2020 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

2 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

So we get the confirmation about Evan/Owen (though it was pretty bloody obvious)

Loved how Palmer got done out of Free Gelato. ?

Anyone else feel like Jas was just shoehorned in?

Yeah I thought that too. The coffee bit made sense, but the scene after where Irene went from Marilyn to Jas sitting down after her counsellor's appointment felt a bit awkwardly put in to me.

----------------------------

Amber's comment about 'the night Jai was made' felt widely inappropriate. She says she doesn't know Ziggy or see where she fits in, yet makes no effort to get to know her because she doesn't want to I'm guessing.

Was nice to see Ryder and Owen bonding over his dad.

I wondered why there were several references to the fact Own and Ethan were twins - identical no less - duh we had worked that out already but still appeared to come as a surprise to Roo and Alf.  We did find out Evan and Owen were born on 12th June 1955 making them 55, tragically early age to die.    Mum's name was Juliette Harper and she was single, was it her decision for her boys to be split up or was that taken out of her hands?  Very unusual thing to do, especially with twins and cruel.   If she was  young,  say 20's or even younger,  she could still be alive and if Owen is of a mind to could look for her.  Ryder may not have known much about his dad but it was still more than Owen did, liked those scenes where Ryder was filling him in and his showing him Evan's last performance really touched Owen.   May be a cliché but Owen did admit he'd always felt something/someone was missing from his life so that is why he was drawn to the bay.

Owen must feel so betrayed as he can't ask his parents why they never told him he was adopted, his whole life has been a lie.  If Evan's parents didn't mention he had a twin I'm guessing they didn't know.:unsure:

It took a while for Marilyn to work it out, very unusual for her, but she finally clicked Roo and Evan had fallen for each other which is why she feels so awkward around Owen.  Would maybe not  be as bad if he wasn't not only the twin, but identical twin of Evan, but it's such a physical reminder. 

Amber still has a thing about Mack, all those digs at her being  posh. Why Mack hasn't done anything  to her?  Amber needs to get rid of that chip on her shoulder, sure Mack had a different start to life than she did but she ought to feel proud of what she has achieved.  Dean is stuck in the middle, needs to keep Amber on side so he can see Jai but doesn't wasn't to lose the closeness he has with Mack. I'd forgotten she'd been out of town when Amber dropped that bombshell so now has a nephew. 

Adults really need to be careful what they are saying around little kids, Jai's question came out of the blue and put Amber more than Dean on the spot.  She could have lied and Dean would have had to go along with it but she said Dean was his daddy.  She just better be telling the truth, lie to adults if you have to, but not to kids!  It won't be long before that is all round the bay.  

Mack isn't the only one Amber seems to want out of Dean's life, Ziggy is another one, so obvious she was wishing Ziggy hadn't joined them, the talk about old times meant to freeze her out.  Even Dean looked embarrassed when Amber mentioned that night could have been the night.   She's made a very dignified retreat and not thrown a strop like the old Ziggy would have. 

I think I can understand Jasmine's reluctance to go to Robbo's grave, a big part of her knows he's dead, but seeing his actual grave would make it even more real.  She'd see his name and date of death. 

On 30/09/2020 at 08:43, H&Alover said:

Different families have different dynamics, the way the Parata's act is their way, partly do to do with their culture maybe?  They do do it because they care.  They told Nik when they caught up with him that a warrant would be issued and cops would be looking for Bella.  Don't forget no-one else apart from Ari, Tane, Mack, Dean and Willow knew he was with her. 

I was glad to see Nik was mature enough not to have a  man strop when Alf told him Bella had asked him to give him back his job at the bait shop.   Good too that they have made up, they are good together. 

They did tell him, but my point is the majority of the speech was more focused on how the situation affected them. I think they should have expressed just why they were concerned and how bad things could have gotten. And while they do have moments, there have been moments where they do come off like they see Nikau is JUST a kid theyre looking after for as a favor.

And why would Nik have had a "man strop". If it was because Bella got involved when he asked her for space, that would be something Ive only seen certain female characters do. Just cuz Nikau has had his angry moments, it doesnt mean hes THAT petty.  

I think Nikau deserved that telling off from his uncles: He made a childish decision that affected a lot of people.(And despite the show trying to rewrite his character as "nervous around girls",  no way was he not sleeping with Jade.)I'm slightly annoyed that Alf was convinced to give him yet another chance by Bella's rose-tinted view of things: I don't think Nikau went along to help her, he went along because he thought his only options were going with her or letting her go on her own and never seeing her again.I guess I should give Nikau credit for not getting shirty with Alf.

Colby is playing a dangerous game and sadly Taylor seems to be the latest apparently intelligent woman letting herself be charmed by the bad guy.Unfortunately, Angelo isn't doing much good for his marriage by choosing to hang around the station glaring at Colby instead of spending time with her.He did at least agree to go view rentals with her: Colby probably saw that as a win but Angelo's hardly going to let the case go.

