2020 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

So, the choice is between Bella living with Colby and Bella living with Nikau? Talk about a lose-lose situation, it almost makes me fondly remember the days when she was forced to live with Irene for no good reason. Nikau only has to work half an hour and still clocks off early... There was no way him giving Colby a lecture was going to work: Colby doesn't even listen to the people he likes, he's not going to do what Nikau, who he still barely tolerates, tells him to. Despite having the perfect opportunity to end things with Taylor, he insisted on carrying on and doesn't even seem to be bothering to hide it: He's spent so long getting away with murder, he thinks he can get away with anything, and he usually does. Poor taste in men aside, Taylor isn't really coming across very well sneaking around with Colby like this.She keeps making token noises of guilt and then coming back for more.Slightly bewildered that Bella thinks Nikau taught her not to give up on family: Running off at the first sign of trouble seems to describe his behaviour perfectly!

Marilyn was being a bit irritating laying things on with a trowel with Roo, although even Alf had noticed something.They're the only ones though: Irene and Leah seemed utterly oblivious.Justin wasn't in it much but looks like he's doing well.

Edited by Red Ranger 1

Seems she may not be staying at the Parata's, Nik's just assumed it'd be OK just to move her in.  Ari at least checked it out with Tane and Nik before Mac moved in.  She's had enough, Dean and Ziggy have split so hasn't got them as backup or at present Willow as taken Dean away for a  few days.  Also she now knows why Dean and Ziggy h have split.  If she does move in it'll mean Colby bothering them every chance he gets as he can no longer order her to come home.  We don't know Nik hadn't been working previously before that half hour, at least he is working. It's not  a full time job just when Alf needs him.   Wasn't a good idea him facing Colby down there wasn't  a lot he could say without giving away the fact he knows the whole truth.  We saw in the 'flashback' Dean told Colby that Ziggy knew the whole truth which is why she dumped him.   Nik didn't tell Bella he had confronted Colby though which is probably why he tried to put her off seeing him.  

I'm confused.com that call Taylor took, I'm sure it 'said' the caller was Angelo but it seemed she was talking to Colby but was she?  She said "I cant' do this anymore" and he appeared to respond. Was Colby seeing Taylor and Angelo on the Salt balcony accidental or a set up?  Finally, if their affair is supposed to be secret, OK I know affairs usually are meant to be,  what was that with her sitting with Colby in his car in a public place, then proceeding to snog his face off? Bella saw them so what the chances anyone else could have would have been very high.  Angelo always appears to come across as kind and understanding towards Bella or is that a ploy on his part?  

Not sure how old Leah is now - mid/ late 40's - so maybe her going on about Justin being her last chance of love would seem right to her.  Roo is maybe 10 years older(?) and maybe thinking it's too late for her to find that special someone.  Roo did seem a tad envious that Owen was spending more time with Ryder and that she hadn't seen him since their dinner.  You can excuse Leah not taking much notice she was just happy Justin  had come through his surgery OK.  

I know Dean told Colby that Ziggy knew about the murder, my point was that Willow didn't tell him even though she spoke to him first and made a point of telling him about the split but apparently didn't tell him why. Nikau was on the beach with Bella before going into work and it still seemed fairly early.Taylor was checking Angelo's call details before Colby called her.Leah should only be early 40s, given she turned 30 in 2009. Roo shouldn't be that much older going by her original age, although they may have added a few years on when Georgie Parker took over the role.10 years is probably about right give or take.

So, today!

I may be letting my personal feelings get in the way but I don't think Bella and Nikau are remotely ready for living together.Trying to be objective, Ari did move Mackenzie in without any real consultation, and Nikau was trying to look out for her but again he hadn't thought it through and it wasn't the best way.I doubt Colby even noticed Bella had moved out given she seems to have spent most of her time at the Paratas' recently, but he'd have twigged eventually and wouldn't have been happy.It's probably good that Ari softened a bit, the last thing anyone need is things deteriorating between him and Nikau again.Talking of which, Mackenzie moving out might be best given the tension.

Roo and Owen still have difficulty mastering the art of arranging to meet.Given the thread elsewhere about post-Covid episodes, Georgie Parker mentioned shortly after filming resumed that she'd had a socially distanced kiss. I'm guessing that was it, since I noticed we never actually saw Roo and Owen's lips touch (there was always part of their body blocking our view, most obvious the way Roo put her hand in the way).

