2020 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

I don't want to see a *pretty* stab wound inflicted by a bottle. Amazed that didn't get cut.

Christian on the surface seems like if Flynn (Long-haired yahoo incarnation) and some Douche Bikie had a baby..  There's probably more to him....

As for Owen we would have to see some documentation or hear an official address him to confirm the name.

Ryder's striped shirts becoming a trademark ala Pip's Sunhats, Mazzas LBDs in the 90s, Curtis' Palm Tree Shirt and Don's Hefner robe? The plot thickens!?

4 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

After previously being credited simply as 'Owen', he's now on the credits as 'Owen Slater', which makes no sense when his birth name was Harper and Slater was Evan's adopted surname unless he was also adopted by someone called Slater. (An article on the main site gave his surname as Davidson, but it hasn't been mentioned on the show.)

Yeah the credits definitely got things wrong again. I had to go direct to the script producer to find out Owen's proper surname so I could start using it in our cast lists/articles on BTTB a month ago (we were literally the only place to mention it, with all other sources using either Harper or Slater when including a surname).

Although I don't know if it's actually been used in dialogue in the past few weeks (I'm a bit behind due to having to take time off from the site), he's still yet to be credited correctly at Oz pace.

• Like 1

According to Wikipedia H&A character's list Owen's surname is Davidson.  Not  often a character's name is used in full, the last time we may, if we'd been quick, to see Owen's adopted name was when he showed his adoption papers to Ryder. What Wikipedia did get wrong was to state Owen and Evan were estranged but for that to happen they would have had to know each other first. 

Ryder's face when Owen told him he and Roo were going on a date - it is weird his aunt dating his uncle.?  I think I know why Roo backed out, though this time Ryder did make the right suggestions, it was because it was a proper date. So far her and Owen meeting up has been casual, nothing really planned.  Her and Evan weren't a couple in the conventional sense but she does feel guilty about seeing someone else so soon, especially if that someone looks exactly like the guy she was  falling in love with.   That casual stroll up to Stewart's Point was more relaxed though it left Ryder and Alf looking puzzled and she was looking at him in  a certain way and he understood why she backed out.  I did like her dress she wore for her non date. 

That is what was needed someone telling Justin why the op to remove the cavernoma was really necessary  without the emotional involvement and the risks if he didn't have it, like one of the blood vessels bursting.  Good use of the car engine analogy from Christian to explain his point. There was no faff, no "I'm Mr. Wonderful" just told it straight, which is probably what swayed Justin.  I smiled when they both shut Tori down.  Now he's had the  more detailed explanation he was able  to make an more informed decision.   Don't muck about do they when they decide?

Should have known it as soon as  Tane tells Ari his bad days are behind him they aren't -  well using a Panto reference "They're behind you".?  Two more dodgy looking guys you couldn't expect to see.  Not as if Tane owes them any money or favours, just that they are hoping to tempt him back to help them out so they need him more than he needs them.   How much pressure did they use on his ex house mate for him to tell them where he was?    Still awkward  moments when he and Mac are In each others company.    Nasty enough wound for Mac insisting she get Tane to the hospital., only as a concerned boss of course.  Only a brief shot but from the trailer but it looked like Mac was having a panic attack when the lift jammed. :unsure:

• Haha 1

Well, as many of us said, Bella and Nikau running away (and in a far from discreet manner) just made the situation worse and all this could have been avoided if she'd just gone to the station in the first place.And Colby and co were clearly out of their minds to tell the whole town, including a number of Angelo's old friends, that they had run away if they wanted to keep it from him. Of course, all of this has benefitted Detective Rosetta so for those of us hoping he gets his man...the game's afoot! There's a heck of a lot of people in danger of being charged as accessories if they don't watch themselves as well...

Tane probably did need a hospital visit, although as he then proceeds to sit in a hospital lift for ages without any real medical treatment, I guess it wasn't that bad? I thought Mackenzie was claustrophobic at first but it makes sense this would remind her of the last time she was trapped in the hospital.She probably did the right thing keeping the fact Tane knew the men from Ari, but it's a potential whole heap of trouble if Ari finds out...

Glad Justin managed to keep it together and have a fun day with Ava, hopefully not the last one... To be fair, being paralysed isn't the same as dying and hopefully they'll still be able to make some good memories if he does end up in a wheelchair.Their farewell was a real tearjerker moment.

Hmm...Last time I checked that Wikipedia page it just said 'Owen'. Checking the history, I see it was changed at the beginning of last week, so I'm guessing his surname was mentioned at Oz pace around then.

Ah well you know Wikipedia Red. ?

Maybe just me, but what was it about Angelo seeing Nik and Bella mucking about that got his antenna twitching?  Of course it didn't help later on when he overheard Irene say to Bella her trip away had done her good. Angelo casually asks Irene what trip was that whereupon Irene innocently drops her and Nik in it.  Give it to Angelo he soon found out all the details and thanks to the guy at the other end found out he hadn't been the only one asking about Bella and Nikau, the other person being a certain Colby Thorne.  He gets hold of the passenger lists for the flights up to the mountains and sees all the names of the persons of interest. Nothing to do with it really but Nik and Bella's names came after Mac's, Ari's and Tane's so I guess whoever gave the info was working backwards. Don't forget Angelo has only been questioning Dean, Willow, Colby and Bella , rest of the Bay haven't come into the equation.

