2020 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

On 26/06/2020 at 20:00, c120701 said:

The Parata house is really confusing me, I thought the door near the kitchen was the back door as Nik used that door to check out the pool, but then there’s been scenes of people entering that door from the front exterior and exiting via that door to go elsewhere.

Same! Front/back back/front was all to pot I think. Then the characters used the back door, to walk around the house to play footie on the front lawn. My head hurts.

Edited by 630si
  • Haha 3

On 27/06/2020 at 00:07, Helena said:

Was that the Braxton house that we seen beside the palmers.

Yes, they did live next door to each other and we have very occasionally seen the houses on the other side of the road.  That bungalow must be expensive to rent, it's got a pool, It's a four bed, furnished too which racks up the rent.  Ari moving in will help with the rent which I guess he and Gemma will be paying Tane. 

We did get a bit more background on Tane, seems he was an OK guy,  sporty and easy going until Ari went inside, it was then he went off the rails and by the time Ari came out he'd gone to the bad as they say.  It's a bit belated if he's trying to make amends now, Ari 's had that task trying to earn a  decent wage doing a ligit job, only to have Tane swan in with the cash to rent a home for them all.  I'm getting tired of Tane  riding  Ari about the dire straits he, Gemma and Nik found themselves in since they arrived in the bay.  He couldn't work because he'd been Injured at work and didn't qualify for sick pay.   Has it been fully explained why they had to leave their last home  suddenly, so suddenly they had to leave some of their belongings behind which Tane brought them. 

Ari, being that much older, would have a different work ethic to Nik, to Ari DJ'ing isn't the most steady of jobs, could see John/Alf having the same conversation with Ryder.  How old is Nik btw, if he's in his 20's does he really need or want to live with his mum, lovely as Gemma is? She keeps banging on about them being family but family members do need to fly the nest at some point. 

It would be odd for Maggie being in an empty house, there usually has been someone there.  There would have been the odd night Ben & Maggie weren't together but that would have been when she was in hospital giving birth to Ziggy and Coco and when she was in having her cancer treatment.  Oh and of course when he moved out when he was having his breakdown.  I'm guessing the motel Ben is staying at  is that motel?   A rare mention of the money they got from the sale of the complex.  

Edited by H&Alover

9 hours ago, H&Alover said:

Yes, they did live next door to each other and we have very occasionally seen the houses on the other side of the road.  That bungalow must be expensive to rent, it's got a pool, It's a four bed, furnished too which racks up the rent.  Ari moving in will help with the rent which I guess he and Gemma will be paying Tane. 

We did get a bit more background on Tane, seems he was an OK guy,  sporty and easy going until Ari went inside, it was then he went off the rails and by the time Ari came out he'd gone to the bad as they say.  It's a bit belated if he's trying to make amends now, Ari 's had that task trying to earn a  decent wage doing a ligit job, only to have Tane swan in with the cash to rent a home for them all.  I'm getting tired of Tane  riding  Ari about the dire straits he, Gemma and Nik found themselves in since they arrived in the bay.  He couldn't work because he'd been Injured at work and didn't qualify for sick pay.   Has it been fully explained why they had to leave their last home  suddenly, so suddenly they had to leave some of their belongings behind which Tane brought them. 

Ari, being that much older, would have a different work ethic to Nik, to Ari DJ'ing isn't the most steady of jobs, could see John/Alf having the same conversation with Ryder.  How old is Nik btw, if he's in his 20's does he really need or want to live with his mum, lovely as Gemma is? She keeps banging on about them being family but family members do need to fly the nest at some point. 

It would be odd for Maggie being in an empty house, there usually has been someone there.  There would have been the odd night Ben & Maggie weren't together but that would have been when she was in hospital giving birth to Ziggy and Coco and when she was in having her cancer treatment.  Oh and of course when he moved out when he was having his breakdown.  I'm guessing the motel Ben is staying at  is that motel?   A rare mention of the money they got from the sale of the complex.  

These days people are staying at home until their 30s with rent being so expensive and if they have disabilities. 

• Like 2

A ray of hope for the Paratas.When Ari said that he didn't want to lose another brother, it was the first real sign that he actually cares about Tane and the consequences of his lifestyle for him, rather than just worrying about Nikau getting involved in it.It's hard to be sure if Tane has taken Ari and Gemma's words seriously, but he accepted the olive branch (and shovel) that Ari offered.Apparently a night with Mackenzie makes him more agreeable.As for Nikau, given that the Paratas can only barely afford a place together, I doubt he could afford a place on his own.

It's hard not to see Evan's actions as self-serving and he's just leaving Ryder frustrated.He's left it to the last minute to get to know him and it might not be enough.

Alf's back but didn't have time to do much.The storyline of Marilyn finding herself without either John or the Paratas is somewhat underdeveloped (she was at a loss when it was just her and John, so she really should have thought more carefully before choosing the Paratas over him), with John just getting one brief scene.

Edited by Red Ranger 1

Gemma knows  deep down Ari cares about Tane and Ari worries if that if Tane continues to live the lifestyle he does he could end up like Mikaere.   Tane is just being stubborn refusing the money Ari offered him, as Gemma keeps saying they are family so should all contribute.  Gemma, Ari and Nik's (if he bothers to turn up at the bait shop that is) share could go towards groceries, and other household items, utility bills. Nik wanted to duck out of helping at the bait shop again but Gemma, I think, talked him round. 