It has seemed as though Amber has more of a problem with Mackenzie than Ziggy, but maybe she feels like she's stuck with her.She did the right thing telling Jai that Dean was his father when she did, rather than telling an outright lie.And I did enjoy John's little cameo.

I wonder if maybe staying away from the grave has meant Jasmine's noticed Robbo's gone but hasn't been able to move on from him: She's been rather fixated at times on the idea of "What Robbo would want." Tori did well helping her but her controlling side seems to be spilling out with Justin.I can understand her worries but she needs to strike a balance like Leah has been doing.

Very hard for Owen simultaneously finding out he had a brother and realising he's never going to know him.So, the fact Evan and Owen are left-handed was referenced, although that's probably because Cameron Daddo is.Marilyn acted as though Owen slipping into Evan's place is a good thing but I'm not so sure: They need to recognise him as an individual.

1 hour ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

I think Nikau deserved that telling off from his uncles: He made a childish decision that affected a lot of people.(And despite the show trying to rewrite his character as "nervous around girls",  no way was he not sleeping with Jade.)I'm slightly annoyed that Alf was convinced to give him yet another chance by Bella's rose-tinted view of things: I don't think Nikau went along to help her, he went along because he thought his only options were going with her or letting her go on her own and never seeing her again.I guess I should give Nikau credit for not getting shirty with Alf.

No Bella did that. SHE was the one who decided to leave in the first place because she was the one that the police wanted to interview. The only effect Nikau coming along had was getting his family involved, which is basically why Bella came back in time.

And I doubt she sold Alf a rose tinted story. Alf looks like the type with an old fashioned view on how to treat women, so she likely just told him what happened and he accepted. Plus, this isnt the first time Ive heard of him dropping his "all young people are trash" attitude because one kid did something HE would do in his day.

Ranger you seem like someone whose ready to see Nikau as the worst no matter what. Can you really expect him or any other character in his position to have just let her run off to try to drag an adult over. And just because he had ONE beef with a person, does not mean he's ready to rush them over the slightest thing.

8 hours ago, Nephlim14 said:

No Bella did that. SHE was the one who decided to leave in the first place because she was the one that the police wanted to interview. The only effect Nikau coming along had was getting his family involved, which is basically why Bella came back in time.

And I doubt she sold Alf a rose tinted story. Alf looks like the type with an old fashioned view on how to treat women, so she likely just told him what happened and he accepted. Plus, this isnt the first time Ive heard of him dropping his "all young people are trash" attitude because one kid did something HE would do in his day.

Ranger you seem like someone whose ready to see Nikau as the worst no matter what. Can you really expect him or any other character in his position to have just let her run off to try to drag an adult over. And just because he had ONE beef with a person, does not mean he's ready to rush them over the slightest thing.

If Nikau's incapable of acting like an adult, then he should leave the decisions to someone who can.I don't understand why you think him stopping Bella from running away is such a complete impossibility.He went along with her for selfish reasons, or at least self-absorbed ones, and arguably made the situation worse: She'd never have got as far as she did without him stealing the money, and from what we saw of her on her own, she may not have lasted long anyway with no money and no food.Alf was pretty reasonable towards Nikau: Anyone who skips work for a week without a word could have expected the same. We saw what Bella said to Alf and it was as simple as Nikau not being at work because he was helping her. That's probably what she thinks he was doing but I'm not convinced it was as selfless as that.

You seem determined to jump on anyone who says the slightest bad thing about Nikau. Well, there's a lot of bad things to say.

4 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

If Nikau's incapable of acting like an adult, then he should leave the decisions to someone who can.I don't understand why you think him stopping Bella from running away is such a complete impossibility.He went along with her for selfish reasons, or at least self-absorbed ones, and arguably made the situation worse: She'd never have got as far as she did without him stealing the money, and from what we saw of her on her own, she may not have lasted long anyway with no money and no food.Alf was pretty reasonable towards Nikau: Anyone who skips work for a week without a word could have expected the same. We saw what Bella said to Alf and it was as simple as Nikau not being at work because he was helping her. That's probably what she thinks he was doing but I'm not convinced it was as selfless as that.

You seem determined to jump on anyone who says the slightest bad thing about Nikau. Well, there's a lot of bad things to say.

Because Bella's is not without agency in this situation. She was ready to leave with or without Nikau. It was already pointed out that she knew how to disappear and the reason I find it impossible to stop her is because from my knowledge, All the adults were somewhere else at the time and I doubt Bella would have waited.

