dean or Willow as in a way they are part of the problem.  Colby may have had his rant at Bella demanding that she 'proves' she is on his side like she says she is, but I think he knows she is  not the scared little Bella anymore so needs to be cautious.  

The reason Colby was lying to Bella about Mac was because Bella had taken an instant dislike against Mac and hated Colby spending any time with her and she was single so no cheating involved, Bella had it her head she was breaking up the family, could have been any female actually, Bella didn't want to share Colby with anyone hence her faking illnesses  and overdosing. Colby had every right to see who he wanted to see.  

Taylor isn't a complete innocent in all this, she is the one cheating and she called him this time.  Bella is thinking the same way I am, maybe it's gone beyond Colby just using Taylor to get info and he is developing feelings for her. 

D.B. - Be a bit weird, as well as illegal if Taylor sees Colby' s actions as that of a good brother.?

Maybe Ari going to the city is a good idea, they just seem to be going round and round in circles when he's here, they haven't spent that much time apart since they got together and him being away may help her decide it she misses him enough to go forward.  Either that or they have different thoughts on their future as Ari seems to want to settle down properly whereas it seems to me at least Mac isn't ready for that yet.   

Alf's face when  he saw Roo coming out of Owens' van.:lol::o  Did he really have no idea?  Marilyn certainly did, yeh of course you were up all night talking. Owen was rather press ganged into the family dinner, but at least he wasn't 'trapped' at the house and no no special reason, just Alf deciding he needs to know more about the guy.  Owen is 55 - same age as Roo(?) - not 18 so can see why he was so bemused by Alf's interrogation.  Doesn't like fishing✖️, gets sea sick✖️, doesn't do crosswords✖️, do have daughters though✔️.  Marilyn did keep Alf in check somewhat and suggested' he didn't have any more dessert to get him to go home.   Owen seemed fine after Alf and Marilyn had gone, so the complete U-turn the next morning was a surprise - or maybe not as Marilyn did rather signal things were going to go awry when she said to Alf it looked like Roo had found that special one and hadn't seen her that happy for ages.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, H&Alover said:

D.B. - Be a bit weird, as well as illegal if Taylor sees Colby' s actions as that of a good brother.?

Sorry, I should have been more specific, didn't mean that at all. I meant how she mistakes Colby as a good guy in general, and her comment that Bella was """"lucky""" to have Colby as a brother, which I took as her falling for his good guy act, as Red said. My point was more on the fact that she thought Colby was a good brother to Bella. I now get how wrong that can come across, really sorry about that. Didn't mean to sound weird there, Eww! ?

Edited by D.B
  • Haha 1

I would have looked past what Colby did with Jai if it had been nothing for more than a youthful mistake, but throughout that year we saw that Colby was not a good cop:Lying about his gang affiliations, using his position to pursue a private vendetta in a way that came across as entitled, failing to arrest Karen when he had the chance leading to Dean nearly being killed, putting Ryder, Raffy and Coco in danger in order to keep the police away from a River Boy hideout, nearly turning a blind eye to Dean and Willow breaking into the surf club, sabotaging the police's attempts to find Ross because he wanted him and his mate Dean to be the ones to sort it...Killing Ross was simply the culmination of twelve months of showing that Colby was as bent as they come and had a lot of anger management issues.Bella didn't hate Mackenzie on sight, they got on well at first, she just couldn't forgive her for hurting Colby.Sure, Colby was entitled to date who he wanted without Bella's permission, but as now, he lied to her about it and treated her as the one in the wrong.

So, today.Took us a while to get to the root of Owen's behaviour and you'd kind of expect him to have mentioned to Roo or Ryder in the lead-up that his and Evan's birthday was coming up rather than just suddenly be morose that morning as if someone had flicked a switch.But I guess these things can just hit you sometimes, and maybe he expected them to make the connection themselves.It must be hard to mark your first birthday without your twin brother when you never had one with him.

It's no wonder that Jasmine and Justin have got a bit confused about how the AVO works, given that Tori seems to spend most of her time acting as though it doesn't exist.Leah referring to it almost seemed jarring in the circumstances, but at least she didn't labour the point too much. Another "clearing the air" chat between Justin and Jasmine.

Edited by Red Ranger 1
  • Like 1

Well, this episode was a rather nice one compared to the previous ones this week, but unfortunately it's the one I don't have much to say about it. I really enjoyed the Jasmine and Justin scenes, I'm glad they were able to rekindle their friendship. I did fear from the promo that there would have been a confrontation between Leah and Jasmine, but both were behaved cool during it and Leah didn't make a big deal out of it, which I'm grateful for. And to give Jasmine credit, she didn't volunteer to look after Grace, it was Justin who asked for her to look after Grace, (though surprising since I would have thought he would have definitely remembered the AVO, which personally I still don't like, but whatever). I mean, I think he felt it was just going to be for a few minutes, but I thought he would have been a bit more serious about it. So far, I'm really liking Jasmine's recovery, it's one of the few highlights of this year, though from Tori's reaction in the next promo, things may turn sour between them. 