Not a bit embarrassing Ari and Mac getting caught sneaking out of his room the morning after the night before. :whistling::blush:   Nik's reaction was hilarious and Tane was envious, maybe not the right time to hint it was his turn next.  What sort of woman does he think Mac is, jumping from one guy to the next just because Ari said they weren't back together.  

Would have taken a lot for Ari to swallow his pride like that, showed he is the bigger man but fair dos to Tane he did accept Ari's hand.  Let's just enjoy it while it lasts baywatcher.  On the subject of them constructing a hangi as they are only renting would they be allowed to do that, unless once it has finished they fill the hole in again.  Going back to front and back doors Nik went out the back when he went for the pizzas, but Mac left by the front door.  Not afraid of the walk of shame obviously.:D:wink: 

Sweet that John is keeping an eye on Marilyn but not pushing to move back in, cheeky comment from Roo about why Marilyn didn't offer him the spare room.  I'm trying to remember if she has ever lived alone for long.  There may have been a time when  she was a lot younger.  

Naturally it had to be that secret Evan is hiding.  He very reluctantly told Roo who immediately is pressing him to tell Ryder.  But that would be  putting it all on Ryder's shoulders and he doesn't want to guilt trip him.   "I'm dying so I thought I'd come and see you in my last days so you can't turn me away" which I guess is want Evan doesn't want.  Maybe his plan is (or was) to visit Ryder, get to know him as much as he could, then leave before his condition gets too bad. He's not helping by being so reticent about not talking about himself.  Do we reckon Quinn knows which is why she gave him Ryder's address? 

Welcome back Mr. Stewart!  He has some catching up to do, starting off with John and Marilyn not living together.   Had he been kept up to date about Leah or is that a nice surprise awaiting him?  The news about Ben and Maggie will shock him. He's been gone so long I can't remember if he was around when Robbo and Mason died.:unsure:  Then of course he's to yet meet Evan, the man who deserted his daughter, can't wait for that.  

• Like 1

I don't get Marilyn.  She made out to Alf & Martha that she had been feeling that way about her marriage before the Parata's but we never had any indication of that.  Perhaps it was how John reacted to Jett's situation that started it?

Did we actually see Ziggy properly move in with Dean?  I thought she had just been staying there after the Marco fallout.  I'm glad she's feeling bad about how horrible she was to Maggie.

? at Alf calling Evan "Errol".

I thought Roo was going to put her foot in it with Ryder after he'd spent some time with his dad but luckily she found out what he'd said by being cagey.

Evan has put Roo in a really difficult position.  I'm disappointed that Evan couldn't bring himself to tell Ryder because it's just going to make things worse when Ryder does find out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, H&Alover said:

Going back to front and back doors Nik went out the back when he went for the pizzas, but Mac left by the front door.  Not afraid of the walk of shame obviously.:D:wink:

It's the other way around, the door next to the kitchen that Mackenzie went out of is indeed the back door as @c120701 originally deduced ?

Though it's H&A, so there'll always be occasions where characters do use the least logical exit to leave a house!

I've looked through Friday's ep and I can't say that I've seen any continuity errors in regards to characters approaching one door on the exterior and entering the opposite door on the set though - it's all made sense to me so far. Nik didn't leave the house to check out the pool, he went out the front door to get his stuff from Marilyn's, Ari then left out the same door and we followed them out to the front. They did the same thing in reverse when Nik came back, and we didn't actually see Nik and Tane leave the house to go play footy, they were just there in the next scene after the Oz ad break.

I think the main question that some will start to ask in coming weeks is "Where's Gemma's bedroom in this four bedroom house...?" ? Again an all too common occurence in the show!

8 minutes ago, H&Alover said:

He's been gone so long I can't remember if he was around when Robbo and Mason died.:unsure: 

Yep he was there, remember he proposed to Martha at the vigil for Mason & Robbo on the beach.

• Like 1

Yes, the kitchen door was clearly identified as the back door yesterday, since Gemma could see Ari and Tane in the back garden from the kitchen window.Given that people leave Irene's house through the back door and then presumably have to walk round the exterior nine times out of ten, I think it'll make as much sense as anything else!

I found Alf rather annoying in that episode.I guess it is frustrating to come back and find he's out of touch, but hey, what did he expect? He knows what the town's like. He can't come in on the first day back and start playing the town sheriff again, making demands of Roo and wanting to go lecture John or Evan about things he knows nothing about.That said, having started off as the shiftless absentee father, Evan is kind of going down in my expectations.His behaviour towards Ryder is coming across as rather manipulative, almost like he's trying to play out this fantasy of giving his son something to remember him by.

I think it'll be more of an issue tomorrow, but as far as I'm aware Ziggy's still living with Maggie, so I'm not sure why her saying so was considered worthy of a cliffhanger.Anyway, Ziggy is doing a lot to make up for putting the boot in.As for Marilyn, I'm really not buying her as the victim but then Alf's been mollycoddling her for about thirty years.