2020 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

Alf's episode count this week:Four, and he was credited on Friday for no appearance.

I guess I've still got a few flashbacks to how Irene was with Luc, and I don't entirely appreciate her calling Grace "Gracey". So, looks like not the cancer cluster for Justin but still something he should get seen to rather than ignore.Jasmine looking after him was kind of ironic given their recent history.Of course, I'm suddenly remembering Roo's chronic back pains that she refused surgery for: What happened to that, eh? And probably the best news in that storyline: Buddy!!!!!!! First time we've seen him this season, people were starting to worry.

Nikau needed Ari to come up with the idea of luring Bella to them, but fair play to him, he probably came up with the message on his own and put in a convincing performance.Unfortunately, it was kind of ruined for me by Bella's terrible out of character behaviour when she got there.I mean, she's just run out on Nikau, and I can understand her having second thoughts about upsetting him, but she should have reacted the same way Nikau did to seeing Ari, Tane and Mackenzie there, not just ignored there for the sake of a money shot of the show's new golden couple hugging while pop music plays. And then she casually sits chatting with Nikau about their relationship while everyone else is at the next table? I guess it was a team effort convincing her to come back.Colby continues to be terrible at looking innocent: Jasmine asks him if he's going to the gym, he sees Taylor there in gym gear, and instead of going there and waiting for her to turn up, he says no to Jasmine and then turns up with Taylor a few minutes later? It seems even Bella turning up hasn't put a smile on his face, since he's still not in control of the situation.

2011 would be before Bella went missing, so before Colby left the River Boys. It's always been indicated he joined the River Boys in his teens, so unlikely that he joined them later. I guess he was in Mangrove River at the time... (He apparently didn't even know that the restaurant where the River Boys hung out was called Angelo's at the time!)

On 24/09/2020 at 23:56, H&Alover said:

Agreed - Angelo didn't murder Jack, he fired at someone in the dark who had shot at him and he hit Jack who as usual was doing his off piste investigating.  I did read somewhere it may not have been him who killed Jack hence his re-instatement. ?  I know a lot of people have done  bad things, but some have redeemed themselves, so I guess it comes down to whether you like the character or not enough to be able to forgive them. 

It's already been gone into about Colby having been an ex River Boy, emphasis on the word ex. His career was on the line there for a while but he convinced McCarthy he wouldn't lie for any of them. 

Bella could have let Nikau think he'd talked her round then gone off anyway, she is used to doing a runner at short notice, but we could have this debate for ever and still get nowhere.   But as you said Red, she's gone off on her own now anyway.  One big difference between her and Nik Nephlim is Nik had his mum around during all his conflict all Bella had was Ross who just filled her mind with his own twisted view of the world.  Nik's dad may have been a bad guy, but he did love his son and from what Nik has told Bella they had good times together.  

OK Jai has blond curls, but so did I at his age but went dark around his age, so no reason to suspect Dean wasn't a  blond baby/toddler.  Three  of my great nephews were very blond when little but all have dark hair now though you can't see much of it as it's cut so short. 

Didnt Bella have a mom too? I heard she was with them until Ross killed her for trying to get Bella out. And what I meant in terms of them being similar is just the fact that theyve lived in ways that make them think running away is the best idea when it comes to the law.

And my point is basically that the situation they were in wasnt as simple as the adults tried to make it. So I chafed a bit with everyone just telling Nikau that there was a better way to handle it and not telling what that would have been.

Spoiler

As for Jai, I wouldnt put it past the show. And Im only suspicious because of when Amber decided to tell and the fact that this was way too convenient for a girl who openly admits she wants Dean back.

Yes absolutely great to see Buddy!!!!?:D

I don't see anything wrong with Irene calling Grace Gracey and if Tori has a problem with it she can tell Irene so. Anyways with Luc Irene did have a family connection she hasn't with Grace. 

Cancer wasn't mentioned but  the word tumour was and it's not known if it's benign.  I can see Justin's reluctance to have the op and we all know all ops carry risks.  It could leave  him  paralysed and he remembers how it was for Mason.  But on the other side of the coin the longer he leaves it the worse this tumour could get and the more riskier the operation. 

Yes Bella had a mum but she was under Ross' thumb too so not the same as Nik. 

Just what on earth is a 'money shot?? You can be too picky about things.   It doesn't matter who thought of the idea of luring Bella back, but Nik did a good job, I think Bella was getting towards the end of her tether anyway and I noticed she had hitched a ride back.   I think the 'grown ups' did a good job keeping out of it and letting Nik talk Bella into going back.   Colby was mightily relived when she walked into Yabbie Creek cop shop and I'm undecided if Angelo was pleased or not as it meant he couldn't put any more pressure on Colby.  Just my humble opinion but I think Bella will be fine with her interview, didn't stop Colby trying to elbow his way into it so he could 'advise' her.  He could have  claimed she's a vulnerable adult so would need someone with her but I think someone else would be appointed to do that task. Had to smile when Angelo closed the blinds on him and Bella.