To her credit Bella was acting pretty calm when Angelo took her away  and Nik had good instincts going off to find Colby, not that he can do much without raising Angelo's suspicions.  Not much  more he can ask  her about the events of that day, it was long after that that she found out what had really happened.  Is there anything he can charge her with about her taking off and not seeing her therapist like she said she was?

As a total aside still no mention of the letter Bella wrote to Irene, has she forgotten all about it. ?  Is it still sitting  in the drawer  in her room? :unsure:

Not too deep a wound, but deep enough that it did need stitches.  Good deal struck by Mac and Tane, he goes to hospital Mac doesn't call the cops, though nothing to stop other customers calling them.  Though I don't think we have seen the last of them.   Nothing indicated in the Salt scenes to suggest that Tane knew 'Bill' and 'Ben', Mac didn't know until after they had gone so she can still plead innocence if Ari asks.  Neat reminder of what Mac had gone through during the siege, everyone seems to have forgotten she was involved in it as well as the storyline concentrated on Marilyn and the effect it had on her and drawing in Ari.  Tane was very good with Mac, comforted her but didn't in anyway take advantage of the situation. Didn't appear to be any lift engineers about when the doors opened and everything carried on as normal, supposing that had been a real emergency?  

That must have taken a hell of a lot out of Justin playing footie (proper footie)⚽ with Ava.  He looked in real pain when he had his back to her.  I do feel she may have been going easy on him though, thank goodness Leah was there to give him a valid excuse for a break.   Justin doesn't see it that way at all, I imagine most people wouldn't, he's been an active man all of his life, sporty, surfy type and  he's a mechanic which is a physical job.  True being paralysed isn't the 'death' sentence it was, look at Jett, but it's a huge adjustment to make and some people aren't up to it. 

Leah got the job of taking Ava home, I'm guessing Nina has been kept up to date, and Buddy still banished to the garden again.?  We did have a woof over though. 

Good lord, even Alf has started calling Angelo "Rosetta" now.Irene really needs to choose her friends more carefully.I really hope that one day the folk of Summer Bay realise that they've been siding with the bad guy. Thorne (see how he likes it) seems to have pretty much given up any pretense of civility and shown how rotten to the core he is.Angelo might be a poor husband, but Taylor letting Colby use her for the sake of a cheap bit of revenge is definitely not trading up.Thorne finally has a moment of clarity and realises that behaving like the bad guy has made Angelo realise he actually is the bad guy, then just decides to carry on.And he actually called him a snake? Presumably he thinks that putting a block on someone's passport to stop them attending a family member's memorial isn't being a snake.(He behaved exactly the same way towards Alf that Angelo behaved towards Irene to get information on Nikau, yet Alf didn't call him out on it and neither did anyone else really.)Ethics aside, Willow's plan to provide Angelo with contradictory evidence was a good one.But Colby is clearly past saving, and it's at the point where Willow, Dean and Bella just need to give up on him and make sure he doesn't drag them all down with him.

Alf and Irene had a bit of trouble reading the room where John was concerned, seemingly dismissing his desire for company as "just Palmer".While Marilyn has landed on her feet and got her room back with the Stewarts, John is left rattling around in that house on his own: Does he even have Amber there anymore?

• Like 1

Irene, like the rest of us already knew, realised Angelo had tricked her into telling him Bella had gone away.  He used his old friendship to gather info on Colby. BTW neither Alf or Irene were siding with  the 'bad guy' they were siding with Bella.  They don't know anything of what happened, they just see Angelo 'picking' on Bella who has been through enough.  For some unknown reason it stated in some TV mags that Angelo 'dragged' Bella back to the station which wasn't the case at all.  Bella once again handled herself very well, answered Angelo's questions honestly, gave what it seemed to me at least was a very valid reason why she went away a for a few days.  Then recounting what had happened that day and how shocked she had been when Ross threatened her and Chelsea, then shot Willow impressed Angelo and he was more than satisfied with her answers.  It was a honest account of what happened.  He wasn't overbearing  and treated her with respect.  Naturally then Colby comes crashing in - 'saving' his little sister, getting Angelo's hackles up again.  He is absolutely doing himself or anyone any favours.  Bella did say Ross had never hurt her, maybe not physically, but he did emotionally and mentally. 

Not sure Colby had the authority to put the block on the Parata's passports - that would have had to come from higher up and he would have had a very good reason to convince them to do it. A senior constable from a small coastal town would need more than a suspicion that the guys in question were guilty of a break in and car jacking for them to do that. 

I know it was a touch of pot, kettle, but at the risk of repeating myself Angelo did use his old friendship to glean information from Irene.  We saw Irene tear Angelo off a strip but did we see Alf approach him about it?  Both men seem obsessive about what they are doing and won't/can't see anything else than trying  to outdo each other.  Colby is so sure he knows what he is doing when everyone else can see he doesn't.   He's going to lose support from all three of his allies the way he's going on.   