Well, I'm glad we found what was going on with Owen. Compared to what I was fearing from yesterday, I thought Ryder handled it pretty maturely, when he could have taken it the wrong way. I really felt bad for him feeling guilty about not knowing about Evan (which I forgot that both him and Owen are twins), and especially sorry for Owen, especially since he never shared a birthday with Evan. I mean, I felt really bad for Evie a couple of years ago when she celebrated her first birthday since Oscar died, but at least she shared 18 of them with him, Owen never had that chance. I'll be honest, I was a bit nervous when Roo and the others ambushed him at the house for the celebration, it was a nice touch, but there was a chance he would react badly to it. Still the episode had some really nice scenes at the end with Ryder and Owen with the guitar, and I have to admit I did laugh when Ryder called Alf out for being intimidating. 

Just weighing in, yeah I definitely agree with Red. Colby has already been a bad cop long before he killed Ross. I mean, I felt at the start he had some good moments as an officer, but overall looking back, there was a lot of stuff he did or was responsible for I felt I was making excuse for or else couldn't ignore that was very bad. 

Edited by D.B

We are never going to agree about Colby Red, as you hate him,  but he has certainly packed a lot of bad moves,  misjudgements into the past year.  He's not psychic so how could he have know his not arresting Karen would lead Dean into danger.  No-one knew the extent of her mental illness, like everyone else he thought she just had a drink problem.  Mac made the right decision for her, that she couldn't cope with Colby being  a cop, they hadn't been dating long, it was Bella overreacting, as he wasn't that hurt.  Mac and Colby wanted to keep seeing each other, but having told Bella he wouldn't what he supposed to do?  Him telling her he was going to continue to see Mac wouldn't have  worked back then. It was all on-off-on-off situation that did everyone's head in. 

That was a kind of weird reaction from Owen, but thinking about it understandable.  A normal birthday turned into something else, one that if he'd known him he could have been sharing it with Evan.  No reason why he would have mentioned it to Roo or Ryder, maybe he thought they'd mention it to him?   Big relief for Roo he hadn't gone off her and Alf hadn't scared him off.  He just felt a bit adrift with the realisation he'd missed out on so much.  I know Ryder had only known Evan for a short while but that was more than Owen did. I'm pretty sure if they had met they would  have found they had a lot in common.  I did like Ryder berating Owen and telling him he'd warned him not to mess Roo about.  I felt for Ryder when he realised he'd forgotten it was Evan's birthday when he said he'd been reading the order of service a lot so should have spotted it. It happens that way, you read something time and time again but don't take it in. Roo not realising you could put down to the fact her and Evan didn't talk about it.  That was a nice and touching party, nothing OTT, just a simple meal.  Good job Owen didn't ask too many questions and just went along with Roo.  Nice touch Owen and Ryder playing guitar together and toasting Evan, I'm sure he would have approved and felt well chuffed.  Does seem to have led Ryder wondering what his future holds and what he thinks he should do with his life.  He's come a long way since that rather mixed up boy that drifted into the bay three years ago. 

That mention of the AVO and the query to whether had Tori lifted it  came out of the blue so of course there had to be a reason.  Well the best laid plans of mice and men etc brought it back into focus.  A domino effect of Jasmine offering to take Justin's take away to him as Irene was going to be stuck in the Diner, then his MRI scan being brought forward meant Leah wasn't there to look after Grace which meant Jasmine was alone with her for the first time for however long.  Justin didn't have a choice, he had to go AVO or no AVO. To be fair to Jasmine she didn't automatically pick Grace up the  moment he'd gone and was even reluctant to when she started crying.  Naturally as soon as she does Leah appears, who to give her credit didn't overreact too  much.  Justin did apologise to Jasmine about his behaviour towards her which she accepted.  

Colby knew Karen was a danger and had mental health issues, but as usual he thought he knew best and bent, if not outright broke, the rules in order to help out his mates.

Today? To be honest, not sure where to start.I guess the big thing of the episode was Tori lifting the AVO.It was probably long past time: It was the right decision when it was first put in place, but Tori's been misusing it pretty much since the next day so it was time to get rid of it.Jasmine does seem to be her old self so hopefully it'll be plain sailing.Awkwardness between Tori and Christian: She really does act like a schoolgirl with a crush around people she fancies.Nice heart-to-heart between Alf and Ryder with added Roo.

Dean's back and sending John running scared.Amber had a good reason to be angry with him, although she ultimately seemed to forgive him pretty quickly.Jai did just seem a bit tired at first but looks like he's going downhill.