And I am not "jumping on anyone who says the slightest bad thing about Nikau"

1. Im disagreeing and expressing my opinion.
  2. Youre the only one Ive been having this with. And mainly because you are trying to make a well intentioned action more sinister than it was. Nikaus has never been that selfish, and hes never been that manipulative, especially when it came to Bella.
  3. For all the bad things you believe there is to say, I ve yet to see you be this critical of Bella, who decided to run away to begin with, or Colby, who more or less put her in this position by killing Ross.

Of course men  have strops - they feel somehow a female stepping in and helping them is a slight on their manhood, but Nik was adult enough, this time, to recognise it for what it was.   Ari, the other week, could have had one when Mack showed she was better at fishing than he thought she would be and caught more fish than him.

Alf often has a gripe about 'todays young folk' and how it 'was different in his day', but   I'm sure he wasn't an angel all the time.  But Bella putting in an unsolicited word for Nik did bring him round as he realised Nik hadn't just taken himself off on a whim - I know you'll disagree on that Red.  We all know how stubborn Bella can be, even Colby, Dean and Willow agree on that. If she was determined to run, she would have let Nik think he'd 'won' then still gone.

OK maybe Nik did sleep with Jade as a casual, but Bella is his first serious girl which makes a lot of difference.

On your point Red about people jumping on others who don't like bad things said about Nik, aren't you doing the opposite?  He can be an idiot sometimes, but which of the bay residents hasn't been and they are fully grown adults, a lot older than him and who should know better. 

Taylor didn't come across as the shy and retiring type and could have shut Colby down anytime, he is a good looking guy, but no, she appeared - to  me at least - to be encouraging his flirting. 

Glad that Irene, well Tori mostly, got through to Jasmine who changed her mind about visiting Robbo's grave.  Tori hadn't visited it either it seemed.  That was quite a speech she made and it needed to be said, she's been holding all that back since he died, he was a tough guy, he could take it.  He was a few months shy of his 37th Birthday another one to die young. 

Tori is acting  bossy little sister/doctor with Justin, but she did have a very valid point.  Justin could have a  back spasm while driving or surfing, but even more worrying while looking after Grace. The least that could happen is he'd drop her and she'd land on her bum, no damage done apart from a startled Grace, but worst case scenario he falls badly and Grace is hurt. He'd never forgive himself, even if wasn't that serious.  It's a no win situation for him at the moment - but how long does he/can he leave it for? 

Could Owen and Evan have inherited their musical talent from mum or (unknown) dad? Owen's is clearly a bit rusty but it's there.   Spooky to think both Owen and Evan had been at the same concert but Owen didn't get to see Evan play, if he had he would have seen  his 'double' and maybe talked to Evan and found  out a lot earlier about their being brothers, fate eh? Something, I guess, happens with twins, you  tend to interchange them, bad enough when they are alive, they are still individuals, but when one has died even more so.  Owen has come into this situation blind as it were so a lot of questions he'd like answered.  Roo in particular is finding it hard as she did fall for Evan, now she has 'him' standing in front of her again, talking to her, wanting to know about his late brother which she finds hard to do. 

Me thinks someone is going to make a very, very bad move.?

41 minutes ago, Nephlim14 said:

Youre the only one Ive been having this with.

You've been doing exactly the same thing to H&Alover. And if you think I haven't been critical of Colby, then you really aren't reading my posts at all. As I've pointed out in the past, Colby could have stopped Bella if Nikau had bothered to tell someone what was going on: He spoke to her after Bella told Nikau what she was going to do, and was all set to take her to the police station there and then, and would have done so if he'd known what she was planning.So I really don't buy your argument "All the adults were somewhere else at the time."Nikau chose to run away with her and make things worse instead of putting a stop to things.

Alf's episode count this week:Three, and he was credited on Friday for no appearance.

I'm not sure that I'd agree with Justin that this isn't in character for Tori: She's often been controlling and made decisions that have affected other people without consulting them.I've pointed out in the past that Justin has gone through a lot in the last year or so, and maybe I should be more sympathetic towards Tori given that she went through most of it as well. Still, when Leah and even John are actually thinking about Justin's feelings and perspective, she doesn't look good trying to force the issue.If Justin's intending to stay like this long-term, then he's going to have to let Ava see it eventually.But Tori shouldn't have hurried things along without any thought as to how upsetting it could be to both of them.

We haven't seen Mackenzie's place this year, so no surprise she's moving out of it.Moving in somewhere temporary can become permanent.Whilst Tane seemed to immediately tense up when Ari suggested Mackenzie move in with them, Mackenzie didn't seem to think about it until she noticed the way he was looking.So I'm not sure if she's worried about controlling her own feelings or just about things being awkward living so close together.There should be room for her there with Gemma not around.I'm surprised by the reference to Ari having lived with a woman before: The suggestion in the past has been that he's always been living with his family (or in jail). Maybe they had a similar set-up once before?

Did Roo and Marilyn even know each other before they got old?