Pound to a penny that Angelo wouldn't just take the word of an anonymous  call from a waitress who had info on Ross, so handy there was collaboration from another source.  It meant Taylor was abandoned again so easy prey for Colby but I don't recall seeing him drug her or knocking her out and carrying her off  to the motel room.:unsure:   She went there of her own free will.  She really does need a female friend in the bay, her connection with Willow is tenuous and anyway would be tricky under the current circumstances. 

Nik was there again for Bella and he showed he can be grown up, assuring her of his support and telling her she didn't 'drag' him into anything and that it was his choice he went with her. 

Shame both Irene and Alf have missed the signals with John, but he is a private, proud man and wouldn't want to admit he's lonely. Strangely enough I think it would be Marilyn who would pick up on the signs.   I don't think Amber does visit anymore.  What in the blue blazes does 'read the room' mean?

8 hours ago, H&Alover said:

A senior constable from a small coastal town would need more than a suspicion that the guys in question were guilty of a break in and car jacking for them to do that. 

Not in this show apparently. In this small coastal town, a senior constable can apparently ransack someone's house with no greater reason than "He owns a black hoodie".

8 hours ago, H&Alover said:

What in the blue blazes does 'read the room' mean?

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/read+the+room

So. I know people think I'm getting at Colby but good grief, I struggle to think what anyone could find likable about him.Even his friends seem to be having a hard time remembering at the moment.It feels like he's turned this investigation into a personal battle between himself and Angelo, and is treating Taylor like a tool to get one over on Angelo with: Angelo messed with his sister, so he's going to mess with his wife. (I accept Angelo's treating it as personal as well, but I don't think he's lost perspective to the same degree.) Jasmine offered Taylor a sympathetic ear but it didn't seem to have any effect. It's ironic that when all this started, Dean backed off from pursuing Willow again because he didn't want it to implode if Ross' death came back to bite him. Of course, he then started dating Ziggy less than six months later, so now she's the one in the blast zone along with Jai and to a point Amber.

Nice of Alf and Irene to arrange for John to see Jett and it makes sense given Jett was the one there with him when he was last left on his own.It does feel a bit like putting a sticking plaster on it though: He's going to have to go back to that empty house afterwards.

ETA: Oh, and the promo at the end of the previous episode actually included the cliffhanger to this one. Sometimes it's not worth watching the episode...

• Like 1

Thanks for the explanation Red, never heard of it before.

18 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Not in this show apparently. In this small coastal town, a senior constable can apparently ransack someone's house with no greater reason than "He owns a black hoodie".

That was a house search in a small town, blocking a passport would involve different agencies, different police authorities.

You do seem to have a one man vendetta against Colby Red, but whereas before he could be a good cop at times, this seems to have gone out of the window over recent months.  At first it was the Parata's, though they didn't help themselves by acting so cagey, now of course it's trying to put Angelo off the scent from finding out what happened to Ross.  If he could be convinced to leave it alone chances are Angelo would back off and go and find other suspects to investigate. 

When Ross's body was found it made absolute sense  that his next of kin/last people to see him alive would be first in line for questioning. The cop part of Colby would have known that but he went into panic mode, disrupting everyone's lives.   They'd all, in some degree, come to their own resolution about the murder and dealt with it in their own way.  It's not just Willow, who admittedly isn't in  a relationship at the moment, but Dean who has Ziggy, Amber and Jai to think about.  Guess that is why Dean has had a change of heart about Ziggy coming home, be hard to try and keep things 'normal' with all that tension with Colby  and his stepping back from Jai, he doesn't want them involved any more than he can help. 

I think it has gone beyond Colby wanting to find out all that Angelo knows from Taylor, but I don't see it as being tit for tat treatment, Angelo has been very professional in his treatment with Bella and if it was anyone else apart from her, Dean or Willow Colby wouldn't have a problem with him.  I know you think Colby is manipulating Taylor but it seemed to me it was her decision to go back for seconds after her chat with Jasmine.  Her comment the morning  after the night before was telling - that she didn't feel guilty about cheating on her husband.  It looked like it wasn't our usual motel but the one Robbo and Jasmine  used when in hiding. 

I did notice there was another blazing row about the whole Ross/Angelo affair in the flat with the balcony doors wide open so anyone sitting outside in the Diner could hear what was being said.  Now either no-one was there at that time or everyone was wearing earphones or had selective deafness. ?

Hey at last Taylor makes contact with another female - Jasmine - about time.  At least Jasmine can relate to Taylor's feeling of being left on her own while hubby is off doing his job.  It was good, is that the right word, to see Jas talk about Robbo seemingly in a more relaxed way.   Is it just me or do the actresses who play Jasmine and Taylor look alike??

Irene had a ? moment about John and had a yarn to Alf about it.  It's what he needs, did he ever tell Jett about his stroke btw?  Awkward, but funny moment, when John thanked Alf for being a mate and put his arm around his shoulder but quickly removed it. I agree though, while going away and seeing Jett will be good, coming back won't be.