Obviously misunderstood your post, but I suppose it wasn't Willow's place to tell Colby why Dean and Ziggy split.  Makes sense now that conversation, did he just turn up at Salt by accident then? 

Lose track of the olders ages - no offence Leah. Ada aka Leah doesn't seem to have aged at all but sadly Georgie - Roo - has. 

They - Bella and Nik - wouldn't have been living alone - which would have been tough, and Bella is used to living with a number of people. Good try there Nik cooking your mum's egg and bacon pie to try and curry favour.  I was impressed a pie! Did he make his own pastry or was it shop bought? Both Ari and Tane acted very restrained when he first sprang it on them, but it did have to be addressed. OK Nik does contribute in his own small way - so does have a say - but Ari and Tane were more worried about Colby giving them grief because they were 'sheltering' Bella just as things had kind of settled down.  Even though Bella has been spending more time at Nik's so maybe Colby wouldn't notice her absence you'd think after their latest argument he'd be at least ringing her to check things were OK.  A few months back he got his pants in a panic if he didn't hear from her after a few hours. Nice chat between Ari and Bella who saw his point of view and decided to move back in with Colby.  Just as well Colby doesn't know - yet - Bella and Nik have slept together, he'd be accusing Nik of taking advantages of her.

Mac tried to find out what the heck was going on - why had Dean and Ziggy split up, where were Dean and Willow, why are you staying at the Parata's  - but Bella wisely kept shtum, don't need anyone else knowing The Secret'.    Talking of Dean going off for a few days John made the relevant remark what about his customers - not just for lessons but for boards? Ditto for Willow too, did she let Jasmine know she was going off or just leave her in the lurch?  

I don't know if Mac is aware of the effect she has on Tane every time she bumps into him, there is a small area where they just can't avoid each other, gym which is downstairs from Salt, Salt itself, beach and home.  So good decision on her part to look for somewhere else but of course Ari won't want her to leave.  Look at it this way Ari - you can look forward to having her stay over, you can stay over at her new place, adds a bit of excitement and expectation.  Wow, Tane is pretty good on that guitar he was playing.  Here's a totally out there thought why don't he, Owen and Ryder get together and form a musical trio? 

Nearly got confused with the time line there - Roo was waiting for what seemed like ages for Owen, though she was denying that she was waiting for anyone, Mac was still there and it appeared late, then she's suddenly at home but  back at Salt Owen is there chatting to Roo seemingly at the time arranged.:unsure:? Had she really been there for hours?  Next day when she was telling Marilyn about it why did she say "Your ex husband"  when referring to John plonking himself down?    

After a lot of conniving and jostling e.g. getting rid of Alf who cottoned on and Ryder she got Owen all to herself.  They were sitting pretty close if self distancing both at Salt and on the verandah - is it two metres  in Australia?  And wasn't Roo touching Owen's cheek when she kissed or didn't kiss him -  so much for self distancing there.

Was it just a suggestion there in the trailer Mac could be moving in with Ziggy?  On one hand good solution Ziggy gets to stay at the Farm House and has someone to help with the rent,  Mac gets somewhere to stay with plenty of room for all her clobber.  But, and it's an important but, Mac is Dean's sister and Ziggy is Dean's ex who broke up with him because of Y-K-W which she can't tell Mac about.    Plus when will Ziggy tell Ben and Maggie she and Dean are no more?  

2 hours ago, H&Alover said:

I don't know if Mac is aware of the effect she has on Tane every time she bumps into him, there is a small area where they just can't avoid each other, gym which is downstairs from Salt, Salt itself, beach and home.  So good decision on her part to look for somewhere else but of course Ari won't want her to leave.  Look at it this way Ari - you can look forward to having her stay over, you can stay over at her new place, adds a bit of excitement and expectation.  Wow, Tane is pretty good on that guitar he was playing.  Here's a totally out there thought why don't he, Owen and Ryder get together and form a musical trio? 

