2020 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

Very moving goodbye between Evan and Ryder, where was Roo going with him?   His time with his dad may have been short, but now he has got some good memories of him. Ryder did accept why Evan was doing what he was doing and this way Ryder can remember his dad in a relatively fit condition. Did I hear Quinn get  a mention?:unsure: I'm glad Alf was able to talk Ryder round, he would have regretted it if he hadn't spoken to Evan again, been great if he had landed a fish!  Looks like it's just going to be Alf and Ryder as both Martha and Roo are away. 

Not a lot Bella could say to Ryder, but nice to see them together anyway.  Is it me or does she appear more grown up than she did before she had her therapy?  Not just Nik plying her for answers but Colby was at it later.  Natch Colby doesn't trust Ari, but that is more for personal reasons than actually have any proof he was involved in the break in.  Ari was rubbing it in his face though, picking up Mac and running back into the sea with her right in front of Colby.   Maybe it's because of their run ins with the law that makes the Parata's think the police have it in for them personally when it's not always the case.  Got narky when Colby and co came round saying they were doing door to door enquiries, as long as that was true, but Tane seemed to jump to the conclusion it was just them the cops were picking on.  Colby zoned in on Nik's black hoodie, making him jumpy,  leading Tane saying it was his, but there must be quite a few of those in the bay.  Unless it had been washed , could Colby had enough reason to take away to be tested for fibres?  Nik is definitely acting suspicious.  Colby did discover it was Tane who took out the lease, but he doesn't seem to have any means of financial support as in regular income, but he got all defensive. 

See John has to bring up his suspicions about the Parata's again.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Alf's episode count this week:Five, for the second week running.

The Paratas don't make it easy on themselves.They treat the police like the enemy, so the police treat them like the enemy.They spend so much time acting like they've got something to hide that everyone thinks they do have, even those closest to them.While it was good that Ari didn't ask Mackenzie to lie, it's not so good that she decided to do so without even being sure he was innocent.Nikau's acting so cagey it's no wonder Bella's suss. Again there's that feeling that I should feel more sorry for Nikau than I do. His upbringing wasn't much better than Bella's for all his fond memories of his father and he's similarly lacking in positive role models.But his weekly decision to run away, exacerbated by Bella's well-meaning decision to feed him police information, has now hurt innocent people. If the police didn't have a reason to go after him before, they do now.I've no idea what Tane was trying to achieve going to the police station, since threats were never going to make Colby back off.Was he hoping to embarrass him in front of his superiors? Hopefully they're underestimating the folk of Summer Bay: No doubt some will take Colby's word for it but I think there'll be quite a few willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Not that Colby's coming across as the good guy in all this, as his approach seems to be to try and make the evidence fit the suspect, and then try and bully a confession when that doesn't work.His reason for making Ari the main focus of the investigation, personal dislike aside, seem to come down to "He's got a new house" when a)it's not his and b)that was before the robbery.Putting the Patatas in a line-up seems like an odd tactic given that Leah already knows what they look like: It doesn't seem likely that she'd suddenly remember one of them was the thief if she saw them.Is he going to make everyone wear black hoodies?

Less than a week back living together and John and Marilyn are already getting on each other's nerves.Justin's three favourite girls are Leah, Tori and Grace? I think I hear Raffy and Ava shouting "Hey!"

16 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Alf's episode count this week:Five, for the second week running.

The Paratas don't make it easy on themselves.They treat the police like the enemy, so the police treat them like the enemy.They spend so much time acting like they've got something to hide that everyone thinks they do have, even those closest to them.While it was good that Ari didn't ask Mackenzie to lie, it's not so good that she decided to do so without even being sure he was innocent.Nikau's acting so cagey it's no wonder Bella's suss. Again there's that feeling that I should feel more sorry for Nikau than I do. His upbringing wasn't much better than Bella's for all his fond memories of his father and he's similarly lacking in positive role models.But his weekly decision to run away, exacerbated by Bella's well-meaning decision to feed him police information, has now hurt innocent people. If the police didn't have a reason to go after him before, they do now.I've no idea what Tane was trying to achieve going to the police station, since threats were never going to make Colby back off.Was he hoping to embarrass him in front of his superiors? Hopefully they're underestimating the folk of Summer Bay: No doubt some will take Colby's word for it but I think there'll be quite a few willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Not that Colby's coming across as the good guy in all this, as his approach seems to be to try and make the evidence fit the suspect, and then try and bully a confession when that doesn't work.His reason for making Ari the main focus of the investigation, personal dislike aside, seem to come down to "He's got a new house" when a)it's not his and b)that was before the robbery.Putting the Patatas in a line-up seems like an odd tactic given that Leah already knows what they look like: It doesn't seem likely that she'd suddenly remember one of them was the thief if she saw them.Is he going to make everyone wear black hoodies?

Less than a week back living together and John and Marilyn are already getting on each other's nerves.Justin's three favourite girls are Leah, Tori and Grace? I think I hear Raffy and Ava shouting "Hey!"

Man, they'd kill him if they heard or ar the very least give him the stink-eye and send him to Coventry for an episode or two!