Bella was six when she went missing and she's 18 now so I make that she would last have been in Mangrove River  in 2008, she's been in the bay for two years.  Colby did express surprise when Angelo said when they first met he used to own Salt when it was called Angelo's.  I wasn't that surprised when Taylor, who didn't seem that averse to flirting with Colby, said Angelo hadn't talked much about his time in the bay.  Colby would be better off asking discreet questions of Irene or Alf. 

4 hours ago, H&Alover said:

Bella was six when she went missing and she's 18 now so I make that she would last have been in Mangrove River  in 2008

Bella had been missing for six years when Colby first appeared, which was two and a half years ago, meaning she went missing when she was 9/10 and last lived in Mangrove River in late 2011/early 2012.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Bella had been missing for six years when Colby first appeared, which was two and a half years ago, meaning she went missing when she was 9/10 and last lived in Mangrove River in late 2011/early 2012.

My mind not working again, she was 10 when she went missing so was around in Mangrove River in 2011. 

Me first oh - OK.

I knew Bella would be OK in her interview, it was only Colby getting his pants in a panic in case she let anything slip.  All she was doing was going over what had happened that day which was the truth, she and Chelsea stayed with Willow while Dean followed Colby, that is all she knew and all Angelo was interested in. She did get upset which Colby told her not to, but Angelo would have been more suspicious if she hadn't, I know I would have been.  He did ask about how it was at home before Ross snatched her and she said Colby had stood up to Ross which Ross didn't like.  She kind of glossed over where she had been the days she was missing but was plausible in her reasons and didn't over embellish. I reckon he believed her as he said all she had to do is go back and sign her statement. 

On a side point would the murder of a small  time crook  really necessitate  a visit from  a city detective? ?  

Colby really lost it with her when she got home, which was quite unnecessary, she's told her story now, it can't be undone.  She did give him a tongue lashing back, but she did tell him she came back as Mack had told her he, Colby, would be in worse trouble if she didn't.  Oh and another row with  the doors open so all and sundry could hear.:rolleyes: Not his day as later he had to go round to the Parata's and thank Ari and Tane for bringing Bella back - must have been really galling.   I know Mack played a big part, but it was him having to thank Ari and Tane that had to have hurt.  Of course one thing he doesn't know yet is what happened between Nik and Bella!:whistling:?  I do hope one of them was careful, but seeing as it wasn't even contemplated when they set off I'm doubting it. Nik doesn't seem the sort to carry condoms around with him  'just in case' which goes in his favour.  In which case it'd have to be the morning after pill for Bella. 

I may have missed something but why and how did Nik get the idea  Bella had used him?  It was his idea to go with her, she didn't ask him to.  Was it because she ran off and he got the mad idea she didn't trust him?  So unlike Bella to go running after him, come to your senses you plank and beg her forgiveness.

Did love Ari and Tane 'ganging up' on him which was my thought exactly before  he said it, it's always good to see A&T working together instead of against each other. 

Colby has picked up on the  tension between Angelo and Taylor, though  them having a blazing row at the station was pretty much broadcasting it, and has moved in - why - to undermine him, how it that going to help him find out what Angelo is up to?  Seems like the plan is they will be staying a while if she was looking for a place, but now he has  got Dean, Willow, Colby and Bella's statements what's the need to hang around? 

More Buddy!?? I know wrong type of dog, but they don't have  a boxer emoji.  In our eyes Justin is being stubborn, but we're not in his position, he's currently feeling OK and the op is a risk, he's an active guy with a physical job and the thought he could end up paralysed by an op meant to help him wouldn't  bear thinking about.  With Mason it was down to an accident which  he had no control over, Justin can control his choice.  

Seems there's a bit of a confrontation between Ziggy and Amber tonight. 

5 hours ago, H&Alover said:

Me first oh - OK.

I knew Bella would be OK in her interview, it was only Colby getting his pants in a panic in case she let anything slip.  All she was doing was going over what had happened that day which was the truth, she and Chelsea stayed with Willow while Dean followed Colby, that is all she knew and all Angelo was interested in. She did get upset which Colby told her not to, but Angelo would have been more suspicious if she hadn't, I know I would have been.  He did ask about how it was at home before Ross snatched her and she said Colby had stood up to Ross which Ross didn't like.  She kind of glossed over where she had been the days she was missing but was plausible in her reasons and didn't over embellish. I reckon he believed her as he said all she had to do is go back and sign her statement. 

On a side point would the murder of a small  time crook  really necessitate  a visit from  a city detective? ?  