I think that Mac is aware of the effect she's got on Tane, but it seams that she is the one who can't stay away from him. That's why I think she is the most to blame for this whole situation. She was happy to flirt with him and lead him on for months, she should've put him back to his place at the beginning and just not engage in any banter. The fact that she was in casual relationship with Ari is not an excuse, Tane is his brother. Then instead of putting Tane in opposite shifts at Salt as soon as she admitted her attraction to him, they kept working together, then she picked the fight with Amber because of him, give him the attitude because of his one night stands and at the end she moved in with no intention of moving out (as Nik said she's got the money she could've stayed at the motel). Also there were many times when she was kissing Ari while looking how Tane would react. Who does that! And once he asked her for some space, she kept trying to engage into conversation with him every chance she's got. Maybe she can't avoid him all the time, but she didn't have to go out while he was playing the guitar and simple 'hi' at the Surf Club would be enough. She might be with Ari, but I still think she is attracted to Tane. I really liked Mac when she came to the show, but this storyline really ruined her character. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lila_Q said:

I think that Mac is aware of the effect she's got on Tane, but it seams that she is the one who can't stay away from him. That's why I think she is the most to blame for this whole situation. She was happy to flirt with him and lead him on for months, she should've put him back to his place at the beginning and just not engage in any banter. The fact that she was in casual relationship with Ari is not an excuse, Tane is his brother. Then instead of putting Tane in opposite shifts at Salt as soon as she admitted her attraction to him, they kept working together, then she picked the fight with Amber because of him, give him the attitude because of his one night stands and at the end she moved in with no intention of moving out (as Nik said she's got the money she could've stayed at the motel). Also there were many times when she was kissing Ari while looking how Tane would react. Who does that! And once he asked her for some space, she kept trying to engage into conversation with him every chance she's got. Maybe she can't avoid him all the time, but she didn't have to go out while he was playing the guitar and simple 'hi' at the Surf Club would be enough. She might be with Ari, but I still think she is attracted to Tane. I really liked Mac when she came to the show, but this storyline really ruined her character. 

Mac has become very unpopular due to this story and the pairing with Ari has flopped. So sad to see a once popular girl be destroyed like this. What happened to the self proclaimed strong independent girl? Nope shes a girl dominated by men. Shame.

Alf's episode count this week:Four. Otherwise a sparse week, with only Leah, Marilyn, Roo and Justin managing three episodes.

I'm afraid I disagree strongly with the above comments about Mackenzie. It's almost misogynistic to suggest that a woman can't be friendly with a man other than her boyfriend without it being construed as provocative.I don't think she's done anything wrong at all and I think it's assuming a lot to say she never intended to move out of Ari's: She moved in in a hurry having exhausted all other options, and fair enough she didn't immediately start looking for another place but she didn't stay longer than what was reasonable either.Yes, she's attracted Tane and him to her, but so what? They both know where they stand.She's committed to Ari and has never pretended otherwise, he respects that.And yes, she could make more of an effort to stay away from him, but I think there's pros and cons for that one, as today's episode demonstrated.If she makes it too obvious, then it just creates tension.I don't see why being in a relationship makes her "dominated by men".And I think her and Ari work quite well together and have seen views from either side.I'm sure the social media crowd will always find an attractive young woman to hate for arbitrary reasons: Last year it was Jasmine and people complaining about her being with Robbo.

On the specifics of today's episode: I do feel sorry for Ari but he was assuming a lot expecting Mackenzie to stick around permanently.He doesn't know about the awkwardness between her and Tane of course, although he seems to be getting suspicious by the end.Mackenzie and Ziggy living together is a good idea, so long as Mackenzie can accept being on the outside with Colby's secret.(An even better idea: Have they got a spare room for Bella? I imagine Colby's twigged she's sleeping with Nikau given how many nights she's spent at his place.)It was what Ben and Maggie suggested in the first place, more or less.

I found Marilyn insufferable here.Why didn't Alf and Ryder just walk out of the Diner? They do know they don't actually need her permission to leave? Roo and Owen...moved fast but I guess they're old enough.Ryder says he's lived with Roo a couple of years: It's more like three. I'm not sure what the social distancing rules are in Australia (Neighbours seems to have mostly abolished touching but they all seem a lot closer than two metres most of the time) but it was pointed out that you're allowed to get close to work colleagues if the work requires it so no rules have been broken.

5 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

I'm afraid I disagree strongly with the above comments about Mackenzie. It's almost misogynistic to suggest that a woman can't be friendly with a man other than her boyfriend without it being construed as provocative.I don't think she's done anything wrong at all and I think it's assuming a lot to say she never intended to move out of Ari's: She moved in in a hurry having exhausted all other options, and fair enough she didn't immediately start looking for another place but she didn't stay longer than what was reasonable either.Yes, she's attracted Tane and him to her, but so what? They both know where they stand.She's committed to Ari and has never pretended otherwise, he respects that.And yes, she could make more of an effort to stay away from him, but I think there's pros and cons for that one, as today's episode demonstrated.If she makes it too obvious, then it just creates tension.I don't see why being in a relationship makes her "dominated by men".And I think her and Ari work quite well together and have seen views from either side.I'm sure the social media crowd will always find an attractive young woman to hate for arbitrary reasons: Last year it was Jasmine and people complaining about her being with Robbo.