Colby's going for the Parata's because of their history and because of their history the Parata's are putting up resistance against Colby, no-one is going to win there. Even if it wasn't Colby investigating there would be the same problem because anyone of the other Yabbie Creek cops would have looked into their history.  Mac jumped the gun there, making it look bad for Ari and her, though Colby has let her off the hook there. She must have completely forgotten there would have been witnesses- not just Justin -  to Ari turning up at Salt when he did.  Talking of witnesses apart from the fact Leah does know what all the Parata's look like, it was dark, so couldn't identify anyone apart from the fact they were wearing a black hoodie, which as Tane pointed out there must be hundreds of  in the bay, and tall.   As for the house, Colby already knows Tane is the lease holder, not as if, as I said before, the money taken from the till wouldn't be enough to pay a months rent.  OK Tane's ability to be able to rent the place may come from somewhere less than legal, he said it was a favour a friend owes him, but that's got nought to do with the Diner.   Nik is the only one, it seems, to have something guilty to hide and his doing a runner has added to that.   Of all the days he goes on the lam, there's has to be a  bus strike.?:lol: His jumping into Tori's car was a total spur of the moment thing, he's going to get one hell of a shock when he sees Grace! 

John picking up his old suspicions about the Parata's wasn't going to go down well with Marilyn, btw Colby said they were doing door to door so I hope they called on John and Marilyn.   Marilyn is doing what she usually does, over fussing and John being the independent type he is, is rebelling against it.  What a soap coincidence he fell just where he did and Tori just happened to be driving by.  

We found out where Roo and Even were off to -  Brisbane.

• Like 1

Were we meant to be on Nikau's side? Every time he shows a hint of worthiness, we get an episode like this where he's just selfish and pathetic. I remain perplexed that the show made him a young adult character and then made his only friends a couple of teenagers who are more mature than he is.He does deserve to get punished for this, but he probably won't be.Tane's way of handling things seemed less than responsible: If he just dumped Grace on the Morgans' doorstep and bombed off (which seemed to be the case unless he was very good at hiding when Justin had a look round), then she could have potentially been there for hours. Did he assemble the pram after finding it in the car or something?

On the other hand, were we meant to be on Colby's side? He has definitely got the right household this time, but it's more by accident than anything else. He's so determined to pin it on Ari that he's completely ignoring all facts, logic and evidence: He's so blind to the facts that he twice needs it pointing out to him that he's Ari's alibi, and then he jumps to the completely erroneous conclusion that Grace must have been returned because he told Ari about the kidnapping.(Because...no-one else in town knew?) Colby's spent most of his time on the show in Cowboy Cop mode (when he hasn't been crossing the line into full-on Rabid Cop) but it feels like the mask is finally slipped as he abuses his position for a personal agenda yet again.

All Nikau is is a car thief, so that is all he can be charged with,  the moment he found he had a passenger he stopped and got help, did he  instinctively chose Tane because he knew Ari would act differently? Good idea to clean Tori's car down of Nikau's prints, hope he remembered the ignition key, but did Tane remember to wipe his prints of Grace's car seat which is what  I thought Grace was returned in.:unsure: I'm inclined to think Tane had just left Grace and maybe got her to make a noise so she'd be heard.  Tori said apart from being a bit dehydrated she was fine. Tane is probably good at not being found when the need arises.  Tane can't know yet who Tori is which is why Nik had to tell him the relationship between Grace and her, Nik remembered seeing Grace at Marilyn's.  Will Colby investigate the Parata's about  the fact Grace was deposited at her home - oh scrub that - Tane  got that info from her driving licence/id which was in her car, meaning anyone could have.  

Tori had to utter the traditional lines "Why aren't you out there looking for her".  :rolleyes:  

That did wipe the smirk off Colby's face when Ari  said at the time off the theft he was with Colby, lucky for him (made me smile).  Would have been a logical assumption but Ari didn't know what was going on, not that Colby would have believed him.  It is so obvious it's  a personal vendetta between him and Ari, but now the rest of the family are being dragged into it.  Bella knew about the accidental kidnapping as did Marilyn and I'm guessing John, Leah.  Although we didn't see them I suppose Alf and Ryder did.  Nik did  a pretty good job of acting innocent when  Bella told him about Grace.  Not sure she believed him when he said he'd been helping Alf but she passed on that lie when Colby asked her if she'd seen him.  

Finally we got a date for when Mikaere died, not even a year yet, no wonder Nik got so uptight when it looked like Gemma had moved on.  From what she was saying to Marilyn she 's going back to NZ to take part in the ceremony.  

Jasmine didn't appear to be to happy when she heard the news about Grace. 

More of the same really. Colby, who's done a lot worse and kept quiet about it, giving Nikau a lecture about how it's best to own up to things was the height of hypocrisy.But the Paratas continue to do themselves as few favourites as possible.I did enjoy seeing them leave Colby powerless after his borderline illegal and largely pointless search of their house last week (no way was that a door to door, he clearly makes a beeline for the Paratas every time a crime's committed), but once again, they acted like they've got something to hide and got him even more determined to pin something on them.Why not just do the line-up so then Colby will still look hopeless when none of them get picked out? Bella and Nikau...It was a sweet moment in some ways but I really do think she deserves better: I wasn't too impressed with how he handled her self-harming, I was completely unimpressed with his reaction to her breaking up with him, and stealing Tori's car, with or without Grace inside, is a new low.She has enough bad influences in her life as it is.

Jasmine has well and truly gone off the deep end now and isn't even doing a good job of hiding it.Are people on the internet really that thick? I'd have hoped at least one person would ask for further information rather than saying "Is this the line for the hysterical witch hunt?": Tori didn't leave Grace unattended in the car, she was right next to the car. How would Robbo react? Well, he was pretty paranoid, but then he did kidnap Tori himself that time so wouldn't really have a leg to stand on...