Colby really lost it with her when she got home, which was quite unnecessary, she's told her story now, it can't be undone.  She did give him a tongue lashing back, but she did tell him she came back as Mack had told her he, Colby, would be in worse trouble if she didn't.  Oh and another row with  the doors open so all and sundry could hear.:rolleyes: Not his day as later he had to go round to the Parata's and thank Ari and Tane for bringing Bella back - must have been really galling.   I know Mack played a big part, but it was him having to thank Ari and Tane that had to have hurt.  Of course one thing he doesn't know yet is what happened between Nik and Bella!:whistling:?  I do hope one of them was careful, but seeing as it wasn't even contemplated when they set off I'm doubting it. Nik doesn't seem the sort to carry condoms around with him  'just in case' which goes in his favour.  In which case it'd have to be the morning after pill for Bella. 

I may have missed something but why and how did Nik get the idea  Bella had used him?  It was his idea to go with her, she didn't ask him to.  Was it because she ran off and he got the mad idea she didn't trust him?  So unlike Bella to go running after him, come to your senses you plank and beg her forgiveness.

Did love Ari and Tane 'ganging up' on him which was my thought exactly before  he said it, it's always good to see A&T working together instead of against each other. 

Colby has picked up on the  tension between Angelo and Taylor, though  them having a blazing row at the station was pretty much broadcasting it, and has moved in - why - to undermine him, how it that going to help him find out what Angelo is up to?  Seems like the plan is they will be staying a while if she was looking for a place, but now he has  got Dean, Willow, Colby and Bella's statements what's the need to hang around? 

More Buddy!?? I know wrong type of dog, but they don't have  a boxer emoji.  In our eyes Justin is being stubborn, but we're not in his position, he's currently feeling OK and the op is a risk, he's an active guy with a physical job and the thought he could end up paralysed by an op meant to help him wouldn't  bear thinking about.  With Mason it was down to an accident which  he had no control over, Justin can control his choice.  

Seems there's a bit of a confrontation between Ziggy and Amber tonight. 

Tane: That's T&A!

Ari: Shuddup!

?

Edited by CaptainHulk
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, H&Alover said:

1. I think the issue Nik hadd with Bella leaving is the same issue that some might have if Nik ha one the same to Bella instead. It was the day after they made love, they were both virgins beforehand (to my knowlege) and they had both ssort of comitted to each other inaa emotional sense. Plus, despite what some may claim, Nikau was aware of what hed be giving up to run with her. So her leaving afterwards was probably like a slp in the face.

2. Cap: I should remind that I wa pretty late to the Paratas arrival, so I missed a few arcs. As much as I like it when those two stop fighting, I didnt really like them in that scene for various reasons.

• A) With the state Nikau was in, it just looked like them kicking him while he was down. He already felt like a fool and that Bella had used him, and they more or less just fueled that for their own benefit.
  • B) While Ari was more concerned than Tane was acting, they both looked kind of selfish with the dialogue they were using. There should have been a mention about the fact that if they hant come along, there would have been a warrant issued and that Nikau would have been caught in the crossfire when ARMED men started chasing after them. There should have been talk about them running out of food and ening up in the cold. There should have been talks about how they could have been attacked by a stranger or kidnapped. Instead it was just a rant about how they would have been affected. Not to mention how glad they were to let Nikau stay in his mood as long as they didnt have anymore grief.
  • C) It sort of reinforced my concerns about their dynamic. I know there was an arc where Nikau helped Ryder after he got harassed by some con artist. I missed that arc and Id like to know how Ari and Gemma had reacted. Mainly because Im noticing a pattern where they keep disapproving him helping people outside the family. Its partly why I made an earlier comment about them treating him like a gang recruit than. nephew, along with the fact that they kept telling him to keep his mom out of the loop.

3. All this said, I LOVE the arc Colby is going through. I didnt see him in his early years, but whatever redemptive qualities he may have had were Long gone when I saw him. After weeks of using his badge to harass a family for the most petty and hypocritical reasons, hes getting his Karma

Edited by Nephlim14

No-one saw Colby in his younger days, he just turned up in the bay two years ago as a replacement for Kat, he stopped Mason get beaten up by two River Boys. 

Different families have different dynamics, the way the Parata's act is their way, partly do to do with their culture maybe?  They do do it because they care.  They told Nik when they caught up with him that a warrant would be issued and cops would be looking for Bella.  Don't forget no-one else apart from Ari, Tane, Mack, Dean and Willow knew he was with her. 

Colby is playing a dangerous game by flirting with Taylor the way he is, no matter that he claims he knows what he is doing. He's not going to be telling her how the investigation is going, she's said he keeps things close to his chest. At least Dean had his thinking head on and checked out with old contacts in the River Boys to find out that Angelo - why do I always have the Abba song go through my mind when I hear his name or see him ?? - had had issues with them back in the days he was  last in the bay.  

I was glad to see Nik was mature enough not to have a  man strop when Alf told him Bella had asked him to give him back his job at the bait shop.   Good too that they have made up, they are good together. 

Although I can see why Amber would be wary of Ziggy being involved in Jai's life, any responsible parent would be, as she said she didn't know her from a bar of soap - great expression - she came across as quite threatening. 

Willow, wrongly, jumped to the conclusion Nik had talked Bella into sleeping with him when it was the other way round, but was supportive as a big 'sister' would be.