On the specifics of today's episode: I do feel sorry for Ari but he was assuming a lot expecting Mackenzie to stick around permanently.He doesn't know about the awkwardness between her and Tane of course, although he seems to be getting suspicious by the end.Mackenzie and Ziggy living together is a good idea, so long as Mackenzie can accept being on the outside with Colby's secret.(An even better idea: Have they got a spare room for Bella? I imagine Colby's twigged she's sleeping with Nikau given how many nights she's spent at his place.)It was what Ben and Maggie suggested in the first place, more or less.

I have no problem with her, or any other woman, being friendly with men while in the relationship nor I find something like that provocative, but considering that Tane is Ari's brother and that they already had a lot of issues (which she was well aware of from the beginning), she should have stayed away and put as much distance between them as possible (I don't think that would be too weird she barely talks to Nik). She was warned by her friends and family to keep him away, but she just ignored them and kept flirting even though she knew she wanted Ari. Tane is a player and if she told him off at the beginning, I doubt their attraction would develop to the point that it is awkward and difficult to be around each other. You can't choose who you are attracted to, but you can chose how to respond. Maybe she couldn't avoided him all the time, but didn't have to try and engage into conversation while he was on his own especially after he asked her for some space. It looks like she wants to be with Ari, but she doesn't want to let Tane go. Maybe she didn't intend to stay there permanently but she only started looking for another place after being told off by Tane, someone wanting to avoid awkwardness and conflict would've been eager to get out of there. I'm not saying that Tane is innocent in all this mess, but considering that Mac is the one who is in the relationship , she should've drew the line long time ago.

I think that Mac and Ari work well together, and from what I've seen on social media they have got fans on their side. Tbh I'm surprised that Ari didn't suspect anything considering that few weeks ago Mac told him about her attraction to Tane. I don't think she is the character dominated by men, but I do believe that she's got more to offer then just being in love triangles. This is second love triangle in her first year on the show.

I think that Ziggy and Mac living together is a good idea, however I wouldn't include Bella and Willow - last time only girls lived in that house 3 out of 4 died. ?

Edited by Lila_Q
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lila_Q said:

I have no problem with her, or any other woman, being friendly with men while in the relationship nor I find something like that provocative, but considering that Tane is Ari's brother and that they already had a lot of issues (which she was well aware of from the beginning), she should have stayed away and put as much distance between them as possible (I don't think that would be too weird she barely talks to Nik). She was warned by her friends and family to keep him away, but she just ignored them and kept flirting even though she knew she wanted Ari. Tane is a player and if she told him off at the beginning, I doubt their attraction would develop to the point that it is awkward and difficult to be around each other. You can't choose who you are attracted to, but you can chose how to respond. Maybe she couldn't avoided him all the time, but didn't have to try and engage into conversation while he was on his own especially after he asked her for some space. It looks like she wants to be with Ari, but she doesn't want to let Tane go. Maybe she didn't intend to stay there permanently but she only started looking for another place after being told off by Tane, someone wanting to avoid awkwardness and conflict would've been eager to get out of there. I'm not saying that Tane is innocent in all this mess, but considering that Mac is the one who is in the relationship , she should've drew the line long time ago.

I think Mackenzie's just got a naturally flirtatious personality: She pretty much talks to Dean the same way! It seems to be like she bluntly shut Tane down every time he said anything suggestive right from the start, it's just the disparity between what she said and how she said it could be construed as a mixed message. It feels like a long time ago when they had that conversation on the beach where Tane accepted she was with Ari and decided to back off. So I think the line's been drawn, it's just a case of them working out a way to go forward and whether avoiding each other completely is really the best way to achieve it. I think she enjoys his company and maybe she's trying to get him used to interacting with her in a platonic sense.Giving him the job at Salt seemed to be at least partly down to helping out Ari by keeping Tane on the straight and narrow. Maybe she hasn't handled it as well as she could have done but she's made her position clear.